Digital Phase speakers...

Marvel

Last night, my wife and I made a visit to a home through a new acquaintance. A potluck dinner and nice conversation with the host ensued. He brought out pics he took with his 14" reflector telescope. That was REALLY impressive in itself. Wonderful color 8x10s of the bubble nebulae, craters on the moon. Very nice! I was too polite to ask what it cost.[;)]p>

For some reason we started talking about audio. He built a nice Velleman tube amp (kit), that a local guy had made change to so he could use big bottle 6CA7 output tubes.

Then he talked about his Digital Phase tower speakers. Each cabinet has two 6.5 inch drivers and a tweeter, They imaged like crazy. I was amazed and the bottom end these had.

The company/guy who makes these is local.

Anybody else on here heard of them or even heard them?

Bruce

I was surprised at the low end extension. The drivers had some massive cone excursion on some bass and drum passages. Probably a good 3/4 inch. Like I said, imaging was great. I might see if my wife and I can pay a visit to his store.

• 7 years later...

They were impressive at first listen.  But he used MDF (non-resonant) cut in various places and called them resonant "Acousta-reeds".  They were arranged in a  baffle arrangement leading to a port in large, for the woofer, sized cabinets.  I thought they looked like transmission lines.  Daryl is still around, but I'm not sure he is still building speakers. 

After listening a while I found them to be one note bass speakers.  He even told me his speaker were more efficient in the bass than any other speaker. 

He tested the frequency response of my Heresies with my custom crossover. 

Back from the dead...

We've never been back to visit the acquaintance. Relecting back on the earlier visit, I believe you are correct, John. Maybe not one note bass but very close.

Bruce