lo123

Couple years ago I had my 70's vintage Dual 1229 lubed and
gone over by a local shop. New eliptical stylus for Stanton
cartridge from same timeframe.

Up till now I've been catching
some thrift store vinyl and cleaning with Spin Clean washer, seems to
work fairly well. I keep my stylus clean with a cleaning brush
and fluid when needed.

Recently saw a sale for some remastered vinyl and bought a couple albums. Been toying with this idea for awhile.

Question
is for this turntable and cartridge combination, the only adjustments I
know of are tracking force and anti-skate. The shop that
cleaned/lubed the table set them both and I have not messed with
them. For Goodwill vinyl I never much cared to finess these
settings. For my new purchases I'm somewhat more concerned.
The new albums are 180 gram vinyl if that matters.

Any suggestions on sources of info on these settings or should I just let it ride? Currently both set to 1.5.

Also, while looking at those settings, I see Tracking Angle is also shown, now I am concerned.

Thoughts, advice, lessons learned?

Hello: my very first high end TT was a 1229 Dual and I loved it. If memory serves me I think the 1229 arm can be adjusted for VTA but I would have to check and please don't trust my memory as it was a very long time and many TT's ago. You can find all the information you will ever need to know about practically any TT over at the Vinyl Engine dot com. They have a full library of manuals and lots of true experts. You can also check out The analog Dept dot com fo more on Dua. Good luck and enjoy your deck.Best regards Moray James.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, guys, appreciate the responses. Crazy busy at work, still have not addressed this alignment issue.

Reading the instructions provided this looks like an alignment with the cartridge removed from the tonearm/shell. Unlikely that I have the referenced gauge, bought the table used around 1972, somewhere I have a box with the stacking spindle and 45 rpm adapter, don't recall seeing a gauge.

I'll also have to dig out the original owners manual (I do have that) and see what the VTA reference is about back by the tonearm gimbal area. If that is another adjustment then more fun ahead......

I'm going to advise a tad more force, 2 grams. It's best to place the needle firmly in the groove and very few arms track well at less than 2 grams. You'll need a test record and an oscilloscope to make finer adjustments. I'm sure a table expert will post some more info.