Crites CS-1.5 project

ZombieWoof

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another Pix............................................................

I'm rebuilding the 2 Hersey cabs that were CS-1's & rebuilding the CS-1 center I made , plus adding 2 more CS-1.5 ..So 5 CS-1.5 in total to go with my 4 Cornscala' s

Yes it's soon to be 9.2 HT @ CasaSlappy here in SlappyVille ! Also I got a Onkyo TX-NR5008 & an Emotiva Amp to push them all

post-41965-13819637374362_thumb.jpg

the parts & drivers cost in the high 400's for a pair

here's a link to the Crites site by Bob & Michael Crites

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html

no build thread just didn't take the time to do one

still @ the Finishing / waxing stage on the cabs

i think Bob & Michael can make the motor boards for you & if U can't do the cabs your self then he has the plans on the site & any local cabinet maker can cut them for you , & assy is easy as it's a very simple design

mine are Horizontal due to them being used as hieghts , wides & center

i plan on putting the H/W up near the ceiling & aim them down @ the main listening position

my L/R front & L/R surrounds are 4 CornScala's

any question feel free to ask me

& contact Bob he's a really easy guy to work with , salt of the earth ,straight shooter .honest guy !

here's a link on my review of the UPA-7 U will be interested on what I say there

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/144707/1496330.aspx#1496330

feel free to contact me

Just a overall better sound across the board ,more detail,presance,clarity that excells over what a Hersey can do

that Crites 12" woof is amazing in the fact that is sounds soo much richer & pronouced than the stock hersey woof

& the Selieum horn / driver combo is that just has a better Voice, impact,detail . It truely puts the Hersey to a way lower rung of the sonic ladder

They are just Really Great speakers hands down way better in every respect . when comparing a new set of Hersey's to a CS-1 price wise it's a no brainer then compare that the CS1.5 goes down & hits the bass response that has alway been lacking in a Hersey since the day they were made . Is agin no brainer

Now i don't have any facts on this but I feel the CS-1 & CS-1.5 is more sensitive that a stock Hersey & yes I have had owed hersey's & i am/been very familuar with them for years

3/4" Oak .

around here the Oak plywood................... is Oak all the way thru all layers it's Hard ! [:@]

that a min-wax red Chestnut stain/sealer followed by ,teac oil then, wax & feed (bee's wax carnuba,orange oil) on thick here !

2 to 3 days to set-up then

steel wool 0000 dipped in paint thinner rubbed with the grain levels it all out

made the motor board to cover all the front as I'm going for the decorator look with round black mesh grills on the woofs & leaving the horns open

3/4" Oak .

around here the Oak plywood................... is Oak all the way thru all layers it's Hard ! Angry

that a min-wax red Chestnut stain/sealer followed by ,teac oil then, wax & feed (bee's wax carnuba,orange oil) on thick here !

2 to 3 days to set-up then

steel wool 0000 dipped in paint thinner rubbed with the grain levels it all out

made the motor board to cover all the front as I'm going for the decorator look with round black mesh grills on the woofs & leaving the horns open

I'll trim the plywood ends with strips of Oak 1/8 thick by 1 1/2" wide

I wood glued & screws with bracing on the inside

the bracing makes for an easy assy , as u lay the bacing along the edge offset soo the side panel line up

screw the bracing from the inside

bracing is 1x2" 's

i'll post some Pix of the inside of one to show how I did it

I dis-assy 'ed the drivers from my test cab & now all five are being finished , I'm down to wax & buff part

U can skip all that just stain & poly

but I like the oiled finish look

if you already have hersey's then all you do is cut the horn hole & change out the woof & horns for his woof 7 horns

the 1st set the CS-1's i did were that way

the CS-1 center I made myself from no plans as I needed the horn horizonal

Mike

check local with cabinet maker they might be able to do the cuts & the assebley for ya ,

if not then at least the cuts

bob's plans call for the woof hole to be router out to recess it along with the horn

BUT i found that it's just as easy to mount the woof insde & then mount the horn outside & no recess is needed

but if you need help just ask i'll help in any way I can

I can even send you the router template to I used to cut the holes for the woof & horn

the ports are a $14.00 ........... 2 & 3/4" hole saw with a hand drill

#1 tite bondworks just as well==> the III is just water resitant & costs more

#2 that depends on the bracing used U want to go thru the bracing & not thru the plywood, I use a sheetrock style screw I'll look @ the ones I used & get back @ ya Plus I owe you some pix anyway

#3 I got mine @ Lowes 1/2" & 1/3" in 8 foot sections (it's pine ) select the ones with less Knots & that are straight not warped OR curved in any way

if U have to go thru the whole pile then do so it's worth it .

they ran 98 cents & 1.15 for each size

they are on the else with the 2x4's usaully .. NOT the moulding section you will pay way too much for that stuff

are you gonna do a Vertical OR a horizonal speaker ? the horizi works GREAT as a center the ones in the pix are the Horzi . i can send the link for the grill for the woofs if U like that style they were $10 each 2 piece steel they have a mountng ring & the grill snaps into place