Heresy upgrade with great imaging, smooth midrange and low-end SLAM!!

Antone

As opposed to updating Heresy's, it's just as easy to build a slightly bigger box and port it. I will use K-42 woofers, mids from a Chorus II (tractrix), and super tweets with Crites Titanium diaphragams, with my own Xover network. they will be ported and only go to 60 Hz. (I will have 2 tapped horn subs to go with them). BUT they will be 100 db for a 1 W input.

Hopefully we can agree that the Heresy line of speakers is, and has always been, a modestly priced system with compromises in design and manufacture that are understandable given that modest price. That the system performs in many ways above expectations due to its modest design is noteworthy.

Islander replies: I'm not sure I can agree with "modest price". $1700 USD or $2400 CAD for a pair of speakers seems like a premium price to me. The Heresy may be the entry model to the Heritage Series, but for that kind of money, it shouldn't be necessary to make excuses. That said, Heresys do sound pretty good.

It’s not like Klipsch hasn’t looked at an “improved Heresy” over the years. It’s just that they called it something else. Like Forte. Or like Tangent.

Islander replies: Wouldn't the Heresy II and Heresy III qualify as the "improved Heresy"? Not to be splitting hairs, but the Forte and Tangent are speakers that share some components with Heresys. That doesn't make them Heresys.

La Scalas share components with Klipschorns, but neither of those two could be considered an "improved version" of the other.

La Scalas share components with Klipschorns, but neither of those two could be considered an "improved version" of the other.

I think LaScalas with twin tapped horn sub(s) is a huge improvement over a Khorn. for over 30 years (I was still a "kid" when it began), I had 2 Khorns with a mono LaScala in the middle, just like PWK's setup at home, which I heard, and it sound any different from mine, even though he had a Belle. What I have now is way better. The Roy Delgado's K-402 Mid horn STOMPS everything I have ever owned and heard out there, and that has been quite a few things in the last 6 years.

ClaudeJ1 wrote:"I think LaScalas with twin tapped horn sub(s) is a huge improvement over a Khorn. for over 30 years (I was still a "kid" when it began), I had 2 Khorns with a mono LaScala in the middle, just like PWK's setup at home, which I heard, and it sound any different from mine, even though he had a Belle. What I have now is way better. The Roy Delgado's K-402 Mid horn STOMPS everything I have ever owned and heard out there, and that has been quite a few things in the last 6 years."

ClaudeJ1'

What are twin-tapped subs? Are the K-402 squawkers too big for a Heresy motor board?

ClaudeJ1 wrote:"I think LaScalas with twin tapped horn sub(s) is a huge improvement over a Khorn. for over 30 years (I was still a "kid" when it began), I had 2 Khorns with a mono LaScala in the middle, just like PWK's setup at home, which I heard, and it sound any different from mine, even though he had a Belle. What I have now is way better. The Roy Delgado's K-402 Mid horn STOMPS everything I have ever owned and heard out there, and that has been quite a few things in the last 6 years."

ClaudeJ1'

What are twin-tapped subs? Are the K-402 squawkers too big for a Heresy motor board?

Here is a link to one of the best tapped horn subs http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th115/

I pulled that picture off of the forum and only posted it it to provide the OP with a sense of scale as he had no idea of the size of a K402. The jubscala belong to one of the members and I think he has a set of K69 drivers on the K402. Perhaps he will chime in. Best regards Moray James.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi
I’ve been reading some of your post about the upgrades you’ve done on the H1’s
Of all the upgrades you’ve done to them, what ones do you think has been the best?
And could you post or message me some pics of the crossover upgrades that you feel have been the best. I have some H1’s and have updated the crossovers and feel like I could get more from them
For now I’d like to build a set of clones before I do the real H1’s
Thanks
Carl

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

Hi,

This last upgrade with the Dayton Audio PA 310-8 woofers is by far the best I have found. I just posted graphs and the xover schematic a few minutes ago under the same topic title. My previous upgrades were judged by ear with little knowledge of xover circuits, T/S parameters or proper test equipment. Take a look at this latest post from noon- ish July 27th. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, you say go from terminal 2 to 1, I’ve heard by others to go from 3 to 2.  I have B2 crossovers currently hooked up to terminal 3, Bob made me adjustable clips and told me to switch to terminal 2.  Does going from 2 to 1 provide a further 3 dB reduction?