Anyone watching the grammys?

merkin

Award shows are pretty much a waste of time. Grammys, Oscars, People's Choice, MTV Music Awards - I ignore them all. Quick read in the next day's paper will tell you all you need to know (and even that's not really important). I can think of only one time in the last 20 years that I ever regretted not tuning in to one of these.....and I could watch the tape of that instance after the fact.

i hear ya--it was either the grammy's or a root canal--seeing poor ole bob dylan (who i like) was much more painful.

That's EXACTLY what I thought about Jagger. You can't be too old to rock-n-roll but with the introduction of High Def TV it should give one pause to what their performance is going to look like when they are on a 65" screen....Then again, when MTV came out I thought the same thing when I found out what some of my favorite rockers looked like and dicovered the phrase, "rock star ugly" (meaning a beautiful song can change whats in the eyes of the beholder ;-).

You look at Mick Jagger and the Stones or Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, etc and you wonder do they make Rock music like that anymore? I because its been already made. I mean I wouldn't pay to see the Stones now, but I still listen to their music. In terms of Rock its just does not seem that bands or the music has longevity. There are very few 90s grunge music that I can still listen too, but Led Zepplin, Rush, Pink Floyd, original Genesis (with PG), I still enjoy em. Will any artist that is still producing music today be going or relavent in 20 years even? I would guess technology and the reduced costs that now even small bands can get their music published and the on-line digitial music craze has alot to do with it, so much more one hit wonders.

I'd guess the average age of Klipschers here exceeds 40?

I think you're right. I believe that those in our age group actively listen to the music. I listen to Steve Howe or Brian May play the guitar, or Rick Wakeman play the piano, the Temperance Seven (all eight of them) and truly appreciate their talent. I grew up on rock and love it; but, put on some tommy dorsey and i enjoy it too. is that 20-year old blasting the rap music doing that? i understand they want that heavy, pounding beat to dance; but, can't imagine someone sitting home, putting on some rap, and admiring the musical talent of the artist. maybe they do; but, i think it's more of a social connecting point for that generation rather than music appreciation. **Steve**

Ann and Nancy Wilson, with their band Heart, are doing a North American tour at the moment. They were interviewed on CBC Radio the other day and grumbled that female entertainers nowadays are practically pole dancing, because it seems to be expected.

When I watched Rihanna at the Grammys, I could see what they meant. Tina Turner had some hot moves, but she was always classy. That idea seems to escape some of the younger women.

As well, when Chris Brown sang on SNL last Saturday, my first thought was that his lyrics were a spoof, like when Andy Samberg and Justin Timberlake sang Dick in a Box, but no, he was spelling out what he'd do to his girl at 3 am with no sense of irony. Maybe women like more explicit lyrics these days, but sung as a love song, it just sounded rude.