Testing the Faital Pro HF200 driver on the Eliptrac400

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

pic 2

Before the quesions start rolling in, I have not done any testing or listening on this horn, and probably will not for weeks.

I have lots of other projects that need my attention, but thought I would take a crack at the 14" horn.

Dave

post-24405-1381963740086_thumb.jpg

What abot the 902 or 909 series Great Plains Ausdio CDs?

I still think for the money these Faital Pros are amazing though. The Great Plains is just one of the few that goes pretty low in a 1".

The GPA 902 doesn't get that low. I think Bill recommends crossing at 800 or 1kHz, somewhere in there. I can confirm that if you cross much lower, you'll hear some unpleasant sound. having said that, the 902 sounds wonderful in a two-way, with a bit of contouring.

I just got a pair of Dave's (Gothover) 1 to 1.4 to 2 Inch driver adaptor for his Eliptrac 400 horn. This thing is a real piece of work! It's extremely clever but rather difficult to figure out without some head-scratching. It consists of four detachable segments.

The first segment is the motor board for 1-inch drivers. It tapers from 1 inch diameter to 1.1 Inch. The 1.1 Inch side has recessed mounting holes for the K55 adaptor, the 3-hole pattern of JBL drivers and for the two studs of Altec drivers.

The second segment consists of two layers which taper from 1.1 Inch up to 1.4 Inch diameter. It has three tapped holes in the pattern of a 1.4 Inch driver. These are used to hold it to the 1.4 Inch driver mounting surface when a 1-inch driver is used.

The third segment provides recessed bolt holes to mount a 1.4 inch driver and four long captive bolts which pass through to the fourth segment which expands from 1.6 Inch up to the 2 Inch driver mounting flange of the Eliptrac horn. The fourth segment is double thickness. This adds up to six total slices of 3/4 inch thick material for a total of 4 1/2 inches long.

Hopefully the picture will explain all this.

The precision fit between the segments and of the bolts holes is extreme. It seems to have been made with zero tolerance in mind! This makes it a little difficult to slide the segments apart but assures a smooth tractrix taper inside the throat.

Al K.

post-2934-13819637419418_thumb.jpg

I just got a pair of Dave's (Gothover) 1 to 1.4 to 2 Inch driver adaptor for his Eliptrac 400 horn. This thing is a real piece of work! It's extremely clever but rather difficult to figure out without some head-scratching. It consists of four detachable segments.

The first segment is the motor board for 1-inch drivers. It tapers from 1 inch diameter to 1.1 Inch. The 1.1 Inch side has recessed mounting holes for the K55 adaptor, the 3-hole pattern of JBL drivers and for the two studs of Altec drivers.

The second segment consists of two layers which taper from 1.1 Inch down to 1.4 Inch diameter. It has three tapped holes in the pattern of a 1.4 Inch driver. These are used to hold it to the 1.4 Inch driver mounting surface when a 1-inch driver is used.

The third segment provides recessed bolt holes to mount a 1.4 inch driver and four long captive bolts which pass through to the fourth segment which expands from 1.6 Inch up to the 2 Inch driver mounting flange of the Eliptrac horn. The fourth segment is double thickness. This adds up to six total slices of 3/4 inch thick material for a total of 4 1/2 inches long.

Hopefully the picture will explain all this.

The precision fit between the segments and of the bolts holes is extreme. It seems to have been made with zero tolerance in mind! This makes it a little difficult to slide the segments apart but assures a smooth tractrix taper inside the throat.

Al K.

That is really interesting. Wow.

I have seen this adapter as well, and is confusing to look at but, but at the same time is intuitive. The drawings will definately help.

Craig.

Just looking at the photos of the circletrac, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good 5-7" driver for this sort of horn. Long term I've thought about doing some sort of diy avantegarde nano, but not really sure where to start looking for the mid driver.

Guest David H

Just looking at the photos of the circletrac, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good 5-7" driver for this sort of horn. Long term I've thought about doing some sort of diy avantegarde nano, but not really sure where to start looking for the mid driver.

Take a look at the Audio Nirvana.

Dave

The Faital HF200 is a great sounding driver, great to see someone is "really" testing them. Never heard of them until recently. We were even more impressed by the HF20AT! Can't wait for someone to test this one as well. We were so taken aback by the sound we started swapping out our RCF 850 drivers in our performence space. They are a little hard to come by, but we did find a sound company in NY that extended a generous deal. Don't know their number offhand, but I'm sure it's posted on their site - www.kprosound.com. Not sure if it was a one shot deal or an ongoing deal. But can't hurt to ask. FYI - their NY location was the only location selling them.

Now let's hope someone decides to test the HF20AK too!

Sorby

This might interest you 14" Circletrac

Dave: I have a new found appreciation for your horns and your CNC machine. I am on day two of my 3 round tractrix horn DIY build. The routing process is death by a thousand paper cuts! The good news is that the process is going rather well thus far. I am about half way done cutting the holes in the MDF. I have to focun on work for the next three days or so and then I'll be able to get back to the project.

If you had to build many of these by hand, they would be VERY expensive. The process by hand is very time consuming. Of course this is only doable with a round horn. An elliptical horn like the one you make would be nearly impossible to produce manually.

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on the 3 round tractrix horns. I'm getting there, here are a couple of shots before the sanding process.

My hope is to finish these this week and run some tests with the Faital Pro driver as well as the P. audio BM-D750.

post-10337-13819638621292_thumb.jpg