Denon AVR 3600 and no set up menu on screen

oldmako

I picked up a very nice Denon AVR 3600 from the original owner for $150.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon-avr-3600-av/1707-6466_7-30098282.html

This unit uses (it requires) the remote to display and modify the set up function for the HT on the TV....it will ONLY display it on the TV. Unfortunately, my Samsung Plasma will not display the set up menu. I called Denon this afternoon and a tech walked me through it, and helped troubleshoot the rig. We were able to run the DVD signal through the Monitor Out on the AVR as a way of troubleshooting that signal path. All was well. However, the menu still willnot show up on the toob. The Denon tech was very helpful, but we did not fix the problem.

Needless to say, without proper setup I may as well have a piece of junk receiver as opposed to a (admittedly older) high end unit. FRUSTRATED, to say the least.

Before this thing goes on Craigslist, do any of you have any additional suggestions?

I've tried the receiver reboot. It successfully zeros out the unit, but no luck with displaying the setup function.

I have confirmed the cable from monitor out several times. Sometimes when I hit enter on the remote to beging the setup function, the receiver clicks, sometimes it does not. According to the Denon Tech, and the manual, hitting this will automatically bring up the setup menu on the TV. No luck with mine.

Also according to the tech, I ought to be able to "see" the Denon receiver on my TV's "Source" page once I bring it up.

My TV displays - AV, HDMI 1-2-3, PC, and Component 1 (which in this case is my FIOS box). I have checked each input and there is no receiver present.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. Any other ideas just toss em out! I'm stuck, and with the system default the front speakers are "small". Well, mine are huge, and I have no sub, so I am missing out on A LOT!! I have to wind the BASS knob to full to get any reasonable bass at all. With my 2 channel set up these speakers provide insane bass at 12 O'clock. So, I'm losing a prodigious amount of sound in this config.

Will try to borrow a small TV with an RCA style video input.

Im still using my old AVR 3600 and it is indeed a great sounding receiver, not to mention it is a massive unit for a mid series. I have a modern Samsung flat screen and have no problem using the OSD. As long as the input source is correct on the TV you should be able to plug an RCA cord from the monitor out to any "old school" yellow colored video input in on the TV and get it to display. You might try the easy access inputs located on many tv's that are located in the front or on the side of the TV. I dont hink it will work with any other input than an old style basic one. One thing I would make certain is that your source selection is correct on the TV and it has not been programmed to switch or divert it to another. I can give some hands on help tonight once I get home from work. To be honest I hooked mine up set the measurments and never used it again. I cant remember the last time I pulled it up.

I've had success hooking up an LCD (computer) monitor to the monitor out on the receiver. Not all LCD monitors have the video composite input but it's worth a shot if the option is available to you.

This was for a Denon 3801 but it shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks

JJ

max2mc, you said...

<<" One thing I would make certain is that your source selection is correct on the TV and it has not been programmed to switch or divert it to
another. ">>

I'm quite obtuse, so bear with me. When you say source selection... I hit the source button on my TV remote and get the various options for display. Is that what you mean? I don't see the AVR as an option. And just to verify, I have the RCA connected to video out on the Denon and to the only YELLOW video input on the back of my TV. It doesn't appear to me that I have any other option. I will keep at it.....

oldmako:

You can use any of the Video Inputs on the back of your TV (Video 1, Video 2, etc). Just make sure you are using the "Monitor Out" jack on the back of the Denon.

Not knowing the connections on the back of your TV, you do need a Composite Video Jack. My brother's new Samsung Plasma doesn't have a composite choice, only HDMI and Component.

We'll get you up and running.

JJ

The TV is a Samsung Plasma Series 4 450. It's about one year old.

I currently have the RCA jack connected between MONITOR OUT on the Denon and the yellow VIDEO / AV IN input o the toob.

On the back I have the following:

1) HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, HDMI 3 is on the side of the set.

