Money for Nothing banned on Canadian Radio!?!?

oldenough

Just way too much political correctness everywhere. The way I look at it even George Carlin's forbidden words should

be allowed on public airwaves, they are only words and if some one wants to say F---off they should be able to. Only words

and sounds out of ones mouth. I guess I am the minority but I always liked hearing "The Who" asking Who the F--- are you?.

Well, if they are going to outlaw the song because they used a slang word directed towards a homosexual they will have to outlaw all the Rap music that uses the N word too. I mean if you are going to be correct at least do it right man! They have too much time on their hands up there to worry about a 25 year old song. No direct poke towards Canada here. We all know the US does a lot of stupid things in this direction as well.

Ohh I'm telling you, its getting f-blaming brutal up here!!! There is always a couple of stations that'll play it anyways but its true stupidity and that is what I base political correctness on. I don't care, they'll still hear it when I D.J. If they don't like it, they can go find another planet to live on. MHO [:D]

Money for Nothing got banned after some guy complained that it offended him. As others have pointed out, there are far more offensive songs on the air. As well, a CBC-Radio reporter observed today that the song was written from the point of view of a bigot that Mark Knopfler had overheard speaking.

The song was not meant to offend anyone; more likely to mock bigots, who didn't have the smarts to learn to play music to earn "money for nothing".

Here in Canada, much ruder language is often heard on the radio, especially during news clips quoting rude speakers, with just a brief warning beforehand. Most people don't worry about it, much less complain.

It's clear to see in the article that the ban is getting little support and is even generating some protest.

Who here is old enough to rember Lou Christie's Rhapsody In The Rain?

That was toned down because it was too racy for some radio stations. "Makin' out in the rain . . . in the car our love went much too far" was replaced with. "We fell in love in the rain . . . love came like a falling star."

That was toned down because it was too racy for some radio stations. "Makin' out in the rain . . . in the car our love went much too far" was replaced with. "We fell in love in the rain . . . love came like a falling star."

That reminds me of the Rolling Stones appearing on The Ed Sullivan Show. By the shows request when Mick Jagger sang the song "Let's Spend the Night Together" he sang instead Let's Spend Some Time Together. I think this was in 1967, it was the only time Mick sang the song with those lyrics and when he was singing the modified line Mick would roll his eyes.

After the performance, the Stones went backstage, and came back
on stage, dressed in Nazi uniforms with swastikas, which caused an
angry Sullivan to tell them to go back to their dressing rooms and
change back into their performing outfits, however, the Stones left the
studio and Sullivan banned the group from ever appearing on his show
again.

Also no I am not old enough to actually remember this happening.

Man, if those folks ever heard Closer by Nine Inch Nails, they'd have a heart attack! [:o]

Ugg that is stupid. I am not offended by the song at all but I am tired of hearing it all the time Smile I mean seriously it is one thing if it is my boss saying that to me but totally different in a song as artistic expression. Well that is my 0.02 anyway.

Laters,

Jeff

what if mark knopfler is your boss?