Vinyl? Should i do it?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Growing up, we had Vinyl records, but to be honest, my earlier years were spent trying to record music from the radio on a tape, hoping the DJ wouldnt talk to long into the song so i could hit that "Play Record" at the same time...remember that? holy cow...Since then I've been using CD's since they came out and now i plug the memory stick into my PS3 and play tunes from that.

I would love to hear some good vinyl(Floyd, Zep, ZZ top) on my Belles, I checked on ebay, older vinyl records are fairly cheap. Can you even buy new albums on vinyl?

Whats your opinion, is it worth investing in at this point?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't concider buying LP's an investment because I'm not a business or reselling, but I have been buying albums...again. Started out this time last year with my old collection from the 80's, 50 or so . I now have around 200+/-. Some are new, some from the "bay", others from local record shops,GW, antique stores. Buying from the "bay" is risky since you can't see it before hand to look it over, but I have had good luck for the most part.

As far as places for new here are a few.....

http://www.elusivedisc.com/default.asp

http://store.acousticsounds.com/AcousticSounds

http://www.musicdirect.com/

Playing records is a different experience from playing CDs or other digital media. It's like barbecuing versus microwaving, meaning it's more complicated and less convenient, but also more satisfying.

Also, a cheap CD player can sound okay, but a cheap turntable will not, and a worn or low-quality cartridge will damage your records. You can get a decent turntable for a few hundred dollars, but avoid those $99 USB 'tables.

Lots of forum members are getting good results with Technics SL-1200s, as well as the many variants (SL-1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800). The '10 models (SL-1210, etc.) are just the same, but black in colour. Look for at least a Mark II, as the Mark Is are an earlier design and are really old by now.

Quite a few recording acts nowadays release their music on vinyl as well as digital media, but new LPs are expensive, especially some of the really good-sounding premium pressings.

Toronto must have some good used record shops. Here on the Island, there are several within a few blocks of my place, and used good-quality LPs can be bought for under $10, sometimes way under.

Playing records is a different experience from playing CDs or other digital media. It's like barbecuing versus microwaving, meaning it's more complicated and less convenient, but also more satisfying.

Also, a cheap CD player can sound okay, but a cheap turntable will not, and a worn or low-quality cartridge will damage your records. You can get a decent turntable for a few hundred dollars, but avoid those $99 USB 'tables.

Lots of forum members are getting good results with Technics SL-1200s, as well as the many variants (SL-1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800). The '10 models (SL-1210, etc.) are just the same, but black in colour. Look for at least a Mark II, as the Mark Is are an earlier design and are really old by now.

Quite a few recording acts nowadays release their music on vinyl as well as digital media, but new LPs are expensive, especially some of the really good-sounding premium pressings.

Toronto must have some good used record shops. Here on the Island, there are several within a few blocks of my place, and used good-quality LPs can be bought for under $10, sometimes way under.

Yes.. for many of the same reasons stated above.....

Guest Anonymous

From what i understand the sound is alot warmer and more full. The other thing i have noticed about more recent digital recordings either itunes download or cd is that the gain seems to be turned way up...holy...i cant take it.

Oh, it is definitely an investment. At least from my point of view. Most hobbies are and vinyl is a great one to get into.

The whole ritual of picking out the record, pulling it out of the jacket, removing the sleeve and placing it on the turntable. Then cleaning it, sometimes it just needs a little brushing or some D4 fluid to get the darn finger prints/dust off of it. Picking up the tone arm and setting it down on the record with a little static or a click on the run-in groove. Then....Beautiful Music!

There is nothing like it, IMHO! And sound quality? WOW! Selection......there were so many records made that the selection seems endless.

I've picked up a few large collections and I could of never compiled such great music. A lot of it, I'd never heard of prior to getting into vinyl, but really love today.

Darn near every CD that comes out, there is vinyl pressed also. So, most music can be found on vinyl. There are some fantastic re-issues also, but as mentioned, can cost a premium.

