Klipsch Image S4 - Logo fading?

cflores

Hello Everyone,

Has the Klipsch logo faded on your earphones? I have only had mine (Klipsch Image S4 - Black) for about a week and the Klipsch logo on the earphone (on the chrome/shiny part) has already faded. The logo is no longer there.

I have been taking extra care of these earphones, and even then, the simple action of removing them from my ears and storing them in the case has caused the logo to fade.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please share.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi! I bought mine off of eBay recently from an American seller. The price was much cheaper than Amazon ($45 vs. $70+) .. but I checked as carefully as possible for any signs of imitation. The logo on my headphones pretty much faded as soon as I put them in my ear. I've had them for two days now - on the left side the logo is completely gone and on the right side it's about 50% visible. That said - they sound FANTASTIC and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. These headphones ROCK! Hope that helps ease your mind.

Hullo ! I bought mine about a month ago. At first, I couldn't manage to get the peculiar ear-seal you need in order for them to fully display their potential; none of the included ear tips could get the job done, no matter how I squeeze them in my ears... They just sounded like the cheapest earphones available anywhere. I knew it was hard to get them to sound the way they were supposed to for all the reviews I read about them (and believe me, I read over 50) However, everything changed the moment I changed the ear tips. First, I used the large sized Sennheiser's silicone tips (I got big ears), and though they definitely improve the quality of the sound and achieved a tight seal, I knew they could sound even better. Next, I tried the Skullcandy's large silicone tips (which are somehow softer than the Sennheiser's) and WOW! Finally, the sound I was looking for was there and more. However, even with these ear tips, I still spend some time squeezing them right to get the proper seal. Now, on to the issue at hand: One thing I immediately noticed was the fading of the logo on the right side only after 1 week of use. I went ahead and searched on the web to see if this was a clear sign of them being a fake, but there were no mentions about it, until I came about this thread (by then, the logo on the left side was gone too). If, indeed, the logo on both earphones fade away so fast normally, then I will not be concerned. However, it would be great if a Klipsch representative confirms this. KLIPSCH, are you listening (reading)?!?!

I would think if knock-offs/bootlegs were prevalent, there would be more info about it on the web. I was a little weary about the deep discount on eBay. It was $45USD on eBay vs. $70+ on Amazon.

It does not surprise me that the ink comes off the chrome very easily. What IS a little strange is that on my right piece I can still see "Klipsch" in a dark grey. On the left piece all that remains is the "ch" - no black ink left on either side. Honestly, it's such a minor detail that it shouldn't annoy me- though it does seem bizarre that it would come off in a day. I literally got them last night.

Re: ear piece - the standard medium size seems to be the best fit for me. My package was "factory-sealed" (new) and came with the case, cleaning piece and 3 extra pairs of tips in different sizes.

Hi,

I too, took the plunge on an ebay Image S4 from a US seller for $42.00. When the package arrived, all looked OK. Sealed box with the perforated side to open. I put them in my ears and the first thing I noticed was a sound signature of all muddy lows with no definition in the mids or clarity in the highs. When I took them out, I noticed that the logo was almost gone on both earpieces. This was after about 5 minutes of touching the earpieces while adjusting to get a good seal. I purchased these as a backup for my current S4 and neither the SQ nor the disappearing logo was an issue with those. Needless to say, back in the box they went and they are on they're way back to the ebay seller. I called Klipsch and asked if there had been any reports of issues with QC on the S4. He said no and asked me to send them in. Of course, I declined. I have no doubt that the ebay S4 I received was a counterfeit. As meticulous as the packaging and overall earphone appearance was done, they proved to be just a cheap copy. Given all the reports of fake Monster, Sennheiser, Sony............ earphones on ebay, I guess we'll soon be adding Klipsch. This is my humble opinion so if you love your ebay Klipsch, maybe you were just lucky, Rock On. I definitely was not.

Wow...I've had the same experience. I got my S4i's in the mail this weekend from an Amazon marketplace seller, and I swear I spent half the weekend A B'ing them against my sh$&ty iPhone headphones saying there's no way these are the same headphones that got about 600 glowing reviews on Amazon...is there?? The basses are totally woofy, and there is no definition in the high tones. Snare drums sounds like bass drums. All the highs are buried in the bass tones.. My crappy iPhone headphone, while tinny have far more definition in the highs. Also both logos have almost completely rubbed off in just a couple of days. Counterfeit? I don't know.. I emailed the seller, and he responded saying must be a factory defect..mail back for a refund.. Unless I just have different ears than almost every other person that's been reviewing these headphones something is fishy...

