Jubilee's in Richmond VA, who might like to help setup and listen?

Coytee

• Moderators

Those that have jubilee's, what size speaker wire did you run to the HF?

I don't have jubilee's but I have the 402 horn with the K69 driver and I used #14 standard wire from Monoprice.

Fourteen gauge multistrand from Fry's Electronics...it doesn't take a whole lot of power to drive the TADS to aural damaging levels - so capacitance effects are the thing I'd pay attention to, IMHO, i.e., it could be that 14 gauge is too big.

Chris

My friendly suggestion: I just found out you are using TADs as drivers.

This is my cautious side showing, but you might want to put a capacitor in series with the TAD driver. I don't know the nominal impedance of the driver, but select the cap so the cut off is an octave or two below the crossover frequency (the cap and driver form a highpass RC filter). This will block any DC from reaching the driver and is a preventive measure in case the amplifier ever had a hiccup. The diaphragms on those TADs are quite expensive and this will help serve as an insurance policy. The cutoff of the RC filter will be far enough away from the crossover action that it will not interfere. This is just me being cautious.

• Like 1

Hey Tom

As far as DC protection David is using a McIntosh MC402 which has autotransformer output coupling to the TADs so he should be safe from that.

As far as a cap for other hiccup protection by the time you drop another octave or two with the amp capable of 400watts not sure it would offer much protection.

Maybe setting some limiter protection in the EV DC-One could offer some protection from an accidental transient spike though.

mike tn

post-14473-13819639303308_thumb.jpg

good catch Mike, I didn't connect that the amp had a transformer output.

The cap is not meant to block all low freqs, just the DC. So the operator still needs to use his noggin. In the last two years I have measured DC in the 10's of volts on two amps that were reported to be "working fine" (that is, they made a sound). My solution, using a cap, was meant to be a simple 2 dollar insurance policy that was easy to implement. IIRC, the diaphragms for the TADs are in the ballpark of $800.

Hey Tom

As far as DC protection David is using a McIntosh MC402 which has autotransformer output coupling to the TADs so he should be safe from that.

As far as a cap for other hiccup protection by the time you drop another octave or two with the amp capable of 400watts not sure it would offer much protection.

Maybe setting some limiter protection in the EV DC-One could offer some protection from an accidental transient spike though.

mike tn

An autoformer passes DC...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoformer

Is McIntosh really using an autoformer, or are they using a standard transformer with multiple taps on the secondary for reflecting the right speaker impedance?

• 2 years later...

I don't know how this old thread popped back to the top, as I don't see anything new in it. What's new in your setup since our visit in 2011? Another thread had very nice pics of us, our visit, and your great looking horns and electronics, but I haven't seen updates on them.

All one has to do to bump a thread is to push the button at the top of the every page which says "Bump this topic", and voilà! It pops to the top without identifying who pushed the button. :o

Chris

• Like 1