amplification for new Klipschorns

Ducatista

Hello:

I am thinking of purchasing a set of new Klipschorn speakers. My listening room seems relatively well-suited in terms of dimensions.

I am considering using the iDecco or iNova from Peachtree Audio to drive them and provide the digital processing.

Does anyone have experience with this combination or suggestion particularly good amplifier combinations for the Klipschorn speakers?

Best Wishes,

Ken

Hello:

I am thinking of purchasing a set of new Klipschorn speakers. My listening room seems relatively well-suited in terms of dimensions.

I am considering using the iDecco or iNova from Peachtree Audio to drive them and provide the digital processing.

Does anyone have experience with this combination or suggestion particularly good amplifier combinations for the Klipschorn speakers?

Best Wishes,

Ken

Great choices. All the older hifi nuts will say Tubes.. but Any modern day electronics that produce a FLAT frequency response (+/- 0.5dB 20 to 20Khz) and low low (under .10% THD) distortion. Then if you have a certain taste in the way you want things to sound..add and EQ.

Answer these questions Do you listen to audio above 16 bit/44Khz? Do you have any room absorption / diffusion? Do you have any active room optimizers or Room Correction Software?

I aslo recommend the Harman Kardon 990 http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HK%20990

Ducati Dude,

I have not heard the Peachtree products but the Khorns are a fine speaker system that require the very best of electronics. If you can say the Peachtree is the finest sounding amp you have ever heard, then I would have no problems with it. However, I have not read any review of Peachtree products that would suggest they are in the top category of hi-fi gear. So, yes I'm an old guy that would suggest you purchase a fine tube amp rather than middle of the road digital gear. Sorry.

My understanding is that Peachtree Audio's expertise is particularly strong in the digital domain... I am uncertain how well their amplifier stages will work with Klipschorns.

A brief description of the Peachtree iDecco is as below (taken from Absolute Sound review):

A hybrid solid-state/vacuum tube (6N1P) preamplifier with a Class A output buffer stage.

A Class A headphone amplifier (when the tube circuit is enabled).

A multi-input (USB, S/PDIF, TosLink, iPod) 96kHz/24-bit upsampling DAC with a solid-state output stage.

A digital iPod dock with, of course, a built-in integrated amplifier.

A 40Wpc MOSFET-powered, solid-state integrated amplifier (actually 30 Wpc into 8 ohms)

As I am starting from scratch with this system, this seemed like a good way to get started with good performance and low cost. I can always use it as a preamp stage for better amplifiers down the road.

What are some of the power amplifiers with which folks are having great success?

This forum seems like a truly excellent source of information.

I've used a Yamaha RXV1800, Pioneer SX-9500 (Integrated), Advent A350, Dynaco Monoblocs (AMP), NAD 214 (AMP), Harman Kardon PA5800 (AMP) a RadioShack Realistic Stereo Receiver... What I found is that newer gear produces almost no distortion and has less of an effect on the original sound. This thread on AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095832 has a good deal of personal opinion about Peachtree. They are on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peachtree-Audio/159840707959 I don't own their equipment nor do I plan on purchasing, but I recognize a good small business trying to make a living in the big world of consumer electronics.. so this is why I plug.. :-)

I have never heard the amps you are suggesting. Have you heard them or what makes you interested in them?

My preference for the Khorn is a SET amp, as I have heard nothing better yet. Preferably a 45 Tube based SET amp or a 2A3 tube amp. - That's what I use and until I hear better, that is what I recommend.

I have never heard the amps you are suggesting. Have you heard them or what makes you interested in them?

My preference for the Khorn is a SET amp, as I have heard nothing better yet. Preferably a 45 Tube based SET amp or a 2A3 tube amp. - That's what I use and until I hear better, that is what I recommend.

Those are all my amps that I have heard connected to my Khorns.. You know SET amps have their own "sound" which is technically distortion. Stick with the Peachtree or amps from the last 10 years