Wow...I've had the same experience. I got my S4i's in the mail this weekend from an Amazon marketplace seller, and I swear I spent half the weekend A B'ing them against my sh$&ty iPhone headphones saying there's no way these are the same headphones that got about 600 glowing reviews on Amazon...is there?? The basses are totally woofy, and there is no definition in the high tones. Snare drums sounds like bass drums. All the highs are buried in the bass tones.. My crappy iPhone headphone, while tinny have far more definition in the highs. Also both logos have almost completely rubbed off in just a couple of days. Counterfeit? I don't know.. I emailed the seller, and he responded saying must be a factory defect..mail back for a refund.. Unless I just have different ears than almost every other person that's been reviewing these headphones something is fishy...

I just got mine today and went through exactly what you explained. There is no way these are the headphones that got such good reviews. Itesed some old crappy headphones and they are 10 time better.

Also, right out of the box the logo was smeared away. Within a few seconds the entire logo was gone.

I returned mine to the seller...then went down to the Apple store tonight and paid full price for a new pair, and all I can say is those were definitely not the real thing. There is no questioning the quality of these headphones. They sound amazing! You'll know it when you hear it. If you're questioning what you're hearing, they're probably not real Klipsch S4's

Wow, that's amazing. On my pair the Klipsch mark is the right size (smaller) and the only issue I've had is the "Klipsch" black text completely wearing off almost instantly. However - unlike the images at the link above - the sliver (chrome) area is not rubbing off. You can see in the image of the counterfeit that the gray area is rubbing away which suggests silver paint and not chrome. Luckily, this isn't the case with my pair.

For what it's worth I work for a small toy company and we deal with different vendors and factories in China. Sometimes our products come back slightly different - different color, slightly different tag or packaging, lesser quality. The price of dealing in China is you exchange cheap labor for a lack of quality control - unless you're a major company and have the manpower/resources to manage overseas. So keep in mind, that sometimes an original product from the manufacturer could be produced slightly differently.

I don't have stellar hearing, so I could be wrong - but I don't think the pair that I got through eBay is a fake. My guess is that the factory switched to a cheaper paint/process for the text logo on the chrome and did not take into account that it wears off quickly. It is encouraging to me that the chrome (silver) isn't wearing off on my pair like the images above.

Lastly, I noticed on the Amazon reviews some comments about the bass - particularly regarding the mids/highs and the bass not having enough kick. Keep in mind that the average reviewer isn't an audiophile (myself included), so for the price and the quality people will be easily impressed. Personally, I think these are a great value - but I'm sure there are more expensive options out there that would blow the sound quality on these out of the water. Just my 2 cents. Peace and happy listening everyone!

Hi, I understand the point you're making but keep in mind that Klipsch is known as a premium audio company. I sincerely doubt that they would allow their product to be manufactured by anything less than the most skilled workers that China could offer and under the strictest guidelines. If it were a case of poor QC for legitimate Klipsch products, I'm sure Klipsch would have been aware. As I already stated, Klipsch support person, knew nothing of any issues.

Searching the web, it seems that the counterfeit S4 started surfacing at the least, the end of last year. Maybe Klipsch is aware of the counterfeit problem and thats why they will only offer warranty support for products purchased through authorized dealers. If you check their dealer page, you'll see that Amazon is listed as an authorized dealer but not their selling partners. Maybe the mixed reviews were the results of fakes vs real or just varying opinions. Who knows?

I guess what it comes down to is that the counterfeiters are getting incredibly good at their game and its becoming increasingly hard to find a good deal on a legitimate product.

Wow, that's amazing. On my pair the Klipsch mark is the right size (smaller) and the only issue I've had is the "Klipsch" black text completely wearing off almost instantly. However - unlike the images at the link above - the sliver (chrome) area is not rubbing off. You can see in the image of the counterfeit that the gray area is rubbing away which suggests silver paint and not chrome. Luckily, this isn't the case with my pair.

For what it's worth I work for a small toy company and we deal with different vendors and factories in China. Sometimes our products come back slightly different - different color, slightly different tag or packaging, lesser quality. The price of dealing in China is you exchange cheap labor for a lack of quality control - unless you're a major company and have the manpower/resources to manage overseas. So keep in mind, that sometimes an original product from the manufacturer could be produced slightly differently.

