RF-82 vs RF-82 II on music

Kevin2011

Hi,

Is the RF-82 II good for classical music?

I have tested a RF-52 II and 62 II from a local dealer a short while ago. Between the two, 62 definitely sounds better and "richer".

And recently I also checked out a used RF-82 (not II model), I like the high and mid range, but the bass is a little too strong. Even after the owner changed the setting, it still doesn't sound as good as mid and high ranges. It is hard to describe it.

Just wonder what are the improvements on new RF-82 II? I can't find a local place to test it out.

Also is the RF series designed more suitable for HT instead of music?

Thanks.

The reference line does great for music, but I would say that it is designed to be versatile in music and HT formats and excells for HT. Most audiophiles with no bias towards/against Klipsch feel that the reference line is not as strong as it could be for classical music.

The audiophiles on this forum will strongly recommend that you look at the Heritage speaker line. Check out the 2-channel forum. The heritage series can give you very clean highs lows and mids with a 3-way speaker, and used speakers in good condition will run about the same as a pair of used RF-82s. You might check out your local CL and see if there are some Forte's (about 500.), Chorus or Cornwall's (about 650.) if you want to go that route for a 2.0 system.

• Moderators

I think Corn is correct. I'm a reference guy but for 2ch, the Heritage speakers I've heard sound really nice. Part of that is due to their 3way design as opposed to the reference 2way design.

If you can, try to listen to a pair of heritage speakers in your area to see what your ears like.

I don't listen to classical so I cannot comment on that part.

I actually have similar concerns. I currently am debating whether to sell my wf-34s and get a used pair of rf-82s, but I can't help but have some concerns. This review in particular worries me.

http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-rf-82-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

They said a lot of positive things, but they echo some of the concerns that have been stated here. Not good for classical, acoustic style music. This is a review of my WF34 towers.

http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-icon-wf-34-floorstanding-loudspeakers-reviewed/

Here they state it is good for all kinds of music, even classical. Now my main uses are movies and videogames. I do listen to music often, but mostly rock. But I also love acoustic rock and piano music, and that concerns me with the RF-82. Acoustic guitar sound amazing on my W towers, but yeah, even though the bass is tight and accurate, it doesn't extend that low were the RF82s would. Cornfed has also already helped me out with this previously. I also have a CL local selling selling the WF-35s, the larger towers in my same series. I might be interested in those too.

As a side note not related to the sound of the speakers, the cabinets on the W series is absolutely beautiful. So sleek, smooth and well crafted, I would hate to see them go. I feel that the RF82s will look elementry in comparison. W series - You drink wine. RF series - You perform keg stands. Haha

Hello,

I do own the RF-3s as well as two pairs of the Heritage line speakers: Heresy II & KHorns, and two sets of B&W speakers: 804s and older 803s. I have also listened to RF-82s several times at HiFi stores with good demo rooms. Conclusion: They are generally BAD speakers. The sound is neither krisp, not transparent and clear as expected. IMHO the whole line is no good and only suits a mid-range home theater setup. The ONLY modern Klipsch speakers that are REALLY good are ... the Heritage series ones.

Yes, they look outdated, and are wide/big/tall. But the sound is crisper and clearer by an order of magnitude. Even the cheapest heresy speakers sound considerably better/more balanced than any Reference series speakers. B&Ws (any 8xx series) are also much better (but more expensive as well).

So as far as it comes to listening to serious, quality music, I would not recommend any Klipsch speakers besdies the Heritage ones...

Kind regards,
Leo

Hello,

I do own the RF-3s as well as two pairs of the Heritage line speakers: ...The ONLY modern Klipsch speakers that are REALLY good are ... the Heritage series ones.

So as far as it comes to listening to serious, quality music, I would not recommend any Klipsch speakers besdies the Heritage ones...

Wow. [:o] You really need to go and listen to a pair of RF-7s set up correctly. Hands down they are better than the RF-3s and Heresies for music.

Will there be too much bass for music? What type of music do you listen to?

I don't listen to much 2 channel anymore and multichannel music is 80% of my listening. Everything from Steely Dan to the Ohio players along with a couple chicks singing country and a few jazz sacds. Alice Cooper and Depeche Mode also has some interesting multichannel material that I like but the last thing I really enjoyed in 2-channel was Sarah Mclachlan and Dido. Fwiw, I have two subwoofers and you can't tell where the RF-7s end and the dual RSWs pick up. [H]

Hello,

I do own the RF-3s as well as two pairs of the Heritage line speakers: Heresy II & KHorns, and two sets of B&W speakers: 804s and older 803s. I have also listened to RF-82s several times at HiFi stores with good demo rooms. Conclusion: They are generally BAD speakers. The sound is neither krisp, not transparent and clear as expected. IMHO the whole line is no good and only suits a mid-range home theater setup. The ONLY modern Klipsch speakers that are REALLY good are ... the Heritage series ones.

Yes, they look outdated, and are wide/big/tall. But the sound is crisper and clearer by an order of magnitude. Even the cheapest heresy speakers sound considerably better/more balanced than any Reference series speakers. B&Ws (any 8xx series) are also much better (but more expensive as well).

Kind regards,
Leo

I actually tested B&W 683 briefly @bestbuy and like them. Those are the only B&W speakers I experienced.

What is your opinion on those? How about 7xx series and CM8 series?

My budget is around 2K, or 3K at a stretch.

I also heard KEF XQ is pretty good, but have a hard time to try to demo them.

PS. Sorry if I talked too much about other brands here. After all it is a Klipsch forum. [:$]

Oops, just noticed 7xx is discontinued.