Digital receivers besides Panasonic SA-XR series?

wuzzzer

I believe the Panasonic does it a little differently than the other amplifiers mentioned here. The Panasonic sounds best with digital inputs and not using analog so it skips the A to D conversion. Most other PWM amps have to do the conversion such as the Onkyo VL types.

If you are just looking for a PWM type amplifier, they are available for less than $29 up. If you are looking for something that keeps the signal in the digital domain and doesn't require the step of converting plain RCA analog input to digital to send to the amplifier, the Panasonic xr series is a resonable choice. This is similar technology as used by Sony.

http://docs.sony.com/release/strda9000es_twp.pdf

Does anyone know if there are other digital receivers built similarly to the Panasonic SA-XR series? I just want to make sure I'm considering all options for a new digitally amplified receiver.

Hey Wuzzzer, are you looking digital just for the size of the receiver? I'm only asking because for a $200 budget there are a lot of fine used receivers out there.

Size isn't important. I just wanted to try a digital receiver out to see if they live up to the hype about them. I remember loving my Sonic Impact T-amp and figured that something like the SA-XR series would be a similar sound but with a lot more power.

Thanks Bill, I ran across that amp a while back. I'd love to give it a try but when I sell my UMC-1 I won't have anything to use as a pre-amp. I did think of connecting everything to my TV and then running the audio out from my TV to that amp but I can't imagine that any audio routed through my TV would sound even half-way decent.

Just keep in mind the caveats associated with some of these amplifiers

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/switching-amplifiers-the-technology-and-the-issues

The amplifier output impedance of the Panasonic is reminiscent of
old SET type tube amps. Couple this amp with a reactive load and all
bets are off. Actually this measurement was taken at full (undistorted)
power using the AES17 20kHz filter built into the Audio Precision.
Though the receiver was rated at 100wpc, it wasn't distortion free (
< 1% THD + N) beyond about 70 watts, thus we consider this the
fidelity firewall and limited our full power measurements to this.

Surprisingly the amplifier output impedance was actually better at
near full power than it was at 1 watt. We could only surmise that this
was a function of measurement interpretation since at higher power we
were well above the noise floor of the device which decreased
measurement accuracy issues.

Again this is atrocious performance for any modern day solid state
amp. A user of this amplifier is advised to couple it with a speaker
with a constant impedance crossover with a very flat impedance and
linear phase response of under a +-30deg window across the audio band to
minimize frequency response variation and other non linear nasties
which can result when mating a reactive load with an amplifier with a
high output impedance. Also be mindful of the type of speaker cables you
use with this amplifier. Steer clear of cables with high resistance and
reactance and following the Audioholics Cable Principles when choosing the right cables for your setup.

This is a very meager result, one common in tube amps but NOT in
most competently designed solid state amplifiers and hopefully NOT the
norm for new switching amplifier designs.

I'm a fan of the NAD BEE series like the C326. They handle impedance swings well and are spec'd conservatively with planty of headroom.

For instance the C326.

• 2 x 50W Continuous Power into 4 ohms and 8 ohms
  • 100W, 150W, 200W IHF Dynamic power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively
Good bang for the buck.

Thanks Bill, I ran across that amp a while back. I'd love to give it a try but when I sell my UMC-1 I won't have anything to use as a pre-amp. I did think of connecting everything to my TV and then running the audio out from my TV to that amp but I can't imagine that any audio routed through my TV would sound even half-way decent.

WHOA! I did this with my TV and Klipschorns and, in my experience, TVs are the worst source componets for Audio. THE WORST! Borderline class action suit for the shamtastic job TV companies execute in TV Audio. HAHA! The reality is the VIDEO is their priority.

I am very interested, like you, in digital amps. Even moreso with the theory of keeping everything in the "digital domain" and have in the D -> A process happen at the voice coil. BUT once again the priorities in the world of electronics and audio IS listening to downloaded audio, using existing technology to amplify, and now applying room correction. In otherwords, "old" Hifi is clutching to their amps and pre-amps, while the "new" Hifi brings a renaissance of high bit-rate D/A Converters, and the inovators are telling you that they can make your room "flat" regardless of setup. Bottom line, if you can find a digital amp that plays the way you like it, great. Keep and eye out for digital downloads, dacs, and RMC hardware/software.

Bill

Wuzzer there is a sa-xr55 on Tampa's craigslist. I am sure someone would pick it up for you and ship it.. With shipping it should be around 100.00.

Panasonic is usually laughed at in audio circles, the truth is they were part of the matsushita electric company which used to make a huge percentage of products that ended up in a great deal of electronic products around the world. Including very high end products. Reading about this unit was fun especially the guy who uses it with his 20.000 b&w speakers.

Wuzzer there is a sa-xr55 on Tampa's craigslist. I am sure someone would pick it up for you and ship it.. With shipping it should be around 100.00.

Thanks! I put out an APB in the Garage Sale section for any Tampa area members.

how come these "digital" amplifiers dont' have digital inputs (optical, coaxial, hdmi)? am i missing something?

smokarz,

What are you talking about, no digital inputs? The Panasonic has several. The analog inputs won't sound as good as the digital on the Panasonic.

how come these "digital" amplifiers dont' have digital inputs (optical, coaxial, hdmi)? am i missing something?

smokarz,

What are you talking about, no digital inputs? The Panasonic has several. The analog inputs won't sound as good as the digital on the Panasonic.

I believe he's talking about the amp like the Parts Express one, which is just a standalone amp. The digital receivers have digital inputs but the standalone digital amps don't, only analog inputs.