Should you get into it? Only you can answer that. But for me, it has opened my eyes (and ears) to music I never knew existed. It can be a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby. But don't forget it is a hobby and most hobbies involve cost. Do some research and make the decision. You can start off pretty inexpensively, a used turntable with a new cartridge and some thrift store or yard sale records can be had for a reasonable price to get you started. A $10,000 turntable is not unheard of either, but you don't have to spend that "yet".

Something I found helpful to building my collection is asking friends if I can "Store" their vinyl? Most are more than happy to get that box or boxes out of the closet and have someone enjoy them. Heck, they were never going to play them again and I tell them, if you want them back, just come and get them. I probably have 200+ records or so on "permanent loan" of a 3000+ Collection.

My opinion? Same as "Runninshine's..... Yes!!! [<:o)]

Keep us posted and ask questions,

Dennie

Whats your opinion, is it worth investing in at this point?

Honestly? I have been replacing my old favorite pop, rock, and fusion LPs with SACDs and CDs from Amazon marketplace (mostly used). Some of the new remastered SACDs (multi-channel) are revelations - since I now hear details in those multi-channel remasters that I've never heard before. The difference vis-a-vis old, worn-out and noisy LPs is very audible (see setup). Some LPs were terrible when they came out of the sleeve 30-40 years ago (...I can name titles...).

Note that I own a good, low noise turntable (Empire 398) that I still use for the good vinyl recordings that I've had from 25+ years ago - mostly DG and Philips classical recordings that have not been played more than once or twice. These are good when I want to listen to something "new"- however, they are usually played at a lower volume than the SACDs, DVD-As and CDs, since I can hear the limitations of records (SNR, lower dynamics, ticks and pops, and less-clean highs/percussion/orchestral string sections). This is truth for me.

However, If you like to do the "thift store" thing, by all means - find a good turntable and a reasonable RIAA phono stage. But I would put those extra bucks on better drivers (TAD-4002s)/horns (K-402s), IMHO. Cheap, used CD/SACD/DVD-A disks on Amazon are better deals for me...

Chris

By all means dive in. I enjoy the hobby of vinyl greatly. Most used titles in my area are in the $5 to $10, but I have picked up some nice titles from the $2 bin of my local used record stores. I picked up a Thorens 160 in perfect condition and which operates flawlessly recently for around $200. I have a weekly treck to the local used record store to see what has shown up.

Also much of the vinyl released does not use the heavy compression found on recently releases, so the vinyl does sound fantastic compared to the CD.

I have a percant for tubes, so I have recently built myself a tubed phono preamplifier for around $150. Just another extension of this aspect of this hobby.

Enjoy!

Honestly? I have been replacing my old favorite pop, rock, and fusion LPs with SACDs and CDs from Amazon marketplace (mostly used).

One point that I should make: I don't listen to the type of music that most people complain about compression/loudness wars, so I don't have a reason to buy LPs. CDs are always higher quality in the titles that I'm looking for. I realize that some music is so badly compressed and otherwise abused the recording process that the only way to listen to the music is to get it on vinyl, where the recording/mixing/mastering engineers cannot do like they can in CDs/MP3s. But that kind of music isn't my music -- at all. I guess that I'm lucky...

Chris

It is a little known secret that is gradually becoming known...many records made back then did not all get sold. There are wharehouses around the country that have stored brazillians of new sealed records from years ago. Now with the internet, a lot of these have been coordinated with databases online so you may search and buy these records. I have had good luck with lpnow.com, but there are many sources online for sealed unplayed new old records. And new records are being made as well.

I listen exclusively to records and own no CDs, never made that transition. Most of my records are 30 years old and because of my care for them, they are clean and quiet. Part of the ritual of record playing is cleaning them properly and handling them right... it just takes a few minutes but makes all the difference as the years go by.

