your best choices for a stereo amp ,cheap n simple, yet great sounding?

quadklipsh

guys i have a living room which harbours a prologic sony TA-AV 570, amp,BUT i have no serious issues with it .

it has a remote , thats why its very user friendly and is 80 watts in stereo hence powering up a pair of KENWOOD L707M tower speakers 88 db , is not an issue for this amp.

it sounds not quite as good as my others ,( low wattage and usually stereo vintage amps, much older) .

im kinda bored of this sony .

can you advise a good one to replace it .

the following terms apply ....

the amp you advise should be

1) cheap, ($200-500 )

2) deliver good sound for movies 70%,music 30%

3) powerful and simple .but remote controlled .

thanks

guys guys guys ...hold your horses...

iv been reading it all life , that separates sound better than recievers and integrateds ,perios..... ofcourse but theres not much difference now is it , considering the price differences .

i did own and keep a power amp by mitsubishi DA-A7 and its pre amp DA-P7 .

but it had no beefiness to rock my speakers , perhaps it was designed to sound very very very accurate and thin...

just like SET amps.

i wanna rock those kenwoods ,dudes. with oodles of power and bass headroom.

just like SET amps.

Any SET amps with remotes? Probably not in your price range. Need to get your price range in line with your wants, or downsize your desires.

FWIW, I don't hear any significant differences in quality SS amps regardless of whether integrated or separate, and I don't like the sound of any of them compared to d or tubes.

However, that's a niche opinion that is only guaranteed to work for Dave.

Dave

can you advise a good one to replace it .

the following terms apply ....

the amp you advise should be

1) cheap, ($200-500 )

2) deliver good sound for movies 70%,music 30%

3) powerful and simple .but remote controlled .

Not an integrated amp but a receiver, but powerful and musical it is.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1300645876&/B-K-AVR-505-AV-Receiver

Or you can go the seperates route. Simple, powerful, and musical.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1300403160&/B-K-PT-3-Preamp/Tuner

with

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1300074311&/NAD-C270-

Bill

perhaps it was designed to sound very very very accurate and thin...

just like SET amps.

My SET amps certainly don't sound thin. Lush and full would be a better description.

Bruce

I have to second what Bruce says,

Mine certainly are far from thin and wimpy, even the bass is very fast, full and authoritative. This is by virtue of design a very low DCR power path with 400 Joules total and highly isolated small quality fast caps. Lush, full and felt in the seat of your pants let alone your chest and thats all from 10 watts/channel! Its not how many watts you have, its what the watt does. There are IMO more lean SET's than lean PP tube amps out there. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Best amp I heard if you can find one used maybe 5-$600 is an Antique Sound PP EL34 Integrated model AQ1003DHT. I had one here for repairs, I listened to it and it sounded ok to me but not my cup of tea, not lean but not very full and lush either bass was good.

I suggested to owner to replace the 12AU7's with 12BH7's for some added body. I decided to dig through my trunk of used tubes and I found some in excellent condition, I listened and I was completely floored by what I heard.

I heard a full, lush, round, holographic like and authoritative sound that I have never heard from an EL34 amplifier. In fact it sounded like I was listening to KT88's literally for dynamics and body.

I had a hunch, I looked up the schematic to one of the most sought after EL34 amplifiers around, the famous Marantz 8b which can go for several thousand used. Guess what I saw? A 12BH7 long tail phase inverter, just like in the Antique Sound. No wonder why the 8b is so loved.

The AQ1003DHT with the 12BH7's one would have spend a lot of $ to beat it IMO. the amp has been offered with a remote. The Circuit is unique with no global feedback only the Ultra-Linear taps which are a form of local feedback. The amp is gorgeous besides and some have cages I believe to keep kids fingers out of.

SET12

perhaps it was designed to sound very very very accurate and thin...

just like SET amps.

My SET amps certainly don't sound thin. Lush and full would be a better description.

Bruce

What's their power output? I've had bottleheads on my system brought by a Forum member and they sounded awesome. However, they really were not up to providing full bass from wide range pipe organ fundamentals at realistic listening levels.

Dave

What's their power output? I've had bottleheads on my system brought by a Forum member and they sounded awesome. However, they really were not up to providing full bass from wide range pipe organ fundamentals at realistic listening levels.

Dave

Well... I listen to LaScalas, remember? Everyone says they have no bass anyway.[:D]

They are 2A3 amps, so about 3.5 watts. It works for me, but they really aren't thin sounding. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are wonderful, and my symphony listening younger son says there is an orchestra in the room. Pipe organ bass would b a bit more difficult, although it would still be there.

Bruce