used Klipsch speaker advice

Icanthearu

I SHOULD SHOUT BECAUSE UCANTHEARME - (lol) - anyway, you've got a big room and it sounds like you're a rocker. I like your choice of Adcom. It's great gear.

A set of Cornwalls would be a nice hookup. You'll get a great bass slam factor with the Adcom and Cornwalls. And they're efficient and will fill up a big room. They might cost a little more than your budget but you might want to hold out. A pair of Cornwalls were listed on the Canuck Audio Mart this week for $400, so there are deals now and then. Check out the garage sale section here.

Here's a little tough love from one rocker to another. Anything less than Cornwalls IMHO, and you might be wishing you had - I've been there.

Slainte. Hamish

At you price range, I agree that used Cornwalls would be an excellent choice.

BTW about the Adcom GFA 555: when you get a chance it would be a geat idea to freshen up the electrolytic caps on that amp (and add some by pass caps on the PS caps - some models have them and some don't). With some freshening up, that amp is one of the great deals in audio.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks for the solid advice in both speaker and updating my amp.

What years did klipsch built the best Cornwall, also any good buying tips for Cornwalls?

I'm dropping my amp off for the updating you stated. Also is there anything I can do to update the pre amp?

Would the Adcom 565 pre amp make a audible difference over the 500II? My wish would be a 750 but I haven't seen any in my price range.

What years did klipsch built the best Cornwall, also any what to look for buying tips?

The worst factory Cornwall is one of the world's finest loudspeakers. Since your budget is limited, go for the best Cornwall deal regardless of its year or whatever. You can modify after the fact as your taste, time, and budget allows.

Dave

Those are OK, but the Cornwall II is better

With the Chorus I would suggest adding a couple of port tubes to the holes in the front, bring the total depth up to about 7". The bass will sound quite a bit better (more like the Chorus II).

Since you have adequate power, the Forte is also nice, I prefer the sound over either the Chorus or the Cornwall.

Those are OK, but the Cornwall II is better

With the Chorus I would suggest adding a couple of port tubes to the holes in the front, bring the total depth up to about 7". The bass will sound quite a bit better (more like the Chorus II).

Since you have adequate power, the Forte is also nice, I prefer the sound over either the Chorus or the Cornwall.

I bought a new pair of Forte2's in 1992, they were in a smaller room then I have now.

I guess I'm going on bigger room bigger speaker, and a 1 owner mint set of Chorus1's in my area was just to good to pass up.

I'll have to give the tube ports a try, anyone sell a tube for this application or do I have to rig one up?

If they don't work out... I can always sell the Chorus1's if a nice pair of Cornwalls pop up.

I think you will have to rig them up with some schedule 40 PVC. 4" cardboard mailing tube are available at office and art supply stores,under $10 for a 3'~4' long one (enough to get four ports).

The early Chorus had no tubes, just holes in the cabinet. Later versions may have a short duct.

This requires a little woodworking but will work (and allow for adjustment). You might be able to attach the flange to the inside of the port opening too.

http://www.parts-express.com//pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-329

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/142037/1447726.aspx

" The cabinets are tuned to around 50hz @ -3db. With the help of some
fellow AKers, I cut some tubes to fit the ports and dropped the cabinet
tuning to around 35hz. The modification is totally reversible. The new
tuning is very close to what I want."