Pioneer Plasma Orphan

Howdy all, I haven't posted around these parts in many months. I have recently relocated to Rhode Island upon finding new employment, and I have just gotten settled in.

Anyway, I am seeking any and all leads in acquiring for myself a new/used Pioneer plasma, 42 or 50 inch. I call myself a Pioneer plasma "orphan" because I never had the opportunity (read: funds) to purchase my most lusted-after display device "back in the day" when they were still being manufactured. I know several of you here own or have owned Kuros and Elites, so I doubt I need to go into why I desire an out-of-production, "old-school" plasma. lol!

Thanks in advance for any tips or leads!

Panasonic and Pioneer began collaborating before Pioneer exited the plasma market last year due to heavy losses.

This has started the rumors that Panasonic would acquire Pioneer’s KURO plasma technology & related patents. According to Pioneer’s Annual Report, Panasonic has officially done so. Panasonic have worked with the technology since May this year.
Pioneer states:

"The Company resolved to transfer its patents for plasma display panels and modules to Panasonic Corporation
at the Board of Directors’ meeting held on April 28, 2009. The two
companies had executed the agreement on May 15, 2009. This constitutes
part of the business restructuring effort in accordance with plans for a full withdrawal from the display business."

The Pioneer Kuro plasma-TVs
has set the standard for picture quality (good black & color
levels) & despite the fact that they are no longer available many
still regard the Pioneer KURO as the best TV on the market.

my understanding is panasonic aquired the technology and fully unleashed it on the upcoming models

anyway take a look at some new panasonics coming out maybe they will outgun the kuros ;)

This has started the rumors that Panasonic would acquire Pioneer’s KURO plasma technology & related patents. According to Pioneer’s Annual Report, Panasonic has officially done so. Panasonic have worked with the technology since May this year.
Pioneer states:

"The Company resolved to transfer its patents for plasma display panels and modules to Panasonic Corporation
at the Board of Directors’ meeting held on April 28, 2009. The two
companies had executed the agreement on May 15, 2009. This constitutes
part of the business restructuring effort in accordance with plans for a full withdrawal from the display business."

I have also heard this. I was hopeful that Panasonic would successfully replicate the second-to-none PQ of the Pioneers of old, but so far I haven't seen anything even close. Perhaps future sets hold promise, but so far most TV manufacturers seem obsessed with 3D rather than picture quality in general.

anyway take a look at some new panasonics coming out maybe they will outgun the kuros ;)

It may be a while before that happens. They now have Pioneer's technology, but not the desire to produce the end all, be all displays like Pioneer did. They'le most likely implement improvements that are cost effective and apply the law of diminishing returns a lot more than Pioneer did.

CECAA, How is that 150FD doing?

It's an incredible display, I'm glad I got it when I did. It's one of those things that you never get tired of looking at.

Does the idea of having an indentured servant interest you in any way?

Smile

I've got 3 kids now, that base is covered.