My Panasonic SA XR70...Initial Thoughts...

SilverSport

Well...I picked up one of these the other day (just arriving a today) after Wuzzzer posted some time back about wanting a Panasonic Digital Receiver...I was interested years ago when there was all the buzz about Digital Amps but Wuzzz' recent thread and of course the lowered admission price started me back again...

Mine arrived in very nice condition but never mentioned in the sale would be the omission of the not included Remote Control, AM Antennae, FM Antennae, or the Owner's Manual...on the upside...the Owner's Manual is available online and most if not all of the functions can be done on the front panel of the receiver...

My initial thoughts are like many...very lightweight in feel, seems well built though...the speaker connections on the back are really cheap...I had to cut off the connectors I had on a pair of speaker wire and attach the wire bare...not too difficult but Panasonic didn't give us much room...anyway...

Trying to go through the menus manually was more difficult than I imagined but it can be done...make a mistake and it's back to the beginning...once I have it set up (or so I thought) I connect a spare Toshiba SD 3950 DVD player (remember the bargain CD player craze a few years back?) to act as CD player...the only thing I plan to hook up for this gear set up...

I grab a CD that I have a lot of time listening too as well as try a pair of Klipsch Quartets that have Bob and Michael Crites updated crossovers and their Titanium Tweeter modification...both highly recommended by the way...and listen...hmmmmmm.

well...after about 4 songs I think it sounds sterile (not necessarilly a bad thing) clean but no big bass as I expected based on what I heard from Wuzzzer, Mallette and Quiet Hollow...but as with anything (at least with ME involved) there is a learning curve and perhaps I have done something wrong...

Bill

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...so on to the trouble shooting...another glance at the online Owner's Manual and I go to speakers...hmmm...maybe I need to connect the speakers from the A terminals to the B terminals...I try that...then go to the selector again and I see that the speaker settings, despite my reset went to HT (their defaults) so I make it Left and Right speakers only and then see that Subwoofer was ON...I select OFF and what a kick of bass...there it is...

I am sure I still have this futzed up some as the front panel screen shows 44.1kHz(tuner frequency???) but digital is ON and everything looks pretty good...and the sound...nice...

Wuzzzer, Mallette and Quiet Hollow were right...this is very nice so far (and I predict better with some more tweaking)...

VERY clean sound...VERY crisp sound and plenty of bass from those Quartets...and not as much an outlay in cash than on most anything else I have bought today...it does deserve a WOW so...WOW

Bill

...weird but I have heard some notes that I have never heard before...and I have listened to this CD, Room for Squares John Mayer many times on Solid State (McIntosh, Nakamchi, Yamaha, Outlaw Audio), Tubes (NOSValves VRDs, EICO) and now this BUDGET system...WOW...

I'm not prepared as yet to say it is the best thing I have ever heard but...wow, just WOW...

Thanks for the help everyone and the extra help Wuzzzer, Mallette and Quiet Hollow...

Bill

PROS: Crisp and Clean with no caffein...Power...nothing added and perhaps you'll hear some tings you never did before...lightweight and relatively inexpensive on the pre-owned market...seems well made for the most part...

CONS: CHEAP speaker connectors...no audiophile aspirations with this...

Bill

PROS: Crisp and Clean with no caffein...Power...nothing added and perhaps you'll hear some tings you never did before...lightweight and relatively inexpensive on the pre-owned market...seems well made for the most part...

CONS: CHEAP speaker connectors...no audiophile aspirations with this...

Bill

Glad you're enjoying. Let me know if it wears off...[:D]

No, you won't get any fawning from audiophiles as these things just don't look or feel the part. All they do is deliver accurate, clean, uncolored source material. They are neither as clinical and in your face as SS, nor warm and smooth as tubes. Firmly in the center, and no one in the center ever gets elected.

However, that's what a few of us want. I've got my tubes when I have the feeling or a hard core audiophile in the house, but most of the time I listen with the Pany.

Dave

Mallette,

Thanks...I like it so much I might just forget about the remote...seller says dog chewed it up but it works so I might have him send it just to keep mine set up right...I doubt I'll ever listen to the radio through it so... [:D] ...'preciate the education.

Bill

That stinks about the remote. Before I did any listening I went through a system restart and the setup menu to make sure everything was configured correctly. Glad that you're enjoying it so far. A co-worker of mine is getting an XR70 in a couple days from my recommendation also. He wants me to come over to his house and help him set it up when he gets it.

I am sure I still have this futzed up some as the front panel screen shows 44.1kHz(tuner frequency???) but digital is ON and everything looks pretty good...and the sound...nice...

Wuzzzer, Mallette and Quiet Hollow were right...this is very nice so far (and I predict better with some more tweaking)...

VERY clean sound...VERY crisp sound and plenty of bass from those Quartets...and not as much an outlay in cash than on most anything else I have bought today...it does deserve a WOW so...WOW

Bill

Actually the 44.1kHz is the sampling frequency that is being sent from the DVD/CD player. The SA-XR series can handle up to 192kHz through a digital input.

ahhh...what can I do to get more??? (uhhh, duh...it's a CD [8-|] )...I changed to a Cambridge Audio Azur 640cV2...same frequency...

...as for the remote...the seller is being pretty good and offered to send me the chewed remote...claims the top row or two keys are munched but I may need it to get a logitech or similar remote to take its place IF I even need it...it was fun trying to program the receiver...thinking the abbreviations mean one thing and learning they meant another...and trying to page using two buttons...but the sound is very nice...

Thanks...

Bill