Cornscala 1" Squawker Currently Available?

Mike Price

I have gathered most of the parts to put together a pair of Cornscalas(of sorts) , but I just went to check what midrange horn he was using for the 1" driver version and it appears both of them are discontinued. Is there a new horn that can be used in place of either the ph-800 or the Pyle PH2380P ? Are either of these available and I am just missing it? I know there are some offerings from JBL and P audio that may work but they're quite expensive , and i was looking for something more along the price range of the discontinued ones. Any help on this subject would be great , thanks in advance.

I wish I could , go that route , unfortunately in these economic times my budget is extremely limited , I have a few pairs of 1" drivers on hand , and was looking to pick up a pair of horns for no more than $100 , preferably closer the the $30 a piece range like the Pyles were. I sure wish they wouldn't have discontinued thos horns.

I know Bob Crites sells the M2380, which is a copy of the old 2 inch JBL 2380 horn (I’ve used the JBL 2380 before and it is fine without equalization from about 600 Hz to 6000 Hz). I’m not certain of the manufacturer of the M2380, but I believe that they also had a M2370 (or H2370....not sure), which was a copy of the old JBL 2370 horn for 1 inch drivers. The old JBL 2370 horn had a recommended crossover of 630 Hz; therefore, I believe the M2370 may be similar to the JBL 2370 at a price that should be substantially less than a JBL 2370. Also, you would probably need an adaptor for a threaded compression driver. Bob may know about the M2370 since he deals with the M2380.

Thanks DJK , I saw that one , I had got to looking at all the stuff on that website earlier when I was linked to that 2370 clone. Is that website pretty dependable ? Also , what exactly IS the problem with the K-400/K-401 ? because my father just informed me that he has a brand new pair of K-401's that I can have if I want to use them in this project , no charge.

I used that H4427 horn for the mids in my CornScalas with Selenium phenolic-dome drivers. The same piece is sold two places...and the descriptions differ...the e-bay narrative says it's good down to 500hz but the other description on the Gregs Pro Audio site says it is a 600Hz horn. I got mine from e-bay therefore they are the 500Hz version.

I am crossing out of my bass bins at 500 Hz and out of the mids @ 3500 Hz with an off-the-shelf Eminence passive XO

I recently got a used pair of TracHorns and Atlas midrange drivers but I am not going to install them in the CornScalas....I do not want to screw up what I am hearing already which is pretty good....also, I speculate that I would have to use a 3-way active XO to get any material additional benefit from the using the TracHorns in the CornScalas.

I will use the wooden midrange horns atop my KP3002 surround sound speakers in a 3-way, biamped, actively crossed arrangement.....that side of the room had been sounding a bit thready lately.

You will need the Selenium adapters if you want to use a screw-on driver. The H4427 horn is a very sturdy and substantial piece.

In my mind and to my taste the H4427 horn is a great choice for the CornScala mids...

Thanks for all the input guys , I've got some decisions to make now , I have access to a few different mid drivers , and an apt-50 with both the apt-80 lens and the apt-200 lens. I also have a free pair of K-401's available ,and most of the components to build the crossovers. I think my next step may be to run some sweeps on each of the drivers mated with the K-401 , and then have a listen to which ever one yields the flattest/smoothest response. If I don't like the sound of the K-401 I will then look in to ordering one of the large fromat hors from gregs pro audio.I've also been toying with the idea now of not building the Cornscala , but using the K-401 and APT-200 on a different bass bin , I can get a pair of Peavey 18" Lowrider's for a steal right now , and modeling them up in bass box they look pretty darn good. To make all this decision making even tougher , I was planning on building this in to a cabinet that I alrady have built(removable baffle) tha is only 22" wide , for the K-401 or any of the JBL clone horns this is a non issue. My father has , besides the pair of K-401's a couple pairs of 511b's , that he would sell me pretty cheap , if not just give them to me. The problem there is they wont fit in my box and I would have to start all over which would make the 511b's an expensive option , even if the were free. Decision , decisions , why can't these projects ever be simple right?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a pair of the H4427's from Gregs Pro Audio , they shipped quickly and are a quality product. I did some measuring which revealed a rising response on the H4427's , and they roll off around 550hz on the bottom end , which is good enough for my application. I build a simple contour network to compensate for there rising response , and began some listening tests. I directly A/B'ed them to the K-401's , and my impression is that the K-401's may have a slight coloration to them , despite measuring quite flat. I will be using the H4427's in my project , to my ears they just sound better , more open and clear. The tweeter will be an APT-50 on the Selenium baby cheeks lens. The woofer I decided on is a Peavey 18" Lowrider , and the midrange driver I am still undecided on. I have been listening to 3 different drivers that I have on hand some selenium D250-X's , some old EV1828's and some even older Peavey22A's. Believe it or not, out of all three pairs of drivers , the Peaveys seem to have the flattest response , lowest extenion , smoothest sound , and at this point are probably my first choice.This will all be housed in a set of 10 cubic foot cabinets that I built this summer after I sold those Cornwalls to Rockhound. I built cabinets with removable baffles and didn't like the driver alignment I chose the forst time around , so I got rid of the drivers , and am in the process of building the baffles for this new set up right now.I can post pics of them when they're done if anyone is interested , however at this point I have changed so many things from the original plan that they are no longer Cornscalas , just some really big , really efficient 3 way DIY speakers , sharing only the APT-50 and H4427's with the Cornscalas.

Hey bigrfish,

Which Selenium 1" driver are you using?

Mark

Mark, I am using the phenolic dome driver, works from about 400Hz out to nearly 4000Hz, very similar to the K-horn midrange driver. If I am not mistaken, you can get them from Bob Crites...can just google Crites Speaker to find his website.

Guest David H

Mark, I am using the phenolic dome driver, works from about 400Hz out to nearly 4000Hz

That would be the Selenium D250-X, This drivers works ok if you are on a tight budget, if not I would hold out for a pair of K-55's. The K-55 will extend to 6Khz and to me sounds better.

Bob also has the K-55/PD5VH

Dave

Guest David H

I recently got a used pair of TracHorns and Atlas midrange drivers but I am not going to install them in the CornScalas....I do not want to screw up what I am hearing already which is pretty good..

Too bad you are not using that setup with your Cornscala's, that combination is excellent. Then add a Klipsch B3 or "ALK AP-12 600 / AP-15 6000" crosover, and those Cornscala's would be fantastic.