Which center to match with RF-7's?

stream

Hey guys, I have a pair of RF-7's that I'd like to use as mains for a digital 5.1 setup. I'm reading that it's important to match timbres across the front three channels, so I'd like to pair up a horn-type Klipsch center with the RF-7's. The following are in (or close to) my budget:

C10
Synergy C1
RC-42 II

What do you guys think of those? Ideally I need to be in the $100 range, but I could stretch to $150. I'd have to find a used RC-42 II in that price range.

Thanks!!

• Moderators

To be honest, I don't think any of them will work well. Not only timbre wise, but also none of them will truly be able to keep up with the big boys.

I've heard the RF-82's with a RC-52 and the RC-52 was definitely not a good match. The RF-7's are much higher up the chain than RF-82's and the RC-42 is further down the chain than the RC-52.

I'd have to find a used RC-42 II in that price range.

Since the II's are a new line, it will be difficult to find a used one.

My suggestion would be to be patient, save up for the correct center channel, the RC-7, and you will be thoroughly satisfied.

• Moderators

I'm reading that it's important to match timbres across the front three channels, so I'd like to pair up a horn-type Klipsch center with the RF-7's.

All Klipsch speakers are horn loaded but being horn loaded doesn't mean timbre matched. Timbre matched means they were designed to be paired with each other. Basically within the same family (RC-7, RF-7 etc).

Understood. Lets suppose that I'm not after "perfect" sound, and that I just want a 5.1 HT system that sounds pretty darn good for $1000 worth of stuff (not counting the RF-7's) and that the RC-42 ii is just one part of that equation. As opposed to using a non-horn speaker, wouldn't I at least be in the same ballpark?

A small center speaker will bottleneck what you already have big-time. Your RF-7s image perfectly enough that you don't need a center speaker with them. There's no shame in running what you have without a center speaker. It isn't a necessity.

A small center speaker will bottleneck what you already have big-time. Your RF-7s image perfectly enough that you don't need a center speaker with them. There's no shame in running what you have without a center speaker. It isn't a necessity.

x2 - definitely run without a center and wait for the RC-7. You'll save yourself disappointment and $$$.

I went thru several centers before getting the RC-7. Once you hear them together you'll understand.

Puny center speaker with RF-7's = "What did he just say?" "Rewind it again." "What did he say?" "Please rewind it again." "What did he say?" "Please rewind it just one more time."

I promise it will get old after a few times. The RF-7's will drown out the RC-42II, RC-52II, etc. Just use the RF-7's with a false center until you find an RC-7. It will clearly sound better than an insufficient center channel.

Bill

I'm going to offer a little different point of view. I would agree that the RC7 is the best way to go but while I was searching for my matching center I had the opportunity to play with a lot of center combinations and still own an RC3. You can use an RC3 and stay in your budget and get very good results. If you go that route you will have to adjust the mains to work with the smaller center for HT but the 3 will do a nice job for now.

I've also run 2 RB5, 2RB61's and 2RP3's(towers left and right of the screen slightly towed in) as centers with the 7's and when all the channels were adjusted, the results were more than acceptable and in some of the situations actually did a better job than the RC7.

If you want the system put together right now with your budget I would go with the RC3 and then see what the future brings your way, but I wouldn't wait and not have a center. IMHO

I hear you on the RC-7, guys. I've looked into it, and I can see three problems:

1) Where am I gonna find one? Can't even find one used

2) It's FAR too big for our current setup. We'd have to get rid of a $2000 entertainment center that we love and figure out a different setup to have room for the RC-7. As long as we live in this house I don't think that's going to happen. That will have to be a "next house" thing.

3) Even used I think it will be far beyond my budget. I know I could wait a few months and save up, but I had to beg and plead with the Boss to spend $1000 on this stuff, and adding another $200 or $300 (or more?) for a center channel would probably blow her fuses

I've had the idea to find a RC-3 or RC-42 ii and crank up its level and lower the RF-7's levels a bit. That should correct the sensitivity issue - at least somewhat. You guys are implying that would be an absolutely horrible idea and sound terrible. Is that because I'm on a Klipsch forum full of audiophile purists who only accept perfection, or because it actually *would* sound horrible? I mean that in the nicest possible way of course :-)

Like I said, I'm only looking for "pretty darn good for $1000" - not absolute HT harmonious perfection. I can always do that later when we can afford much nicer stuff.

I've had the idea to find a RC-3 or RC-42 ii and crank up its level and lower the RF-7's levels a bit. That should correct the sensitivity issue - at least somewhat. You guys are implying that would be an absolutely horrible idea and sound terrible. Is that because I'm on a Klipsch forum full of audiophile purists who only accept perfection, or because it actually *would* sound horrible? I mean that in the nicest possible way of course :-)

I didn't imply that at all, in fact I suggested the RC-3 and can tell you from experience that it will not sound terrible at all.

• Moderators

You guys are implying that would be an absolutely horrible idea and sound terrible. Is that because I'm on a Klipsch forum full of audiophile purists who only accept perfection, or because it actually *would* sound horrible? I mean that in the nicest possible way of course :-)

Basically...[:P]

The reality is that many times we have to make compromises. If you don't have the room, you don't have the room. Regardless of timbre, preference etc, if the RC-7 doesn't work in your setup, then it just doesn't.

Many of us here have cut corners to save a buck only to find ourselves down the road selling that piece and upgrading to the original desire and spending more money in the process.

I would say get the biggest center you can fit within your cabinet. I haven't seen your room but is it possible to place an RC-7 on top of the entertainment center and angle it downward? I've seen RC-7's go as low as $150. Now is that normal, no way. Does it happen, sure it does.

I still think the RC-42 II's and the RC-52 II wouldn't cut it with the RF-7's. I heard the original RC-52 and frankly was not impressed at all and it was paired up with the RF-82's.

Here's a picture of the entertainment center. If I really can put the RC-7 that high and I can find one for around $150, I would be open to it.

I feel that I need a center channel because our main complaint right now (with no surround) is that we have a very hard time hearing dialogue. That's with the RF-7's coming from a 2-channel amp. On a 5.1 setup with a digital amp, wouldn't the receiver still try to route the dialogue to a center channel that isn't there? Or could it be programmed to route it to the RF-7's?

Wouldn't a RC-42 II be better than no center channel at all?

front.jpg