This one I WANT!!!!

FranJ

Huh... the best woofers ever made, from TAD, JBL, Altec, GOTO, and the woofers you have in your heritage speakers, are made of "paper" with an "accordeon" surround. You don't put a rubber surround on a 21inch driver; it would become slow and sluggish... a good, big size "pro" woofer like this one, with high sensitivity, will always sound better to my ears than a "heavy" low sensitivity driver in a small sealed box with a correction circuit to boost the lowest frequencies.

Huh... the best woofers ever made, from TAD, JBL, Altec, GOTO, and the woofers you have in your heritage speakers, are made of "paper" with an "accordeon" surround.

That's because they are woofers, not subwoofers. The frequency range that a woofer typically works in does not require a surround that moves as much as a subwoofer would. Paper cones are fine if you're not moving a lot, but composite is better for the higher loads that a driver experiences when it needs to move more air.

You don't put a rubber surround on a 21inch driver; it would become slow and sluggish...

No, it wouldn't. The speed of the driver is determined by the strength of the motor, not the composition of the surround.

my guess is from 21inch upwards, cone excursion is not that much anymore.

above 15inch, and with the notable exception of VOLT 18inch woofers, I've never met a pro SUBwoofer with a rubber, or any other "souple" surround... and I'm not talking altec 515 here, we agree that we talk about SUB bass.