Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group

Rick

I think FMC would discourage you from hot-rodding an old Mustang if it kept you from buying a new one. Any manufacturer that does not sell product ceases to exist.

Well, Ford recognizes these as different markets. That's why you can buy almost everything you need, including a new body and frame, for a 1966 Mustang, FROM Ford, and drop in a new crate 5.0 engine. FMC actively supports DIY enthusiasts because they know that fervent body of supporters: A) buys new Ford product, B) buys parts, C) acts as their best advertising spokesmen.

Ask any dealership owner that will give you a straight answer and they'll tell you they make higher margins from selling parts than selling a new car.

If you want to help, go buy some NEW gear and stop pushing the DIY projects that blur the lines between Klipsch product and what ever the bastardized stuff out there is. It's gotten to the point that the CS team has to get S/N before ordering parts for someone because the warranty parts were being depleted due to the DIY folks building their own "klipsch" speakers.

The only part I can immedeatly think of woudl be a K-33-E woofer. Other than that what parts are people using for the DIY stuff that Klipsch is honering a warranty on when said speaker is over 5-years old? K-401? Nope. K-77? Nope. K-55's? Nada. I think we know what morphed speaker we're talking about as well a Jubs. But the Jub wasn't officially produced as a home speaker, or was it?

But in reference to those two DIY projects, those are two speakers that people want and Klipsch doesn't make.

Now I do understand that there are Ti diaphragms that fit current model magnets as an upgrade but what's wrong with that?

No surprise really, the acquisition of API (Energy, Mirage, Athena) and Jamo over the past years seemed to be attempts to get worldwide branding and distribution channels for Klipsch 'Global'. Those companies have been largely disbanded and nearly all employees of those companies lost their gigs in the process. My guess is that many more dozens of lives will probably be adversely affected.

From the Media Center -

About Klipsch Group, Inc.

Privately held Klipsch Group, Inc. owns four of the most respected
premium speaker brands in the audio industry—Klipsch® (established
1946), Jamo® (established 1968), Mirage® (established 1977) and Energy®
(established 1973). Chairman and CEO Fred S. Klipsch along with his
wife, Judy, purchased Klipsch & Associates from founder and audio
pioneer Paul W. Klipsch in 1989. In 2005 and 2006, the company acquired
the Denmark-based Jamo and Canadian-based Mirage and Energy brands
respectively. Since then, Klipsch Group has expanded operations
worldwide, selling a wide variety of premium speakers, including
headphones, iPod docking stations, home theater systems, in-wall and
in-ceiling products and professional cinema systems worldwide.

End of an era folks. It's been mostly fun, at least getting to know so many of you has.

M

C'mon guys... this is a moment for respectful concern to first and foremost the human face of the Company, followed by its legacy over the decades. Speculating wildly at the worst possible outcome is something of a slap to those who've spent years taking pride in their work at Klipsch. We weren't asked because it wasn't our decision to make. An explanation and details will come in time. Patience.

[Y]I agree.

The main thihg Audiovox needs to know is Klipsch is a company that is LOVED.

The founder is LOVED

The level of cooperation and helpfulness of Roy Delgado, Trey Cannon, Steve Phillips, and Amy Unger is LOVED

The extraordinary dynamic range of the Klipschorns and Jubs is LOVED

Movies have more clarity and impact with K-horns or La Scala IIs or Jubs

A great, but typical, moment was when PWK suggested that an owner of fairly new K-horns not buy an uprgrade kit, but wait a few years for a more significent upgrade. In case the customer had money burning a hole in his pocket, Paul suggested that he give it to his favorite charity instead.

Heritage lovers are LEGION. Within a 5 block area in my old neighborhood in 2004 there were 6 households with heritage speakers, and only one house had the least expensive (Heresy). The other houses I frequented in the area did not have good sound equipment, so it might be said that Heritage had cornered the local hi end market. I was the only Heritage owner from my neighborhood on the forum, so one might guess that thhere are about 5 Heritage owners for every one on the forum, although with such a small sample that might be risky.. There were at least two pairs or Heritage where I worked (SFSU). Sliding over to a special showing of 2001: a Space Odyssey at the Exploratorium, we found several La Scalas behind the screen, and up the side of the theater. La Scalas were on either side of the 'scope screen at the local Berkely art house, as well.

To borrow from a comment by the founder of Stereophile, no other speakers trigger my musical gestalt as much as Klipschorns. They take me back to the sound of the 5 orchestras I've played in.

Yep I've got to agree. Go buy some NEW Heritaga and support the cause. Besides for all those thinking the sky has already fallen it won't be around long but I doubt that will be the case.

I'd love to own a HT with the larger Heritage speakers but their cost is prohibitive to me...When I had the money I went to Indy to audition them (the only place I could find that had them to audition) and couldn't justify the cost over my Reference based HT.

