K69 on 402 or 510 and why?

Coytee

• 4 weeks later...

I would buy 4 510's if available.

Don't think I'm being rude, but..why???  :blink:

I see you guys wanting to buy a pair, sometimes 3, 4 at a time.  What are you doing with them?  What would a person do with 4 large horn's?  Are you DIY'ing, or doing some kind of replacement on existing speakers, something else?

This whole place fascinates me.  B)

Me specifically, I am building a Belle 2-way DIY speaker.  I figured I'd grab an extra encase a liked them well enough to make a center.  Just for clarification the k510 is about 9"x15" is very similar to whats in your c-4.  Take the best (smallish) horn of today k510 and mate it with the venerable belle bass bin and I am hoping for audio perfection.

• Like 1

I see you guys wanting to buy a pair, sometimes 3, 4 at a time.  What are you doing with them?  What would a person do with 4 large horn's?  Are you DIY'ing, or doing some kind of replacement on existing speakers, something else?

They are great for upgrading heritage. Any of the big 4 could be upgraded with the 510. The 2" exit is where its at, Your cf4  as example has I believe a 1" exist. The driver is 2" but the exit is 1 I believe. Someone will be sure to correct me if I'm wrong. But its way smaller is my point :)

Edited by Cinema_head

They are great for upgrading heritage. Any of the big 4 could be upgraded with the 510. The 2" exit is where its at, Your cf4  as example has I believe a 1" exist. The driver is 2" but the exit is 1 I believe. Someone will be sure to correct me if I'm wrong. But its way smaller is my point :)

Thanks for the replies, gents.  I didn't realize the 510 was a drop in upgrade for other models, which makes perfect sense if you were wanting to upgrade to a 2" exit.  I've seen lots of mods for XO's and drivers, not so much for the horns themselves.

And yes, my CF-4 has a screw-on CD with a 1" exit.

It's not that the 510 is a drop it replacement (it isn't).  I call it the 'little horn that could'.

It's a fine sounding horn.  Not as nice as the huge K402 but then, the 402 can't fit inside a LaScala or Bell or Cornwall cabinet.

If you don't mind some challenges of maybe trying an active crossover, it will significantly improve the sound over a stock LaScala, Belle, Cornwall (other?)

The jump to a 2" throat seems to be a significant jump.  Once you hear it, it's difficult to go back to the smaller horns without a bit of kicking & screaming.

Or you can fairly easily modify the motorboards... not a big deal.

I didn't realize that either.  My limited experience with Klipsch is focused on my CF-4, which has a plastic molded motorboard, which can not be easily modified.

+++

The jump to a 2" throat seems to be a significant jump.  Once you hear it, it's difficult to go back to the smaller horns without a bit of kicking & screaming. (Coytee)

Can you elaborate?  I have heard Moray James and others make the same claim, but without hearing it live, it's hard to imagine.  Does the 2" driver have to be playing at insane listening levels to really shine, or does it help equally well with moderate listening levels?  Can the 2" driver in a two-way cover all the way to the top frequencies?

Edited by wvu80

Can you elaborate?  I have heard Moray James and others make the same claim, but without hearing it live, it's hard to imagine.  Does the 2" driver have to be playing at insane listening levels to really shine, or does it help equally well with moderate listening levels?  Can the 2" driver in a two-way cover all the way to the top frequencies?

I beleive it! Edited by Schu

Or you can fairly easily modify the motorboards... not a big deal.

I didn't realize that either.  My limited experience with Klipsch is focused on my CF-4, which has a plastic molded motorboard, which can not be easily modified.

+++

The jump to a 2" throat seems to be a significant jump.  Once you hear it, it's difficult to go back to the smaller horns without a bit of kicking & screaming. (Coytee)

Any volume your going to hear that sound. Its a really big sound and you will know right away. When I say big I don't mean loud. I mean the voice in some movies is 8"ft tall big. Like how a movie theater  the voice is huge (like the size of the screen). Its just like that in your home. Really with no effort whats so ever. When playing music or watching movies the voice is in front like nothing I have ever heard before. With the rc64ii 7s or cornwalls the voice is almost in the same row as the rest of the sound. With these its out in front And huge. Even at low levels your floored how big it sounds. 

When I listen to music the signer is in the room. It sounds so life like and big I love it.