Cornscala / Wooden Tractrix Horn Build.

BR928

Completed assembly with rear braces (Complete, less front mounting flange that is).The rear braces serve to fix the 1" x 1" opening of the top/bottom in the vertical direction. The dado fixes the sides in the horizontal direction.

The rear brace with it 3/8" hole will attach the horn lens to the round to square transition piece via a 1/4-20 bolt.

post-11856-13819657191636_thumb.jpg

Front edges veneered and finished. Front mounting flange attached. After a little cleanup it's ready to go into the cabinet. It's about time!

very nice job... you shouldn't put them into cabinets... you should put them in Metropolitan Museum of Art... they are beautifull... WOW

This is the 'round to square' transition piece. The threaded inserts are used to bolt the transition piece to the horn lens. The other three are to attach the threaded JBL driver adapter to the transition piece. A little sanding and this is ready to bolt on.

Now who said you can't put a square peg in a round hole?

post-11856-13819657689192_thumb.jpg

After getting the tractrix horns mounted into the cabinets, I had to get an idea for what the finished product was going to look like.

The design goal was to preserve the classic cornwall enclosure proportions while stuffing a 7 x 20 tractrix horn into it.

Works for me!

Going to be ashamed to cover the front with grill cloth!

post-11856-1381965770664_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Finding a home for the ALK's.

Nice crossover choice. I am currently building a set of split Cornscala's using the AP-12 and ES5800.

Dave

The original design concept was to keep the original Cornwall cabinet proportions. Here is the key to this design. The midrange horn extends through the enclosure with the driver mounted externally. This is one of a three part back. This design inherently acts as a front to rear brace.

I also added some sound damping material to the sides of the horn. I figured it could not hurt!

post-11856-13819657821412_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I also added some sound damping material to the sides of the horn. I figured it could not hurt!

Good plan, Bruce Edgar warns against using a single layer sides in his book. I assume dynamat or some other high quality dampening material will work.

Very nice work.

Dave