There are still amazing deals out there. A few years back I had was able to buy a collection of records from a radio station - a weird one in Austin. 13th Floor Elevators, complete Tangerine Dream, just totally wonderful stuff in perfect condition (over 100 albums for $60!!!).

By all means. You'll love it.

When my kid was 16 he wanted to listen to vinyl. we picked up an old thorens on e-bay, cleaned it up and did some mods and he just can't get enough of it

If you ever get to Rochester,NY you'll have to hit THE HOUSE OF GUITARS. They have all sorts of LPs on their lower level, new and old. Thousands of them!

BTW, you'll find the new vinyl is a much heavier guage than the stuff used back in the 60's and 70's.

The whole ritual of picking out the record, pulling it out of the jacket, removing the sleeve and placing it on the turntable. Then cleaning it, sometimes it just needs a little brushing or some D4 fluid to get the darn finger prints/dust off of it. Picking up the tone arm and setting it down on the record with a little static or a click on the run-in groove. Then....Beautiful Music!

[Y][Y] Well said Dennie, I'll second that emotion.

I love the art of the covers & liner notes the best. I love the smell and feel of vinyl. I even kind of like that old musty smell of 78's. There is no substitute for actually holding and playing a record. Soon one turntable is not enough, then you need more cartridges, inner sleeves, outer sleeves, disc washers, cleaning fluids, little ion zappers, record holders, frames to hange them on the wall, cabinets to hold them all............when will the madness stop!!

It is not convienient and you can't use a remote. You kind of have to invest yourself a little in the process of listening. The fact that music was recorded in an album format (as opposed to a bunch of singles) gave the artist the opportunity to be a little creativity perhaps. I had read this was partly why the Beatles held out so long from releasing their catalog on itunes.

Oh, it is definitely an investment. At least from my point of view

\

Most addictions are. Oh, you said hobby. Hobby, yeah thati's it.

And sometimes tics and pops..... along with the beautiful music. [:o] You don't at least brush off much less clean your stylus?!? The horrors...

There is nothing like it, IMHO! And sound quality? WOW! Selection......there were so many records made that the selection seems endless.

And cheap. Often $1 or even less at thrifts and the like though be sure to check condition. Some are beaters. Like the box of musty maybe even moldy landfill my brother brought me from his girl friends father's estate sale. I think they were going to the landfill (at least I hope the bonehead didn't pay money for them... he wouldn't tell me). That said the vinyl that I did look at looked like it might clean up pretty good. I understand turntable and an amplifier and/or tuner and/or receiver - I think 3 pieces of stereo equipment sold pretty well as did the TT. But albums were piled up in floor in basement before somebody boxed 'em up and put 'em on the pool table.

Some think of LPs more as ***** targets. "PULL" RIP OB.

I've picked up a few large collections and I could of never compiled such great music.

My better half would probably kill me if a brought home a large collection given the piles of LPs and CDs in our office now I've yet to finish catloging and finding storage for. [:$] But I also find some really good CDs for $1 or $2 or 25 or 50 cents even.... Or some for St Ruth (mother out law) or Dad's fiancee the girls' Grandma Norma. They feel spoiled for a couple of bucks here and there. (I remembered St Ruth's but not Norma's over the Holidays. Doh! A couple of handfuls to deliver.)

Darn near every CD that comes out, there is vinyl pressed also. So, most music can be found on vinyl.

Most older music. Pre '90s? A lot of really new underground kind of stuff is hard to find even on CD. That said I found a promo LP of Lady Antebellum's first album on vinyl in the shrink wrap and I've not seen any for sale. For $1 at a Goodwill. Thrift stores, Goodwills, yard and garage sales, I suppose estate sales, etc are good for finding vinyl cheap though some "antique" store want $15 to $20 for 70's and 80's standard issue pop / rock. I hold out for the 15 for $15. Lol. I've become so cheap.

There are some fantastic re-issues also, but as mentioned, can cost a premium.