2) Component in 1 and 2. Both identical EXCEPT Only component 1 in has a yellow input. It is colocated with the green, and is listed as "video" and AV IN

3) PC/DVI AUDIO IN - This is a 1/8" stereo pin jack

4) PC IN - This is a multi pin connector

5) AUDIO OUT - This is a 1/8" stereo pin jack

6) DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)

7) EX LINK - This is a 1/8" stereo pin jack

Thanks for the input.

Ok..

After looking at the manual for your TV, It appears that you are doing what I believe is the correct set-up.

You should see the Denon's OSD (On Screen Display) if you have the TV Input set to Component 1.

Have you tried setting the TV to Component 1 first and then pressing the OSD button from the Denon Remote? Just thinking/hoping its a synching problem.

I only looked at the Quick manual, but does the full manual say if you have to configure the Component 1 if you are using it for analog or a composite connection?

JJ

It sounds like you have it hooked up correctly, but just to make sure.... Only hook the cable coming from the "monitor out" on the back of the receiver to a input on the TV that has the old red+white (audio) and yellow (video) option. Make sure no video inputs have been reassigned on the TV...which I dont think is possible on that model. Your TV will not recognize or say AVR, Denon etc. on its souce menu. Just make sure your TV is showing the correct input that you are trying to send a signal to. Also, make sure that remote has both of the slide switches at the top slid all the way to the left. The right top slide switch on the remote will cancel functions if not moved all the way to the left.

BTW, try the enter button AND the onscreen button to see if it pops up. Figured you already have, but wanted to make sure

Thanks for all the help guys. Will fire up my laptop this eve, park right next to the unit with a frosty and and go through these suggestions one at a time.

Steve

I will check in on this thread this evening. This way I can go step by step on my unit and make sure I am not leaving anything out.

I'm at work so I can't look at my Denon's manual (an AVR-4800, but probably similar to the 3600)...

If I remember correctly the On Screen Display is only output from one of the Monitor Out jacks (RCA or S-video only). But if you have something else connected to one of the other Monitor Out jacks (even one of the S-Video jacks) the OSD will not be passed through to your TV. This is mentioned in the manual, but it is just a small one sentence blurb, buried in the setup section... so it's very difficult to find.

Also, I believe the the OSD can be turned off in the setup... so that could be another reason it's not showing. But if you did a hard reset of the receiver, this shouldn't be an issue. Double check the manual and the outputs you're using, I'm guessing you've got something plugged in that's defeating the OSD from being passed by the Monitor Out.

Hokay, hier ist latest...

I tried moving the slides fully left. No change.

I tried starting the TV first, and then opening the source screen. I selected Component Two which is the Denon....no change.

I tried unplugging all inputs to the Toob, with the exception of the MONITOR OUT yellow RCA to the toob. No change.

Right now, I am self medicated and listening to the blues channel. I picked up a handy half of Henry McKenna, a handy half of Gordons Rot Gut Gin, and a 12 pack of Stella Artois for $11.99. Things are cool, but there is room for improvement. I have unplugged ALL the inputs to the TOOB except the VIDEO OUT from the Denon. I guess all the vid from the FIOS goes through the Denon, because its been playing on the TV for the last hour. Zuzu Bollin, look this dude up. Fantastic.

I feel as though victory is on the horizon. However, the horizon is fuzzy.

Giddyup.

To further bewilder me, last night I was messing around with the unit and lo and behold a "HDMI warning something or another" box appeared on the TV. It was vague, and there isn't a glossary in the AVR manual, so I'm not really sure what it wanted to tell me. But, It was a message from the AVR, and the important thing is that the signal is capable of being delivered to the toob. I am still uable to acess the OSD however. Crap.

No on the S Vid. I was so distraught over my audiodicament that I tied one on and left the country the next day. I am currently in Canada self medicating. I shall return to more familiar envorions within the next week or so. I hope to have an S Vid avail at that time.

thx.