Albino (white) Heresy II Project !!!

elviszappa

Two things came together to help me conceive this
project and ultimately get it done. First I ran across www.voltiaudio.com and began lusting after a re-veneer job on
Hersey II. After I realized Greg’s work was way out of my budget I started
thinking of a DYI job. One of the biggest obstacle (other than never veneering before!) was living without my speakers for
a extended period of time. At the same time I’ve been taking some heat from my
wife over those “big brown speakers” and how the do not match are blue and
white decor. What to do?

I had foolishly toyed with the idea of painting my Hersey’s white
and be done with it but I knew there would be no turning back and veneering
them would be a lost dream. Well perusing craigslist, just before Christmas,
low and behold there was listed a pair of Hersey cabinets in black for $20!!! I quickly snatched them up. This was the
perfect answer for me, paint these and save my originals for future improvement.

The new ones where an odd 2 way version of Hersey’s that I have
been told may have been used as surrounds in a movie theater. Luckily it was a
easy task to remove the wood blocking the tweeter cut outs and with that done
all my drivers fit perfectly. It took 5 coats of industrial latex enamel to
cover them completely and give me a good hard finish. I know they may not be
very many people’s cup of tea (I’m still getting use to the look myself) but it
did allow me to kill two birds with one stone. All I need to do now is find
some round Klipsch terminal cups to finish them off right.

post-29296-13819634840714_thumb.jpg

Before I found these cabnets it was my intention was to go for a piano type finsh but these have a industral/pro speckled finish over oak (I think) so I knew it would never be smooth without a total surface sanding. That was more work than I was willing to put into these. This is a close up of the finish

post-29296-13819634890216_thumb.jpg

Those white Heresys have a cool and modern look. I like them! Have you thought of building factory-style slanted risers for them, and would you paint the risers white or black?

BTW, if you route the crossover opening to the 1986-on rectangular style, you could later install the Heresy III upgrade kits and have modern looking speakers with the latest specs and improved sound.

Heresy IIIs definitely sound better, with clearer mid-range and stronger bass.

I have my Herseys on low stand to accommodate my room layout. To make up for any loss of low end I added a Klipsch KSW 12 sub. They make a nice combo. Part of all this upgrading/updating I bought a crossover upgrade capacitor kit and titanium diaphragms for the tweeters from Bob Crites. I removed the crossover from the terminal cups and mounted it them on wood blocks, Bob C. style. I do need to upgrade the wood to something a litter prettier (I used a piece I had laying around). I cut some wood rounds to block off the terminal cups openings and I'm going to mount new binding posts, (like the ones in the pic), to them. They wiil stick out but will do until I can find some proper round cups.

capacitors

post-29296-13819634921664_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I did find the matching round treminal cups and add those with the new binding post. I also ended up going with a all black front by taking the cloth off the grill frames. This is about as wife friendly a setup as I could come up with. Not a typical look...that's for sure, but I do like it!

Z

Z

2Q==

post-29296-13819684186388_thumb.jpg

At the same time I’ve been taking some heat from my
wife over those “big brown speakers”...

Heresy speakers aren't really big. There was a time when that was called small, even bookshelf size...

The white ones look really nice in the room with the black fronts. What does your wife think about them?

Bruce

I'm a fanatic about having a "clean" look. Since it's a open rack, I built a false back out of luan plywood that looks like the wall behind the cabinet. It sits about 3 inches behind the cabinet. I even added baseboard to the bottom if it. I have holes behind each component that I feed the wires through. The wires feeding the speakers are Monoprice 12AWG speaker cable (for in-wall istallation), in white, so you don't notice them against the baseboard. I'll post some pictures.