My Panasonic SA XR70...Initial Thoughts...

SilverSport

Problem was, who was going to buy them? It's just like the 2008-10 Chevy Cobalt SS turbo. People that bought them, neglect them. People that would truly appreciate what a marvel it was beyond its packaging, didn't believe the manufacturer when they were being produced. Likewise, 6-8 years from now, models in good repair will be very desirable. It's purely a matter of the consumer taking the product seriously while it's still available to the market. I didn't find out about the XR series until well after production ceased. It's a great excuse to always keep your ear to the ground when it comes to technology. I took a breather from the Hi-Fi market for just a brief time, and almost missed the boat completely.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember not too long ago someone on here recommended the SA-XR series. At the time I was more than happy with my Marantz SR7001. As I've mentioned before, the Panasonic is the best sounding ampflication device I've ever had my Forte IIs connected to.

My SA-XR55 should be delivered today!

Yep, I'm with all of you on collecting these while the prices are still cheap. I currently have two 25's. One is driving my main music room system and the other is on my secondary system that has Frazier Elevens, the small refrigerator size speakers 1db more efficent that K'horns and good to 20hz. Dangerous to the windows and china to turn it up much past 12 o'clock.

I'll move the music room pany to the master bedroom when the 70 arrives.

I also have Kenwood digital reciever, very similar to the Panys, I purchased cheap on Ebay that sounded great and had network connectivity. A bit crude, but workable music server system. However, about a week after I hooked it up the analog section quit. Rather strange, as the digital inputs still work fine. Anyway, it's packed away at the moment but I might dig it out again for a digital only remote system. It's problematic as I use an FM xmitter I build as a music distribution system. Love it as it sounds awesome and has the benefit of being very simply to operate. However, since the Kenwood analog is out that means the tuner as well.

Anyway, if I see really great deals on any of these in the future I might just buy and put'em away or give them to close friends and family.

Dave

I was using my Panasonic SA-XR on my Klipschorn's last night and my other half sat down and after about 10 minutes, asked why are you listening to that? It sounds like ear stabbers compared to the other amp. [:|] I said, wow...I wouldn't go that far! Other half said, you can't tell me that your ears aren't hurting by now! [:^)]

I was using my Panasonic SA-XR on my Klipschorn's last night and my other half sat down and after about 10 minutes, asked why are you listening to that? It sounds like ear stabbers compared to the other amp.

So what is "the other amp." The PAW is a pretty acute and well trained listener and likes my 25 as well as the ST-70/Super PAS-4i...except for the warm glow of tubes.

No accounting for taste, donchaknow.

Lots of folks used to hearing MP-3s and such really have a hard time when the hear the high end again flat and accurate.

Dave

Was used to hearing them on Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme Amps with the Odyssey Tempest Preamp. I'll have to put the Emotiva XPA-1 monos with Emotiva RSP-2 pre and see how that is noticed next! Calling the Panasonic ear stabbers really gets me! It doesn't sound that way to me! I do like very detailed sound that isn't softened though, I know some like the sound softened a bit but I rather hear more detail at the cost of not being softer. [;)]

Well, certainly no need to edit the title. My 150.00 delivered NM SA-XR 70 is on line. Can't say much difference in the sound. Sounds devine, just like the other one. However, lots more optical and coax inputs, nicer display both on the unit and on screen, and more flexibility.

Anyone know the mystery of the "remote control operations guide?" I can't find hide nor hair of it on line. I suspect that even the the remote says "universal" and there is an "AV" key on it, they never did anything with it. The manual says to see the "guide" for the remote for keys not explained there, but there doesn't seem to be any such guide. Several tantalizing buttons not referenced, but no way to figure out what they do and no references to remote codes.

Nonetheless, certainly well worth the bucks. So I have three Panys now and a total investment of just over 400 bucks. Not the latest connectivity and such, but all the family know the drills with the remotes and the sound is worth far, far more than the outlay. When the kids and the PAW are happy, Dave is happy.

Just might grab another for the pool system... [6]

Dave

so but for the updates in decoding...some options (more optical hook ups) and perhaps power???...you find these mostly sound the same...very interesting...I am still enjoying my XR70...thanks for your feedback and insight everyone...

Bill

Mallette...I agree that the owner's manual isn't exactly user friendly but anything for the remote, I found in the standard owner's manual found online if like me, you didn't get one...there are controls for the XR70 from the remote but that's about it...didja try the HQ Sound Mode button yet???

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR70.PDF

Thanks, wuzzer. Found it. I'd just run "remote control operations manual" with the unit model and not found anything. Located it immediately using the remote model number as you suggested.

Of course, it was as I suspected and not much of use. I may run some codes and see if I get lucky. There are only 99 of them.

As to "HQ" mode, I haven't listened hard enough to really judge but am dubious. I presume the designers saw some change in their measurements to justify it, but that doesn't mean it's audible.

Sounds mighty fine in general. I haven't studied up on the "remastering" function but on the surface just appears to be something one can live without. I am always skeptical of anything getting better with more processing.

I am certainly enjoying the larger and brighter display.

Dave

I'm with you...I don't use any of the remastering either...and I only use the HQ as it stealths out the front panel (until you touch anything...then you can see it until it goes stealth again...and the only difference I "heard" was perhaps just a skosh more volume...and I mean hardly any at all...I do have an XR55 inbound to me as I would like to hear if the difference with "Bi-Amping" that model offers...I would really like to thank you all for sharing your experiences with these units as I really like them and think they are real bargains on the secondary market...

Bill

Well, SS, at these prices and quality might as well collect them all...

70 appears to have bi-amping. Is there something different with that offered on the 55?

Though speaking of pricing, I saw a 25 with a minimum bid of 300.00. Rather doubt they'll get it but it may signal the prices heading north in general.

Dave

I thought the 70 only offered bi-wiring...the 55 offers running the other amps all for 2 channel...but I could easily have it wrong...mine have been under $150... Bill

Hard to tell how it's wired. To bi amp, you use "A" and "B" outputs at the same time. Even if it isn't using all the amps it's still more than enough for Heritage.

Dave