Testing the Faital Pro HF200 driver on the Eliptrac400

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I connected the driver through the squawker channel of a 12 dB / octave network and set the attenuation to 9 dB. This is the response. I plan to run harmonic distortion tests with a signal into the driver at 200 Hz 12 dB below the level it takes to generate 110 dB SPL at 400 Hz. This should be similar to the Klipsch stock AK-3 network slope. The distortion generated should tell if an extreme-slope network is required.

To say that another way. I will see what level it takes into the driver at 400 Hz to generate 110 dB SPL then use a level 12 dB lower at 200 Hz. The difference would normally go to the woofer.

The distortion at 400 Hz while generating 110 dB SPL will tell me if this driver is usable at all.

I will probably not do this until tomorrow. It will require that I use ear-plugs and my wife will be home soon and will not tolerate that sort of noise for long!

Al K.

post-2934-13819635955416_thumb.gif

Guest David H

Al, the off axis looks exceptional. This Eliptrac horn may be a good candidate for 2 way afterall.

So far the Faital pro has me drooling, I am hopeful the distortion figure is acceptable at 400hz.

Dave Harris

I'm drooling at the possibilities as well. I have been very happy with my P. Audio drivers (K69) in two my two way setup, but I've had to EQ quite a bit from 13kHz upward. The nice thing for me is that I don't need it to go anywhere near 400Hz as you guys do. I sure hope the driver lives up to the promise. I beleive it woud be a huge 'upgrade' to be able to go 2 way with the Khorn....with the proper crossover of course.

I have started the distortion tests and I AM IMPRESSED!

Here's two plots. I set up the mike 2 feet from the mouth and ran the level up to 105 dB SPL with a 400 Hz tone. The analyzer computed the harmonic distortion at -38dB. That's only 1.26% harmonic distortion.

Next I reduced the level need to make 105 dB at 2 feet by 10 dB and lowered the tone to 200 Hz. That is roughly what the level would be through a 12 dB / octave filter with the woofer generating the tone at 105 dB. The level out of the driver doped to 63 dB SPL with the second harmonic down about 15 dB lower. That's 17.8 % distortion but the level is so low it would not be noticed!

This driver looks like a winner unless I have done something wrong!

I plan to do a intermod test duplicating the condition I used on the B&C DCM50 for a direct comparison. That was with 450 Hz and 4400Hz tones.

Al K.

post-2934-13819636005206_thumb.gif

CALLING Mr KLIPSCH .. I THINK WE JUST MIGHT HAVE A 2-WAY KHORN FOR YOU!

Here's a direct comparison of intermodulation distortion between the B&C DCM50 and the Faital Pro HF200 drivers. The B&C wins by a nose! But the extended frequency response of the HF200 makes it a clear choice!

The levels were tested by using a B&K 4220 pistonphone and a B&K 4133 mike. I think the levels are accurate to 0.5 dB.

The plots look a bit different because the B&C curve was scanned off a paper printout. The HF200 plot was direct off a computer screen dump.

Al K.

post-2934-13819636006166_thumb.gif

CALLING Mr KLIPSCH .. I THINK WE JUST MIGHT HAVE A 2-WAY KHORN FOR YOU!

Oh boy......that's a big statement.....I guess I'm gonna want to hear this thing....who has a link for the estimated cost of that driver?

jc