I don't have stellar hearing, so I could be wrong - but I don't think the pair that I got through eBay is a fake. My guess is that the factory switched to a cheaper paint/process for the text logo on the chrome and did not take into account that it wears off quickly. It is encouraging to me that the chrome (silver) isn't wearing off on my pair like the images above.

Lastly, I noticed on the Amazon reviews some comments about the bass - particularly regarding the mids/highs and the bass not having enough kick. Keep in mind that the average reviewer isn't an audiophile (myself included), so for the price and the quality people will be easily impressed. Personally, I think these are a great value - but I'm sure there are more expensive options out there that would blow the sound quality on these out of the water. Just my 2 cents. Peace and happy listening everyone!

Klipsch has very talented engineers in China on site to ensure their products are manufactured to spec.

China has one serious problem that is impossible to control. Patent laws are viewed as suggestions by many of the less than scrupulous Chinese business people. So I would not be surprised if some counterfeits are getting out.

With patients, many legitimate on-line retailers, even many that sell through Amazon occasionally have some incredible deals. Such as Audio Advisor a very well respected retailer who sells thorugh Amazon and who is authorized closed out Image X5's (MSRP $249) for under $130 a while back due to packaging changes I think more than anything. I've seen the Image S3's on sale from legitimate retailers for 1/2 off certain colors, probably colors they ordered too many. So with patience and diligence good deals on legimate products can be found.

Also don't forget, even if the counterfeiters use the right materials and things, probably not likely but may copy pretty well in some cases, they've not spent the very serious captial on research and development that goes into even the entry level S3 much less the Image X10's and X5's and the sadly no longer available Custom models.

I can attest that Klipsch's customer support is very good. However, they cannot honor warranties from unauthroized retailers for many reasons. That just wouldn't make sense.

• Moderators

Be very leery of buying off of ebay or unauthorized resellers on Amazon. Knock-offs are all too

common (from Klipschorns to headphones - this is not a new practice by any means), although we are working diligently to address the issue. The

best course of protection, as a consumer, is to always buy from an

authorized dealer.

Be very leery of buying off of ebay or unauthorized resellers on Amazon. Knock-offs are all too

common (from Klipschorns to headphones - this is not a new practice by any means), although we are working diligently to address the issue. The

authorized dealer.

Hi Amy! Thanks for chiming in. Have there been any official consumer complaints of the black Klipsch text wearing off of the headphones? Or has it been a known issue? This would be very useful information, pertinent to this thread.

authorized dealer.

Hi Amy.I apologize for my bad English but I use Google Translate to write here.After reading many good reviews for Klipsch Image S4 decided to buy them.First I looked for authorized dealer for Bulgaria and I was happy that it exists ( AUDIO ARTE & HD STUDIO) but when I asked them told me they don't offer this model.Then I took on an ebay from a US seller for $60.00 and when the package arrived I found that I have received just a cheap copy.I told the seller about this problem and got a full refund.Now I have a counterfeit headphones bonus but keep searching original Klipsch S4.On the Klipsch website I found some authorized online dealers but they either do not offer shipping to Bulgaria or shipping exceeds the value of the headphones.I'm not ready to buy them for $200.So my question to Amy is why it is so easy to buy counterfeit and so difficult or impossible to purchase original.I think that Klipsch should pay more attention to the distribution.

Hey Yoshimano! Could you kindly tell us if you bought your pair through an authorized reseller?

Now you guys have me wondering if my pair is legitimate.. but I'm a little weary of spending $80 in order to find out. The bass is on my phones is a little weaker than I like it, but I've read other reviews that have reported the same issue.

P.S. The black Klipsch text on mine basically rubbed off out of the package.

Hey Yoshimano! Could you kindly tell us if you bought your pair through an authorized reseller?

Now you guys have me wondering if my pair is legitimate.. but I'm a little weary of spending $80 in order to find out. The bass is on my phones is a little weaker than I like it, but I've read other reviews that have reported the same issue.

P.S. The black Klipsch text on mine basically rubbed off out of the package.

I have no problems with the bass on my headphones is even too loud.The main problem is that no definition in the mids or clarity in the highs.I'm sure that they are fake but then I got a full refund I'm no longer angry.I can even use them sometimes, though I hate fakes :)

I hope that your headphones are genuine when they sound so good.Fading of the logo is not decisive whether they are genuine or fake.With my headphones on the left side the logo is completely gone but the right side still look brand new.