Refinishing Cornwalls

As you may have noticed from previous threads, I've got a pair of used, 1985 Cornwalls (I's). They're in pretty good shape except there are some light dings and scratches, and a few chips from the walnut veneer. I've tried touching them up with some walnut stain but it just doesn't penetrate the wood effectively.

Short of taking these to a refinisher, can anybody tell me how to fill the chips and restore these to "aesthetically pleasing"?

Thanks for any and all help!

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Heresy (RR/LR)

Believe it or not, the best stuff to fill in chips in veneer is "bondo," the auto-body plastic filler. It hardens quickly and can be sanded ultra-smooth. Once sanded flush with the veneer, just use a fine artist's brush and fake the "grain" and color of the walnut and then finsih with some sealer and then a good coat of tung oil.

I've done furniture and jukebox repairs in this manner and have had excellent results.

I wouldn't try in on a 18th century Chippendale high-boy, but on a pair on 20-year-old Cornwalls your have nothing to lose!

Thanks, Allan. Since I'm a "newbie", I hope you don't mind if I ask a few dumb questions:

(1) Bondo: assume I can get that at an auto parts store?

(2) For painting the grain and color of the walnut, what should I use? (e.g., some kind of paint or regular stain that I tried before?) Also, any suggestions on the scratches? The stain I used didn't take at all.

(3) What is a good sealer to use?

As you can see, I'm just trying to put together a shopping list smile.gif Thanks again for your help.