My Panasonic SA XR70...Initial Thoughts...

SilverSport

So my co-worker received his XR70 yesterday and also his new center speaker. He said he first hooked up the center speaker and listened to it with his current receiver (Pioneer VSX 1019 AH) to get a feel of how everything sounds. He then hooked up the Panasonic and he said he was very impressed. He said the channel seperation and sounds coming from individual speakers was much more distinct. He watched a couple movies and said the surround sound realism was much better than before. He thanked me for recommending the receiver and said he couldn't believe how great it was for how inexpensive it was.

He hasn't listened to any CDs yet so I told him to report back when he does to let me know what he thinks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning HQ Sound Mode ON or OFF doesn't make any difference on mine. I hear no difference, sounds the same. I remember when this was discussed a few years back and most all said they heard no difference, that feature was later removed. It's nice to have that feature for when you want the display not to be showing.

I dunno if it is better...just that I heard a slight bump in volume...I will say that logically it makes sense but that still doesn't mean it in fact does...to turn off whatever power/electricity is going to those other areas makes sense but if you don't hear any improvement...perhaps it isn't enough if at all...anyway...I'm currently no pun intended, using the HQ switch set to ON...

Bill

Silversport, I don't hear a difference but doesn't mean that there isn't. I haven't gone through each settings and sources, so it's always a possibility that setup a certain way..... you might hear a difference. I don't how I have it setup now so you could prove me wrong! [;)]

I still like having the feature!

I've read many people saying that using the coaxial for all digital on the Panasonic SA-XR models, is more detailed than the RCA connections. I re-listened again last night and the heck if I can hear a difference between the two! Have you tried that yet to see if you hear a difference from RCA to Coaxial? My CD Player has coaxial on it.

between Coax (digital) and the standard RCA (Analog)???...I haven't tried it on this but you can't get digital from the analog connections...I thought the whole reason for this all digital receiver was to keep it all digital...???...

Bill

Many have said to get the best sound from the SA-XR series receivers is to use either optical or coaxial digital.

I found an SA-XR55 for sale that has the Dual Amp feature that doubles the power to your speakers in 2 channel mode. Since I'm running a 2 channel setup I think this would be a nice thing to have....

when priced right, I have noticed these don't stay for sale long...still enjoying mine...I would love to hear from owner's who find the dual amp mode a plus but this has been a fun experiment...I would recommend it for its application (as explained in this and other threads here...running "full" digital and not running analog

Bill

>Many have said to get the best sound from the SA-XR series receivers is to use either optical or coaxial digital.

I've read this many times but I hear no difference from the coaxial vs RCA (analog) on my setup, but I just came across a couple of post on two other forums that were saying the same thing as I, they don't hear a difference. Some say they hear a big difference, ??? , I certainly don't hear a big difference, if there is a difference at all, it's too small for my ears to pickup on. Then again, we all have different hearing, although I'm known to have very good hearing overall from my hearing test.

sure but the DIGITAL sound can only be had through the digital connections and the standard RCA analogs only carry analog information...it was my understanding that the only reason this works so well as a budget receiver is to listen to it all digital...no digital processing through the standard RCAs...

Bill

Silversport.

Very nice. What would you say would be a good price, intact with remote?

Also have a question. Is there an S Video out on this unit? What i'm wondering is that with an HDMI input from the source, one could still connect this to a non HD TV?

Dee,

the XR70 has S Video hook ups on the back...I would think under $150 is a nice price for a clean unit with remote and all...check out some of the threads from wuzzzer that has a lot of responses from other owner's...mine is about mid pack generationally as the XR55 is newer and has better connectors in back than the older XR70 or XR24 and XR45...they all seem to go for about the same price...it's just finding one where the owner doesn't think he has gold...

Bill

It's my understanding from every thing I've read, that it's all digital up until the point of sending to RCA, and then it's converted to analog that still keeps to a purity close to it's original form, and why it's difficult to hear a difference. Soundwise, I don't think it's enough to worry either way of which to use, it's all good.

Congrats on the finding, enjoy! Wink

Thanks. It had only been up a couple of hours. Perfect shape w/remote, etc. While I might have gotten it cheaper I am always happy with any purchase that I believe represents true value, and given my experience so far with these 160.00 delivered looked like a no brainer to me.

Dave

My little 25 drives K'horns with a Cornwall center and Frazier Mk IV surrounds to levels no one can tolerate effortlessly. I don't expect a significant sonic improvement from the 70 as I doubt the amps were changed much, but the HDMI for DVD, more opitical connections, and the on screen interface is going to be very nice. I'll try the HQ audio thing as well but don't really expect a revelation.

Dave

Yes, that's still a good deal! I paid $400.00 for mine new. I saw them sell as cheap as $300.00 later on and I would have bought a couple more just to put away for future use had I known Panasonic was going to stop making them, with all the speakers I have, I could have used them in other rooms in the house. Real shame Panasonic stopped making anymore SA-XR models, they felt the percentage sales for the HT market was too low for these and decided not to compete in HT market anymore. One would think as popular as these units got over the internet, that it would have been enough to keep putting out more models!