HTPC and Shark 007 users

BorderCollie

HTPC users-

Are any of you guys with HTPC's using Shark 007 codec package for HD content? I am using Shark 007 codec package to run WMC7 x64 with EMO UMC-1, I finally got all the EDID issues worked out last week, and this week was spent devoted to correcting my audio issues. I finally was able to get all the audio working on my HD content, and it was rough to get to this point.

I was wondering if, anyone else was using this codec package and what their thoughts are? If they are using a similar set-up, what type of settings are they using to maxmize the sound quality out of their gear?

-BC

i started with the shark07 codecs, but soon after removed it and went with the individual codecs.

the downsize of using a "codec pack" is it has too much stuff in it and a lot that you don't ever need, sure it's convenience.

also, when something goes wrong, it's really difficult to isolate the issue. and if you want to upgrade a specific codec within the package, good luck with that.

i have the following codecs installed on my htpc, works wonderfully without all the extra baggage.

ffshow

haali media splitter

win7dsfiltertweaker

that's all. here's a great guide, works like a charm.

http://www.thehtpc.net/tips-tricks-guides/my-codec-guide-for-windows-7-media-center/

I'm not sure if I am ready to go to individual Codec's just yet, I realized today that I know very little about them, and I probably would have been able to get down to the root of all my problems, had I known a little bit. I'm not even sure what a "splitter" is and does.... I have built many computers and had a lot of success before, so I was very surprised that when I built my 1st HTPC that I would run into so many problems I had never seen, i.e. EDID and now Codecs, etc. Its mainly driven by the change in technology and the integration of consumer electronics with computers, I think that as time goes on HTPCs will become more popular (they already are a lot more than they were a year a go when I built mine) these issues will go away as things become more autonamous.

You are correct about the Shark007 package though. Had it not been for many other people with my same issues, I doubt I would have ever solved my problem on my own. I am still having one small issue, but I can live with that until I can spend some more time and learn about codecs, etc....

Thanks for the link, it was informative, I may be back with more questions....

Yeah, especially with Widows 7, you really don't need to install much as it can handle most codecs natively. Haali Media splitter for .mkv files, ffdshow, and you should be all good. No need for a codec pack any more. Trust me when I say it's a lot easier than it used to be. [:D]