Went 16:9 after all, Elunevision AudioWeave (2.35:1 Electric screen without anamorphic lens?)

psg

Hi all,

Pulled the trigger on a BenQ W6000 for C$1500, about C$500 less than the Panny 4000; not bad for a projector that sold for C$3200 two years ago. There are pluses and minuses (I hope I am not susceptible to rainbow effect!) but it's a light canon that can be shelf-mounted on the back of the room, with adequate lens shift and enough zoom and light to handle zooming constant height between 2.35:1 119"x50" (129 inch diag) and 16x9 89"x50" (102 inch diag) which would be my largest choice. I may also go 16:9 120" diag AT and live with top and bottom bars (since I won't have auto lens shift). The projector was shipped this morning and I will test out with a king size bed sheet to figure out what size I want.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pulled the trigger on a BenQ W6000 for C$1500, [cut]I will test out with a king size bed sheet to figure out what size I want.

Incredible!!!

Shooting a 118" image on a stretched sheet and it looks amazing! I can't stop grinning! It's huge and I love it!

Trigger pulled. It will be shipped after the long weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the great discussions and advice. I hope I'm not disappointing some of you because I didn't go 2.35:1 format, but I did break the vertical size barrier I had with the center La Scala and got an AT screen, so the screen will be lower and partially hide the La Scala. This allows me to go bigger.

The best advice was to get the projector first and play with the size. Projecting on a king-size bed sheet stretched out on top and bottom ten-foot 2x4's already provides a very impressive looking 120-inch diagonal picture. We decided we didn't want to go smaller, even 9 to 10 feet away from the screen on the first row. We don't mind the top and bottom bars once the movie starts, and if they ever do I'll figure out a masking system [;)].

I'll post pics after I get the screen and get it set up. That will probably be in two weeks or so (maybe I'll be very lucky and get the screen by next weekend; I guess I can do some preliminary work in the meantime).

• Moderators

I hope I'm not disappointing some of you because I didn't go 2.35:1 format,

See if we ever offer our premium advice to you again. LOL. Just kiddin bro. The way I look at it, it's your screen. It has to please you, not any of us. I think we are all happy for you. You are finally putting together your projection system and that's something that most people do not have the opportunity to have so you are blessed. Congrats!

We don't mind the top and bottom bars once the movie starts, and if they ever do I'll figure out a masking system

If it bothers you, I saw a guy that had made his own masking pieces that he hung on brackets he made, might have even been just a hook. Think he made a simple rectangle frame with thin wood and wrapped fabric around it. Worked very well and probably cost him less than $50 total.

I'll post pics after I get the screen and get it set up.

Please do, it's been fun joining you on your journey. Can't wait to see it all come together for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I ended up doing for a projector mount... I had build an in-wall AV rack from 1/2" Baltic birch and had a few extra stained and varnished shelves. I had enough lag bolts in my supply to attach one of the shelves to the ceiling with the correct bold pattern already drilled for the projector. My cheap monoprice TV wall mount came with an huge supply of machine bolts and contained 4 of the correct diameter, threading and length that I needed to bolt the projector down. So no money spent. The shelf will be flush with a dropped ceiling.

post-15702-1381968556382_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Trigger pulled. It will be shipped after the long weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the great discussions and advice. I hope I'm not disappointing some of you because I didn't go 2.35:1 format, but I did break the vertical size barrier I had with the center La Scala and got an AT screen, so the screen will be lower and partially hide the La Scala. This allows me to go bigger.

The best advice was to get the projector first and play with the size. Projecting on a king-size bed sheet stretched out on top and bottom ten-foot 2x4's already provides a very impressive looking 120-inch diagonal picture. We decided we didn't want to go smaller, even 9 to 10 feet away from the screen on the first row. We don't mind the top and bottom bars once the movie starts, and if they ever do I'll figure out a masking system Wink.

I'll post pics after I get the screen and get it set up. That will probably be in two weeks or so (maybe I'll be very lucky and get the screen by next weekend; I guess I can do some preliminary work in the meantime).

Well, that was at the end of the year. The manufacturer/store broke the screen when testing it, so I had to wait for fresh stock. The screen is finally in transit and should be here next week. I will install it temporarily when it gets here. Apart from the waves, projecting 120" on a sheet has already been amazing; like a huge plasma screen. So I image this will be a good step up (better be for $1650!)

The picture quality is amazing to me. Note that I have no experience with screens and used a bed sheet for three months, but this thing is amazing. The picture pops but there are no hot spots. It's hard to take pics with on image on it; My D50 won't autofocus on it easily with the light out. I maganed to shoot this one but the image wasn't paused, so parts are blurry.

dsc_11317r.jpg

• Moderators

Looks great man. As far as camera settings, it's going to be very difficult to get a good shot with low light in your room and an image that is moving, even if you have fast glass. Pausing the image would provide a much clearer image. Colors look great though.