Mac 1900 for Chorus and/or Forte II's?

Kernel

First post. Wanting input on whether or not I should pull the trigger on getting a McIntosh 1900 in excellent condition for $450 from a local craigslist ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/2156949055.html.

Do I have money burning a hole in my pocket? Seemingly but no, not really. I have just always wanted to be part of the McIntosh family I guess. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Concerns are future maintenance and value at that price. All of my other equipment is stock.

Thank you in advance for your input.

It is a nice 70s receiver. But, as to price, I'd suggest you look around the various audio sites, Ebay, etc. to see what they have sold for. If I remember correctly, it sold for around 1k when it was new, so 50% of the original price, if it's in truly mint condition, may not be unreasonable. As far as maintenance, it's getting to the age where the electrolytic caps "may" start to cause problems (a great deal depends on how much use the receiver had, and how well ventilated it was when used). But, if it's working fine now, and no hum is noticed from either channel, I'd not be overly concerned.

a decent and seemingly inexpensive way to get into the McIntosh Family...I had one that was very nice...the volume/power switch can be problematic and there is no cure...replacements can be just as bad or worse...this was a problem with McIntosh's that used this during this time...(power switch is also the volume and the first portion of the knob while turning on can be "out of balance" between the channels as this was the part that was worn the most...mine sounded nice with Klipsch Heritage (Heresys and Quartets) so you will be pleased...I wouldn't pay anything more unless it was a perfect as you want it to be...

Bill

I understand Bill... thank you for your input. I suppose there is no way to telling just how worn the volume/power switch is by simply turning it on and off is there?

With speakers connected, and the input selector set at an unused position (but not to phono), rotate the volume control through it's full rotation and note whether you hear any scratching sounds or noises from the speaker (some hiss when it's turned up beyond 12 o/c isn't unusual). While the volume control is turned up to around 11 or 12 o/c, do the same with the tone controls and balance control. It isn't unusual to hear a little noise in the controls of vintage equipment. As long as its not excessive, I'd not worry about it. If it seems like a lot to you, use that as a bargaining point to get the price down! There is a way to treat the controls (and push button switches, if necessary) to reduce any noisiness which involves spraying a product called Deoxit into the controls- it's not a permanent fix, but it can literally add years to the life of the controls. If you are technically capable, the way to do this can be explained to you when the time comes. If not, there may be someone in your area here on the forum who can assist you.