La Scala Midrange & Tweeter

big_gto

Does any one know if cabinet gets in the way of the dispersion pattern of the midrange & tweeter horns? I understand why they're assembled into the cabinet like that, but I thought by now Klipsch would have figured out a way to mount the horns from the front.

I think they changed the tweeter with something like a "Z" bracket (?)

The tweeters I last saw, had the mounting flange on the bottom of the horn, not the top. Meaning, the horn was now 3/4" thick and slides through the opening so it's flush.

I don't think they did that with the K401 though, I don't know if it matters and if so, how much.

Your picture makes me wonder if perhaps I saw a prototype then. (I saw it laying on a bench at one of the Pilgrimages to Hope)

I don't know how to describe it very well...

What I remember seeing would be similar to cutting off the flanges of the K77 in your picture. Make a 3/4" deep "skirt" that goes around the tweeter horn and on the bottom side of this skirt, add the flanges back.

The tweeter was rear mounted, inside the speaker. Not front mounted like yours. When you screwed it in from the back, the "skirt" made the exit of the horn come out flush with the front.

Guess I should have taken a picture of it. I presumed those were in all production models.

What you saw is correct; tweeter mounted from the inside, but so is mine...

Those four nuts on the tweeter front face connect to the z-brackets, then the z-brackets bends back, then to the side (on each side inside) where they screw to the motor board from behind. The part that recieves the tweeter nuts bends into the cavity, then bends again toward the outer side to attach to the face wall inside - hence the "z" in z-bracket.

It sounds like you saw from the inside, and my picture is from the outside... ;)

PWK said in the Dope from Hope that it didn't make a dimes worth of difference.

He was right. It's stems from the directivity of the horns and is why we don't try to listen to them off-axis. The tweeter's the limiting factor dispersion-wise in the La Scala

Inside it's zone= sonic bliss

Outside of it's zone= sounds "horny" or "not at all"

The only reason the factory went flush mount was because they were tired of us consumers whining about it all the time.