Talk to me Khorn owners- do you have bad corners or closed backs?

Cornman

There are two pairs of Khorns for sale on Craigs in Austin now. I have a very dialed in Cornwall system now, but I would love to try K's,,but have bad corners. Would love to hear from people with less then perfect corners or with backs on telling there experience. I don't need lots of extreme bass - I listen to Classic Rock,.Jazz, & vocalist. How much of what do you give up with bad corner's or backs installed, would love to reconfirm what I think some have said before on K's with backs - "they lost next to nothing"?

Cornman

I have a pair of 84 models which do not have the closed in backs. My room is not perfect. I have two corners but the angle is 75 or 80 degrees, not 90. I have them stuck in these corners and had to work really hard to try and seal them best I could. I'm sure they would sound better in a perfect corner. I've had these about 4 weeks now. They are amazing.

I will tell you, when I picked them up, they were sitting in the middle of the floor. They sounded awful. You gotta have corners or false corners without the closed backs. I've never heard a pair with the closed backs, so I don't know about them.

I too had a system dialed in with Cornwalls. I bought them new in 1980. I have listened to these and enjoyed them for many years. I still like the cornwalls, but you will not be sorry you bought Khorns. That is if you can work out you corner issue.

Cornman I have had Cornwalls and I still have Khorns, the khorns are better period. Now for a long time my khorns were not sealed and they sounded pretty good in the perfect corners, now I have the backs sealed and the change is alot better. A little different tone and the bass is every where.

Jay

I have two corners but the angle is 75 or 80 degrees, not 90.

If the corners are narrower than 90 degrees, then this may be better. See the last flare of the Khorn on the right side of this figure from Edgar in this post. Rationale: It there would probably be fewer horn internal reflections due to the more continuous flare rate mouth section formed by the corner of the room. The bass bin horn might also load a little lower, too, with the lower flare rate.

post-28404-13819637724636_thumb.png

Don't let poor corners stop you.

I've used them with or without enclosed backs, enclosed is better and more forgiving.

I'd enclose the backs of any Khorns I owned. The improvement is significant if the corners are less than ideal. I'd still try to seal them in proper corners for the maximum result.

My corners are good and I am still thinking of seling them. I have heard a set up with one KH in the corner and the other just hanging out in space with nothing near it and open back. It still sounded very, very good. No contest Khorns in any configuration over Corns. I'd say get em now and use them, seal up the backs as you have time.

I have perfect corners for my Klipshorn's and the bass is very good. I did use the pipe foam like others were recommending to do to get even a better seal on the backs and that did improve the bass even more.

I've always heard good things about closed back on Klipschorn's. I've never read a disappointed result so far, most who have done it, have reported that they were pleased with the results so I've often thought about trying it myself, even though I do have perfect corners. The closed backs would allow me to use them in another room without perfect corners. I might have to experiment one day but so far I haven't taken it on but it would be interesting to hear with the results would be.

Thanks to all for sharing- I have listened, an followed your advise & my heart. This has been one of my "Bucket List" dreams come true since 1963 >> THE DEAL IS DONE. I am the new proud papa of 1965 KC FR, 2d218 & 19. [:D][ip][<:o)] I will post some pictures tomorrow & proably a few dozen questions.

to all,

Cornman