Projector HT: 3 LaScalas (LCR) OR Klipschorn w/ LaScala Center [I own both]

o0O Bill O0o

Built in Lascala

Belle Center

My Current setup

Picture note: The first two are other "found on the internet" system setups the last one is mine.

Okay so I want a Projector, I am moving to a new place, and I have Klipschorns and LaScalas. What is the best way to integrate my speakers? Build in? Free standing?

I also received Floyd Toole's book on audio (http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092) which is a great collection of why things are in audio and what must be overcome in Audio reproduction. Even touches a bit on room design. So I am a bit charged up in getting a listening/ home theater room..

I like the clean look of bulid in -especially behind an acoustically transparent screen. However, it's costly. Free standing is much simpler (less $$$) and can look cool too. I am willing to make false corners for the Klipschorns. I am also going to allocate some resources for acoustic room treatment, audio rack and some good seating.

Any ideas?

Not that it matters but I think the first picture you found belongs to Peter [Y]

I say what ever works best is what works best for you. My room will allow my front three to be in corners and along the wall. My rears however, will be hidden in the space under the stairwell (they're LaScalas and I had to do some framing)

If your room allows it, I'd put the Khorns in the front with a LaScala in the middle. Other two LaScalas in the back. If you can bury some in the wall then power to you! As long as it's an empty wall (no electrical wires & such going through the cutout) then hiding them would certainly give you more room space. That was one reason why I buried my rears. Ok, it was a VERY small reason.....the wife was the main reason [{][:@]

I'd certainly go with the K-horns, well sealed into corners (either real or artificial depending on your room geometry).

One writer many years ago (was it Robert Long?) seemed to think that K-horns did better with unobstructed wall for 5 feet out from a corner, rather than the usual 4 feet, so you might want to build artificial corners that size, even though it is harder. Several people (from Heyser to Klipsch themselves) suggest ceilings at least 8.5 feet high for K-horns, although Artto's famous set-up apparently does well without that height (but he has Bonners).

A lot depends on the room, of course, but I find that the K-horn's ability to go down to below 40 allows me to bring in the sub below 40 only, which in my room sounds best.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive projector (2D, not 3D) that holds its focus and looks as good as the best flatscreens (with a much bigger image, of course) ... any suggestions?

Bill, I know you've seen my photo, but I'll post it here for reference. I'm using three LaScala behind an AT screen. The benefit that stands out the most regarding an AT screen is that the speakers can be located so that the sound comes exactly from where it should. A center speaker anchored behind the screen at the correct height does make a difference. Don't shy from AT because of cost. Check out Seymourav.com he sells the material so that you can DIY a frame and build it yourself. Mine is a 2.4 ratio and cost right at $400 to build.

Disregard the speakers over the subs. I was experimenting with "height" channels.

Posted Image

I'll be curious to see what input you get here. I've considered changing my left and rights out for Khorns. I didn't because of my room dimensions. I didn't think I'd get the right angle from the Khorns. I could be wrong. I'm not doubting they could improve things, but am doubtful whether it's necessary or not. The LaScalas matched with the Danleys are outstanding, and the extra extension from the Khorn doesn't seem necessary. Might you agree? Of course, you own them already, so the short response from me would be to use the Khorns!

Are you working with an unfinished room? I probably would not build la scalas into the wall. May look a little strange for resale. But if the room is unfinished i would definantly do my wiring through the wall accounting for all possible future arrangments. I havent heard the khorns but it seems the 3 matching lascalas would be pretty great. Keep the khorns in a seperate 2 channel and get some corns/scalas/heresies for the rears. I would also consider the acoustically transparent screen. The idea has always impressed me. Having the screen lower as well as having the sound coming from the "source" are pluses.

couple of quick replies. tragusa3, I love your setup! I always admire it, as it so close to what I have AND you have the AT screen.

I'll be working with a finished room. I have kept the Klipschorns separate from the Hometheater because it's not easy to integrate their design and capability with the rest of the Hometheater. I'd have to have a separate crossover frequency for the Klipschorns and I would need two good corners.

Right now from all your great suggestions I am leaning towards a Acoustically Transparent screen AND the current LCD Sony WITH 3 LaScalas. I am of course I will keep the subwoofers. The Klipschorns would go in another room, potentally the next most popular room in the house. For 5.1 surrounds, I would go for another Lascala pair. I know a few that can be had for not too much. Still I think the Heresey would work better for 7.1, by not taking up all the space in the room. PLUS I could wall/ in-wall/ in acoustic treament mount the.. oh decisions :-)

Not that it matters but I think the first picture you found belongs to Peter Yes

It does, of my unfinished (but now further-along that that picture) room.

My room is a combination music/TV/movie room. The Klipschorns in corners are great for music. The La Scala is a fantastic sonic and dynamic match for movies, TV and occasional multi-channel music. The fact that it is inset into the wall gives it a clean look and I gain a lot of room. I'd love an AT screen, but I watch a lot of TV so the plasma works well for that. The wall inset f or the TV would allow me to a fit a current 65-inch display in there to replace the 50-inch that is there now. I am looking into a motorized screen to drop in front of the plasma for movies, but the low ceiling and clearing the 35-inch high La Scala would limit me to a small screen (probably around 100 inches). Since the suspended ceiling isn't in yet, I am considering scary schemes like an AT screen streched out on a hinged frame that would retract up into the ceiling, perhaps with sheer dark colored cloth on the back side that would be flush with the drop ceiling when retracted. Such a screen could be huge and would be cheaper to build than buying a motorized screen.

So my choices reflact my usage. Yours might be completely different!