interconnect recommendations, please

tom518ny

Thanks for the comments~ yes, some of that cable does have 'advanced" features. As I mentioned, I work with communications (building automation) and so have access to a variety of high-quality twisted, shielded, mulitconductor with the drain wire. If I end up building my own, I'll use that.

But if I could find a similar interconnect with RCA's, I'd consider buying it. Doesn't look like that's going to happen tho.

Thanks for the comments~ yes, some of that cable does have 'advanced" features. As I mentioned, I work with communications (building automation) and so have access to a variety of high-quality twisted, shielded, mulitconductor with the drain wire. If I end up building my own, I'll use that.

But if I could find a similar interconnect with RCA's, I'd consider buying it. Doesn't look like that's going to happen tho.

Have these guys custom build what you want, they do great work with quality parts and are very afordable.

http://www.proaudiola.com/

The Jensen Transformers website (you have to dig a little) has good explanations of Unbalanced and Balanced inter connections. Basically the only thing that matters in unbalanced interconnects is the resistance of the shield (because the shield is carrying inter chassis as well as signal return currents) and center conductor to shield capacitance (effecting high frequency rolloff).

babadono

But if I could find a similar interconnect with RCA's, I'd consider buying it.

I'm going to be making some soon with my excess Mogami. I'm buying the nicest RCA solder jack that Neutrik has to offer.

The wire lengths are snippets that were excess in my home installation, around 2' each. I'll have about $36 in the four Neutrik RCA's for a pair of wires.

I'd be more than happy to sell them to you at $1,000 apiece....

[Y]

But if I could find a similar interconnect with RCA's, I'd consider buying it.

I'm going to be making some soon with my excess Mogami. I'm buying the nicest RCA solder jack that Neutrik has to offer.

The wire lengths are snippets that were excess in my home installation, around 2' each. I'll have about $36 in the four Neutrik RCA's for a pair of wires.

I'd be more than happy to sell them to you at $1,000 apiece....

Yes

What a deal! [:P]

Harrumph. IMO, the shield should never carry a signal.

I'm suspecting that if I check, I'll find that the ground lug on my equip is tied to the neg side of the audio. Tell me this isn't so!

Yes I'm sorry to say if you are interfacing from one piece of gear to another and they both have RCA type jacks then yes the shield must be tied to ground.

babadono

You could use a shielded twisted pair, use one of the pair wires for hot, the other for ground and float the shield at the recieving end.

This is where the cool little arrows come into play?

So, if I make some RCA's with the Mogami which has two twisted pair and a sheath.... should I take "blue" to the hot pin and "white" to the ground on both ends. At the same time, should I take the sheath and attach one or both ends to the "white" part?

I was originally going to leave the sheath unconnected at both ends however, being pragmatic, I have yet to cut anything off realizing that my parts aren't in yet and I can always cut it off....so I was leaving them on for the time being.

You could use a shielded twisted pair, use one of the pair wires for hot, the other for ground and float the shield at the recieving end.

This is where the cool little arrows come into play?

So, if I make some RCA's with the Mogami which has two twisted pair and a sheath.... should I take "blue" to the hot pin and "white" to the ground on both ends. At the same time, should I take the sheath and attach one or both ends to the "white" part?

I was originally going to leave the sheath unconnected at both ends however, being pragmatic, I have yet to cut anything off realizing that my parts aren't in yet and I can always cut it off....so I was leaving them on for the time being.

Yes this is why some cables have the little arrows. You should attach the shield to the ground on the source end and leave the shield at the receiving end unconnected.