Getting the motorboard out of a Cornwall I...

Mighty Favog

Has anyone ever done this and is it as simple as using a little pursuation from the inside with a rubber mallet?

I'm thinking of going the way of converting my Corns to Cornscala II's and Bob is now offering new motorboards for the project.

All I would need to order are the motorboards, different networks, midrange drivers and horns.

Oh.......and he can make new grill boards as well to fit the new midrange openings and other driver locations.

I pulled a few and they came out pretty easy.....didn't even need a mallet. Why....the motorboards are glued in, but the grill cloth wraps aound the board egdes. What you wind up with is a wood to cloth glueing rather than a wood to wood glueing.If you find that you do need a mallet, use a strip piece of wood as an impact point like a 1 foot section of 2X4.

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

The only thing I could see on mine was that it looked like they were held in with long indutrial staples. The kind you'd see holding a pallett skid together. Of course, I'm sure they're glued too.

If I do go this route I'll probably screw in the new boards as well as maybe some liquid nails. Just one screw near each corner to hold them in place while the glue dries. At which point I'll probably have some of Bob's B-3's for sale. [:P]

I pulled a few and they came out pretty easy.....didn't even need a mallet. Why....the motorboards are glued in, but the grill cloth wraps aound the board egdes. What you wind up with is a wood to cloth glueing rather than a wood to wood glueing.If you find that you do need a mallet, use a strip piece of wood as an impact point like a 1 foot section of 2X4.

Yo fritz,

My '75 CW1's have the grill cloth wrap around a removable hard-board front. Several years ago I axed that same question and was told by Andy (hornbuilder) that the port shelves were shot and glued into motorboard as well as the side boards.. To beat out the motorboard would make a mess of the ports. What am I missing here? Could it be construction year dependent? Does Bob offer a new motorboard with new port shelves?

Regards,

tc

If your Cornwall’s are 84's like mine I would bet they are well glued as well as stapled every 6 to 8 inches. If you don't care about the current motorboard/baffle then pull the staples and use a pattern cutting bit in a router the go around the perimeter and then use a guide across the port shelf. Easy for me to say as I wouldn't do it. Time to learn how to build if you want to do this or find some earlier Cornwall's to beat up on. this is only my opinion, you may try it and they will pop right out or maybe not...

post-42841-1381963469004_thumb.jpg