Vandersteen 2Ci Speakers

tom b. 57

I picked up a pair of these yesterday for a pretty good price and must admit, they sound pretty darn good.

They tend to do a lot of things right.

I am very impressed, even though I have been a Klipsch Heritage fan, I could live with these babies.

Any forum members have similar or different experiences with these?

Tom

post-22371-13819636581252_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a VRD customer that went from K-horns to I believe that model of Vandersteen speakers. He went to them because he had moved to a much smaller room.... The VRD's powered those speakers very well according to him in the smallish room (about 14' x 12' I think) but he later moved to another new home with a huge livingroom and had to go big SS to power the speakers. He really loves them! He is not and never was much of an active poster on forum so I doubt he will chime in.

Craig

Tom

I have owned the 2ce,1c, and I currently have a pair of 3A signatures that sound "pretty darn good". They tend to do most things right. I also have 2 pairs of Forte's and a pair of Quartets that I love dearly as does my wife. So enjoy them both I say, and let others squabble about the differences. But my take on the differences is that the Vandersteens being a 1st order design with the intention of preserving the wave form as recorded, paints a very real picture in my mind of the music, not the recording.

Years back my wife and I seriously listened to the Vandersteen 3A signatures and the Klipsch Fortes on all kinds of music and movies. The intention was to pick one speaker for a dedicated home theater. Now I will say that I trust my wifes hearing far better than mine, I just can't hear much past about 14k Hz, but I have the advantage in musical background having played orchestral music for 8 years in school. So the battle took place on recording after recording, and at the end of this bloodless battle the victors were placed in their appropriate listening venues. My wifes favorite Walnut Oiled Fortes are now in the family room on either side of the 55 inch Samsung flat screen. My lovely 3A signatures in Birdseye Maple veneer are placed in the front room for my serious listening. We both agreed they are excellent speakers in their own right, and both do "so many things right".

I would say that the founders of both companies had a passion for music and the faithful reproduction of it, they just found very different pathways to get to this elusive and magical place. I have had many conversations in person and by phone with Richard Vandersteen, and he does have a passion for his craft. He runs a small company in California and proudly makes his speakers in this country, and even at his asking price the speakers are a bargain. Enough has been said on Paul W Klipsch in this community, he needs no introduction. I marvel at both of these men and the passion they brought to making quality speakers. I choose to listen to both visions of the same dream.

As I have said to many others on this topic, sit back and enjoy the music, life is just a short little dance, and so little time to take it all in.

Vandyman (Todd)

Todd, thank you for commenting. You are so right about life being a short dance and to drink in as much as you can with what time we have.

I feel your comments are very honest and make more sense than many others I have experienced in reviews and such.

It is refreshing to read remarks such as yours.

Thank you for your input and all I can say about these speakers is that they, to my ears, are very correct in their reproduction of the music.

Tom

• 10 months later...

Vandyman,No fooling you should be a pro reviewer/critic.I was leaning towards these as the Klipsch Heritage line seems to up in the price range that I can not afford.I now own a pair of pristine refoamed Infinity SM112s for a rediculously c/l price of $40 so I did jump on them.I do happen to like them even though others on another forum called them party speakers and entry level and it's true that they are the first in the SM line but again weighing price, condition and the fact I kinda like them they will stay until my fortunes change.The Vandys' look great but alot seem to have a sock sagging problem but if I could get a clean pair for $400 or less I think I would do it.Also for whatever reason as did not hear them I sort of have a hard on so to speak for a pair of Ohm/Walsh 2xos omni directional speakers who again got all around rave reviews both professional and common people alike.

2chl---Adcom gfa555 200wpc w/ rack mount face >Onkyo P-301 pre>Denon 1940ci cdp>Infinity SM112s>Signal Cable ICs>Samson ps-15 9 outlet plug/surge center

H/T---Toshib au37 flat hdtv>Yamaha RX-V665 avr>Klipsch 500 h/t set w/ 8in pwrd sub>Sony sds 375 5 disc carosel cdp>Tosiba bx2200 blu/ray>Yamaha ysd-12 dock>3rd gen i-pod

• 4 years later...

I would like to put my 2 cents worth on this topic, as i just picked up a pair of Klipsch Hersey II and a pair of Vandersteen Model 2 Ci within the past week.Both these models are currently being sold by both companies, just a newer version for less than 3 grand. The interesting thing about these is that I have verified thru both companies from the serial numbers that both speakers were built in 1988. I am using the Klipsch for my home theater system and the  Vandersteens for my 2 channel stereo system for my pool room.The best thing about both of these speakers is that after 28 years they sound and look the same as they came out of the boxes in 1988. Both AMERICAN Companies and both still fully support their products 100%. When I was a young lad in the 70's I had a Suun Magna 3800 power amplifier that was 160 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 400 watts into 2 ohms with distortion of .045 THD, with an Advent 300 for my pre-amp and I built a pair of 4 way speakers that were about the size of the Vandersteens. They had Electro Voice horns and tweeters and a and had volume controls for each speaker except the 15" woofer, similar two both the Klipsch and Vandersteens speakers. It sounded like a concert and had absolutely 0 distortion. The amazing thing is how both these speakers models have similar sound to my old system. After all these years, it is amazing how little a high quality system sound great 30 years ago and they still sound great now. I am not going to compare either system as I have not listened to them enough to have any kind of opinion yet. The nice thing about acquiring these speakers was the cost of getting high quality speakers for next to nothing. Paid $300 for the pair of Klipsch and $200 for the Vandersteens. Lucky me, I will post later after I have listened to both systems and let the forum know which I like better. All opinions are welcome for other members experience,

On 2/6/2011 at 4:38 AM, tom b. 57 said:

I picked up a pair of these yesterday for a pretty good price and must admit, they sound pretty darn good.

They tend to do a lot of things right.

I am very impressed, even though I have been a Klipsch Heritage fan, I could live with these babies.

Any forum members have similar or different experiences with these?

Tom

P1060589.jpg

Not yet, but now I want to. :mellow:

I own La Scalas and 2Cis. I've been meaning to sell the Vandersteens for a while now, as I no longer have a use for them. Very different speakers, but both very well designed. Richard and Paul are both legends in the industry.