RF7's amp or not to amp?

CHASLS2

I ran my RF7s off of an old Pioneer receiver (VSX5000) when I first got them and they sounded great. After some break-in they even sounded better.

Then I added an amp - and was amazed and the improvement. The only way I can describe it was the sound has a more "relaxed" feeling. The speakers never sounded stressed and the music just effortlessly flowed forth - even deep bass or loud passages.

The RF7 is pretty efficient, but it does have an impedance dip at certain frequencies that requires an amp that has a healthy power supply. Most receiver amps aren't that robust, so they'll play but you start hitting the limitations of the receiver long before you tax the speakers.

(note, this is my experience with my RF7s. I don't know if the newly released RF7-II has similar characteristics. It does have updated drivers and electronics.)

I have no clue what amp to get how much to spend on a amp.

Definitely get an amp if your receiver has pre outs. If you are looking for recomendations, everyone will most likely recomend the amp that they personally own. Take your time and do some research. Don't be afraid to look at some used stuff. Check out amps between 200 and 300 wpc.

Had my RF7's a week now and do love them. I have a Pioneer 1120k receiver. I just wonder if i should get a amp? I know nothing about amps or how to use a amp. I am guessing the amp goes between the RF7's and receiver?

Charles,

Did you check out Michael's(Youthman) Yamaha receiver and Parasound amp? Shame on him for not showing you the ropes.[:o]

Receiver preouts>>>>>>>>w/RCA connectors>>>>>>>>>amp imputs. Amp speaker terminals(binding posts)>>>>>>>with speaker wire>>>>>>speaker binding posts.

Bill

A couple amps to consider are the pro-audio QSC or Crown brand amps.

I've used a QSC PLX-2402 with my RF7s and it made a phenominal difference over just using the reciever. I'm currently running an Outlaw Audio 7500 amp on my new system, but I'm hanging on to that QSC for when I upgrade to 7.1.

You can find some great deals and good recommendations on here.

• Moderators

Did you check out Michael's(Youthman) Yamaha receiver and Parasound amp? Shame on him for not showing you the ropes.Surprise

Cut me some slack Bill. We were enjoying listening to them, not explaining how I have everything hooked up. [:P]

Bill is correct, first you need to check the back of your receiver to see if you see something that says "PreOuts". If you have preouts, it will have a red and black connection for each preout channel (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right etc).

Then it's simply a single RCA from Receiver's Preout to the Amp's Input for that channel. Then regular speaker wire from the Amp to your speakers.

post-27215-13819636191938_thumb.jpg