I've one. 180 gram Steely Dan's Aja. And I've only listened to a few tracks at a friends home on Jubilees. Figured my Heresies would be a let down so need to return to listen to the whole thing and maybe compare to CD on his Jubs or LaScalas or Khorns if they're hooked up as he's a big Steelly Dan fan.

Should you get into it? Only you can answer that. But for me, it has opened my eyes (and ears) to music I never knew existed.

Yep. Gota agree with that one. The Right This Minute thread reminds me there's so much music I'd like to try ....

It can be a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby. But don't forget it is a hobby and most hobbies involve cost. Do some research and make the decision. You can start off pretty inexpensively, a used turntable with a new cartridge and some thrift store or yard sale records can be had for a reasonable price to get you started. A $10,000 turntable is not unheard of either, but you don't have to spend that "yet".

Research? Just jump in with a yard sale TT and cartridge and a few LPs. Sell 'em if you don't likle it. $10,000? Sheesh. Mikey the STEROPILE vinyl dude thinks he needs a $50,000 turntable. Me? I'm pretty mappy with my Dual CS 5000 and Shure v15 type 5 MR. Most turntable until you get up to the really crazy uber cool looking designs seem pretty flimsy for the cost. Just my observation. $800 for that? I got both mine late 80's before our first daughter was born as I thought turntables would get harder to find with the CD hitting the market. Turned out to be true though they're making a comeback and the expen$ive TT's have never stopped being produced.

Hmmmm Dennie ... haven't thought about "storing" friend's vinyl. My college roommate took pretty good care of his LPs but I think his TT was set up ready to go the last time I visited (which has been a few years now [:$] but they've not come to see us either). LOL I'll have to try that one.

Better yet. Store for a fee. Maybe could turn into a business of sorts. (not for me, I like being married and alive). SWMBO would probably not be too happy should a few thousand LPs start piling up in our small home. [:o]

Some LPs were terrible when they came out of the sleeve 30-40 years ago (...I can name titles...).

I take sides on this one.

I remember many, many pressings that were just trashed right out of the plastic-wrapped sleeves--from the '60s all the way into the '80s. I can recall opening up a Billy Cobham Crosswinds album [Atlantic, 1974], and not being able to hear the electric piano part due to an unbelievable amount of noise impressed on the album itself. This wasn't an isolated experience. Many albums have scratches impressed on them directly from their pressings- some large enough to cause skipping at any needle weight. Warped albums still return in my dreams. This impressed me in a very lasting way.

I stopped buying LPs when CDs arrived and I have never looked back. CDs can be resurfaced (the machine I own works flawlessly in seconds), and I now buy used CDs on Amazon without reservation. LPs? Not on your life.

My LP collection's greatest attribute is that I own them already. If I were to buy those exact titles again--optical disks would get my money and my listening time...

Chris

Some LPs were terrible when they came out of the sleeve 30-40 years ago (...I can name titles...).

I take sides on this one.

I remember many, many pressings that were just trashed right out of the plastic-wrapped sleeves--from the '60s all the way into the '80s. I can recall opening up a Billy Cobham Crosswinds album [Atlantic, 1974], and not being able to hear the electric piano part due to an unbelievable amount of noise impressed on the album itself. This wasn't an isolated experience. Many albums have scratches impressed on them directly from their pressings- some large enough to cause skipping at any needle weight. Warped albums still return in my dreams. This impressed me in a very lasting way.

I stopped buying LPs when CDs arrived and I have never looked back. CDs can be resurfaced (the machine I own works flawlessly in seconds), and I now buy used CDs on Amazon without reservation. LPs? Not on your life.

My LP collection's greatest attribute is that I own them already. If I were to buy those exact titles again--optical disks would get my money and my listening time...

Chris

Ah...... Chris?

Are you arguing with yourself? LOL

At least your chances of winning the argument are good! [Y]

Dennie [;)]

Just continuing the thought - for those that can't remember the "loyal opposition's viewpoint". [;)]

I noticed that you didn't address the subject...[:o]

Chris [8-)]