NOT AGAIN

BigStewMan

There seems to be a misconception of "octane" in describing gas. Octane is not a measure of gas quality. It is a measure of combustibility. The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to "ignite". This helps prevent detonation in higher compression engines. The additives it takes to make the gas less volatile is what makes the gas more expensive, although some gas companies also add detergents or cleaners to their high octane gas so they can advertise their "premium" gas as superior to their "regular" gas. Using a higher octane gas than what your engine requires only depletes the money in your wallet, which in turn makes you lighter, thus saving gas by not having to lug around the extra weight of all that money.

Yes, BUT........

The raw data comparison is a bit vacuous. In Germany, you also have far better roads and transportation systems than here in the USA (I am pretty sure). So your higher gas price is offset by either lower costs or greater benefits elsewhere in the overall economy. Or maybe not. But that has to be taken into account. Inevitably, the argument will turn on some variation of "standard of living," whereby comparisons must be made of various classes against the same class eleswhere. "Does the average German enjoy a higher or lower standard of living than the average Martian or whatever?"

In general one could say the Autobahn (highway) is better than American highways but the infrastrusture in citys is going down the toilet. The last hard winters have taken their toll on the roads and there is no money for repairs. Another use is "closing" the deep hole in social security.

Arond 60-70% of the gas price are Taxes, by a price from 1,50€ around 84,5 Eurocent goes directly into the pocket of the Gubment. Around 60 Eurocent is the "Ökosteuer" I will quote from Wiki here:

"An ecotax has been enacted in Germany by means of three laws in 1998, 1999 and 2002. The first introduced a tax on electricity and petroleum, at variable rates based on environmental considerations; renewable sources of electricity were not taxed. The second adjusted the taxes to favor efficient conventional power plants. The third increased the tax on petroleum. At the same time, income taxes were reduced proportionally so that the total tax burden remained constant."

As to the standard of living arguement, depends on who you ask. The things are shifting to be somewhat simular to how it is in America, all of the bad ideas that we had are spilling over. But that is another can of worms...Cost of living increasing, pay decreasing... same ol same ol!!! bla bla

You guys have it lucky!!

We are paying, depending on time of day sometimes, 1,479€/ Liter in Germany.

That calculates to around $7,58/ Gallon

Still think you have a high price for gas???Wink

But Europeans typically don't have to drive the distances that a typical US person does. Therefore the actual cost per year is about the same.

Tom

There seems to be a misconception of "octane" in describing gas. Octane is not a measure of gas quality. It is a measure of combustibility. The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to "ignite". This helps prevent detonation in higher compression engines. The additives it takes to make the gas less volatile is what makes the gas more expensive, although some gas companies also add detergents or cleaners to their high octane gas so they can advertise their "premium" gas as superior to their "regular" gas. Using a higher octane gas than what your engine requires only depletes the money in your wallet, which in turn makes you lighter, thus saving gas by not having to lug around the extra weight of all that money.

Don't bother......claims like his are always the same. Can't explain it, it just is. All the scientific and controlled experimentation be dam, by gawd my Ford XTZ gets 10mpg better when it's that time of the month for my wife. Why? 'Cause I says so. sheesh......

This is why when you see these commercials promising stupid gas savings by adding super duper slikity slick to the engine oil you say, "Who in their right mind would believe or buy that?" Whelp......there's your sign. They know someone will buy it swear their car went from 17mpg to 43mpg.

And "indexing" spark plugs......now there's some science. Let's see, the good folks at NGK (they design, test, and make spark plugs) say, "However, without running an engine on a dyno, it is impossible to gauge which type of indexing works best in your engine. While most engines like the spark plug's gap open to the intake valve, there are still other combinations that make more power with the gap pointed toward the exhaust valve. In any case, engines with indexed spark plugs will typically make only a few more horsepower, typically less than 1% of total engine output. For a 500hp engine, you'd be lucky to get 5hp. While there are exceptions, the bottom line is that without a dyno, gauging success will be difficult." Other performance engine builders info I've read over the years agrees with this - that the plug should be pointed at the exhaust valve. I know that's what the NASCAR engine builders do. Didn't you say that you pointed yours at the intake valves?? Hmmmm.......

Tom

But in Saudi Arabia gas is, what, 12 cents/gal.? And water costs HOW much there??

subsidized heavily by the Saudi governmnent. Why because they have to ship it to a country that could refine the oil (Oil companies are smart to not refine in the country of origin due to well flammability issues (oil does not burn easily), stability as they realized the government could kick them out, and for the ability to ship a bunch of different grades over at the same time.

Water is a lot cheaper now due to better desalination processes using reverse osmosis rather than steam condense of yore. Also again subsidized by the government. I believe all utilities are paid for by the government

Lets also not forget that 87 has more energy than 93 just that self ignition or pre detonation ruins things.

Then why do I get 27mpg in my current car with 89 octane and 32mpg with 93?

The reasoning to me is moot. All I know is that it does.

Newer cars can optimize their gas/fuel ratio to get the best gas mileage. The car can understand that and have optimum performance with the gas. It usually takes a tank of gas or two for the computer to change.

"The following is in reference to pump gas.

Octane in reference to pump gasoline, is correctly called the octane rating. This is a comparison to, "2,2,4-Trimethylpentane, also known as isooctane" which is an octane isomer and defines the 100 point on the octane rating scale. Heptane is the zero point on the octane rating scale.

Octane rating is used to reference the compressibility of the gasoline. The higher the octane rating the more compressible it is, the lower the octane rating, the less compressible it is. As an example, an octane rating of 91, says this fuel acts like is was 91% isoctane and 9% heptane.

Higher octane rating fuels do not have more stored energy in them, and do not make more HP, they just allow for higher compression rations, (before detonation occurs), and the higher compression rations produce a bigger bang, which is where the additional Hp comes from.

Running higher octane fuels in a motor designed to run on a lower octane does absolutely nothing to improve performance, and doing so wastes your money."

Regular unleaded is still going for $2.89 to $3.05 a gallon here in north Georgia/Chattanooga, TN area. NON ethanol gas is running about the same price. Bruce

It's not like I've spent a lot of time searching, but where do you find 'NON ethanol' gasoline?

Nice avatar btw. congrats.

Keith

But Europeans typically don't have to drive the distances that a typical US person does. Therefore the actual cost per year is about the same.

Tom

True, but I drive around 150,000km /Year (roughly 93,205 Miles/Year) so I am feeling it... The last tank filling in my Audi A4 cost 76,89€ (around $101)

It's not like I've spent a lot of time searching, but where do you find 'NON ethanol' gasoline?

Nice avatar btw. congrats.

Keith

North Georgia (Fort Oglethorpe, Ringgold, Rossville, etc) has Megastar stations, which have non ethanol gas, and some of the Smile stations do as well. There are some others, for a while some of the Moonlight stations carried non ethanol.

The avatar... thanks. We're happy!

Bruce

I search out the NON ethanol stations in my area for my 2 cycle engines. Especially the outboard boat motor. They are starting to charge a real premium for it too. I noticed one station this week is asking $3.99 for the Non ethanol reg. and a competing station right across the street wanting $2.99 for the 10% variety.

I search out the NON ethanol stations in my area for my 2 cycle engines. Especially the outboard boat motor. They are starting to charge a real premium for it too. I noticed one station this week is asking $3.99 for the Non ethanol reg. and a competing station right across the street wanting $2.99 for the 10% variety.

The non ethanol variety is running the same price at most stations here. This morning I paid $3.10 gal.