Earlier someone said to the effect that if you really want to help Klipsch, go out and buy new Klipsch speakers, and stop doing DIY stuff.

I'm sorry but I am sure that the parts department at Klipsch earns its keep. Nothing wrong with supporting your products, or else someone else will. In my eyes thats awesome, shows how much a company stands behind their product.

• Klipsch Employees

For the record...PWK sold the company 3 times...Once in the 70's, the pro side sold in the mid 80's and then again in 1989.

We do have the k-77, k-55 and k-33 in stock for the NEW product. it can be use in the old product for the most part but only as a replacement.

Folks have been building the own "klipsch" speakers for years...heck the company had to start a law suit years ago against Speakerlab for doing just that.

As for new vs. old...have you heard the LS II? I have owned many pairs of LS and a pr of LS II...the LSII sounds better. (IMO) The same could be said for the other products in that line. Oh yea...PWK was there and involved when the shorthorn, Rebel, Forte, Chorus and others were built...KG, Tangent...so yes, Paul understood that the Khorn, as good as it is, is not the speaker for everyone...True, any company that does not move forward fails.

As for changing PWK's products...the only time Paul became mad at me was when I ask about adding stuff to be back of the K-400 horn to "stop the ring" for AL K. He got so mad that he started to toss me out of his house. Mrs. VK stopped him, reminding him I was asking the question for someone else.

I have tried to stop the rebuilding of Klipsch product for as long as I have been with the co. As a company, we have tried to go out of our way to make all our customers to feel like family. Many of you on here know where many of us live and have our presional numbers. When it comes down to it, people are getting up set about a speaker. In the real world, speakers don't amount to much. The people here on the forum and that work for this company are what matter. No matter who owns the stock and writes the checks we should all remember the people invloved and continue to count each other as friends. Even if we all loose our place here, it will not kill us...we will pick ourselves up and move on. I see none of us taking a nose dive off the roof over this.

Past all that, there should be some great chances to get into product lines that the company now has not been able to break into. Maybe your next high end car will have Klipsch audio system in it...or your next MP3 player comes with Klipsch headphones...

The one thing you can count on is that if it has the Klipsch name on it, the people here will do all we can to up hold that name.

Will the people that own the company make money off this deal, I sure hope so! IF not why sale or why ever buy the company in the first place. PWK turned his hobby into a business. Speakers were easy for Paul, putting up with bullshit was not.

• Like 1

As a company, we have tried to go out of our way to make all our customers to feel like family. Many of you on here know where many of us live and have our presional numbers. When it comes down to it, people are getting up set about a speaker. In the real world, speakers don't amount to much. The people here on the forum and that work for this company are what matter. No matter who owns the stock and writes the checks we should all remember the people invloved and continue to count each other as friends. Even if we all loose our place here, it will not kill us...we will pick ourselves up and move on. I see none of us taking a nose dive off the roof over this.

That may be my greatest concern with this potential sale. I would hate to lose this "family" that many of us became a part of over the years. Could that mean no more pilgrimages? Yeah, we could do something "unofficial" but still. Believe me, I was extremely upset last summer when my flight to Little Rock got cancelled and prevented me from attending the pilgrimage. For all intent and purposes, I might as well missed my actual family reunion. Still pissed about it to this day. I guess that is why if there are any more in Hope, I am going to figure out a way to get there that does not involve having to change plans (perhaps fly to Chicago and drive down with Mike/'Dr. Who' or fly to Detroit and drive with Glenn/'Picky').

Yeah, in the end, it is only a speaker and yes, my RF-7s will still sound just as good regardless what happens to the company itself, but would hate to see a company that I've really come to admire to end up getting destroyed an become a shadow itself by some short-sighted management at Audiovox (or whoever ends up buying the company) and just put out more "McSpeakers" like any of the other bargain/low-end brands found at Walmart or Target out there. Case in point - I've become pretty good friends with much of the staff at a local radio station (WRXL 102.1 out of Richmond). I fondly remember the whitewater rafting trips we went on, hanging out at Kings Dominion, and even at the ski area where I patrol at (they rented a condo and was doing a "remote" from the ski slopes.). Since Clear Channel bought them out, that station is only a shadow itself. They let all the staff go and changed the format, just becoming another Clear Channel "McStation" . I don't even listen to that station anymore. I just don't want to see the same fate become Klipsch.

All I can really do here is just wait and see how this all pans out and can only hope for the best. Regardless, I'll still listen to and enjoy the various Klipsch products that I do currently own.

• Moderators

gotta love how stuff just disapears around here

Ha... poster's request, jacksonbart. It's all good.

Maybe I wouldn't delete half your posts if they were actually relevant.

(sorry, couldn't resist)