Will Vincent Baldwin Amp vs Dynaco ST 70 Amp

jcmusic

Yes, Sort of.

I once had a Dynaco ST 70..actually a MkII if I recall correctly, then later a Vincent rebuilt Baldwin. I've never been able to compare it to a Will Vincent Dynaco. However, given the relative simplicity of the Baldwin...I'd give it the edge. Will does fantastic things with these amps both Dynaco and Baldwin. I always had the feeling like I could drop the Baldwin out of a second story window and it would be OK...plus the auto biasing feature is a bonus.

Pretty sure the Dynaco was rated higher output Wattage, but with Klipsch it matters very little. Sound was similar, but the Baldwin was dead quiet. Typical lush tube mids, little muddy in the bass...yadda, yadda, yadda.

My ST-70 is stock and probably could use newer caps and such while the Baldwin amp has obviously been recently rebuilt and modded so...grain of salt and such but I found the Baldwin offers a quieter and smoother presentation while the ST-70 is a bit veiled in the highs, a tad harsh in the upper mids but has more bottom end extension by comparison. Have fun

I have Mr. Vincent's rebuilt Baldwin. I actually just picked up a pair of Tannoy Windsors with 15" Gold concentric drivers and am going to try a few amps - one being Vincent's Baldwin as well as a Scott 222c and a pair of McIntosh MC-30's as those are the most powerful tube amps I have access to at the moment. I wasn't considering the ST-70 but this thread may inspire me to dust it off and give it a whirl.

If you're asking me... I have yet to hook either amp to my speakers but I've loaned both out and heard them in friends' systems. One friend tried them with Cornwalls and I do remember that both of us preferred the Baldwin amp but thought the ST-70 had a little more 'kick' in the bottom end. The only other horn-type speaker I've heard the Baldwin on is the Cain & Cain Abby and it was completely quiet. The ST-70 has a little noise and mechanical hum but then, the dust on it is over 40 years old, the tubes are original and its never been opened so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Actually, I just remembered that the Baldwin amp is still on loan and was hooked up to a pair of Urei 813c's. It sounded sweet on the tweeter horn but didn't have enough power to drive the woofers well. Wouldn't you know it - I finally have a use for the amp and its not available...jeez louise!

Hey Mike,

It's more of an expirement just to hear something a little different. I am not going in a different direction, the Korneff 45 will always be the base for most of the music I listen to. I have a lot of Classic Rock LP's which I 'd like to hear the way the were meant to be heard, every now and then I get in the mood to really turn it up!!! More than anything it will be a backup amp for the 45.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I got the Super Baldwin hooked up a couple days ago here are some pic's as it sits now. I am really glad to have bought this amp it is a really sweet sounding amp, I am really enjoying it what a pleasant surprise!!! Thanks to all who contributed to helping me in my search.

post-21005-13819637852438_thumb.jpg