If you had the system I have, and you wanted to upgrade, what would it be?

m00n

So out of my speakers and receiver. If you had the opportunity to take it all or some of it back and get different stuff, (sticking to klipsch) what would it be? The receiver, or upgrade to the RF-7's?

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

Volume is NOT the issue. WE HAVE PLEANTY OF LOUD! Oh and Ray, na! I have soooOOOOOoooo pleanty of base. That RSW-12 is more than enough. It about the only thing I am 100% satisfied with.cwm4.gif

First off, let me state that I still don't have my surrounds yet. If, I had them, perhaps none of this would be valid. Non the less I will try to explain to the best of my abiltiy. Also this topic goes hand in hand with my other post, "Why does it all sound flat"

Ok so here's the deal, I have an aquantace that used be a profesional audio installer. He came over last night to listen. He said my system does NOT sound flat at all. As a matter of fact, he said it sounded brighter than his. But to me, it sounds just ok.

What I want, is when I am listening to J-Park, and the TREX is growling, I want it to sound like he is in my living room about to chomp down on me.

I think I mentioned this in my other post that, in The Matix, the lobby scene, the gun shots sound so monotone or muffled. Instead of having that nice full *POW* sound they have more of a *put* sound.

There are times that I can bairly hear something that you would think you should hear very clearly, perhaps a side affect of not having the surrounds yet. And maybe I should not judge the system until I hear it with the surrounds.

It just doesn't sound clean to me nor does it have that crystal clear vibrancy that I want. Also, it did sound better in the show room, why? I don't know maybe I am expecting too much out of what I purchased. I know this is by far not a high High HIGH end system like some of you probably have, but nor is it a total low end system.

I can tell you one thing for sure, I am very much considering taking back the Harman Kardon. Not because of sound quality, but becuase the remote is a peice of crap. It works about half the time. I am really suprised they delivered a system with such a flakey remote. With that, I ask myself, do I exchange it for a new HK same model? Or do I get a different receiver all together. If I get a different receiver, which brand?

My wife will sh1t a kitten, but if I absolutly had to, I would be willing to sink in an aditional $1000.00. Don't want to do that but I just can't see spening the amount that I spent and not being happy with it.

I really am hoping someone says, Dude, just wait until you get your surrounds in place.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-18-2002 at 12:05 PM

moon, are u sure u know the remote well enough yet to call it flakey? cwm4.gif

take it out to dinner some night (w/o the wife). get to know it. explore. Biggrin.gif

the remote (theatermaster) for my pre/pro has been chastised buy some, but once i got to know it it does about everything i need. bet yours will even do macros.

at least wait the time of the return policy allowance on the hk. & definitely after you get the surrounds & get all the tweaking done (which for me is still ongoing after a year or so though not as often.) cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa12

Ya dude, there is no doubt in my mind the remote is shall we say, SHEETOLA!

1/2 the time it will turn up the volume, half the time it wont. Half the time I can scroll though the screen menus in the setup half the time I cant. And yes, I have made sure that the component I am trying to control IS the receiver, not the DVD or TV or what have ya. Na, dude, it's as I said.... SHEET!

I am not the only one who has had these issues with it. Seen some other guys post in a product reivew site that said the remote was crap also.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

Hi mOOn. boa has given some GOOD advise there.

I few years ago, I had a Yamaha remote that I thought was crap too. I had used the batteries that were supplied with it. Finally decided to try some other NEW batteries. Worked PERFECT after that.

Worth a try................

Take care (Oh ya.. don't worry about your wife looking at you like your a retard, mine does ALL the time. You get used to it! Ha!)

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 04-18-2002 at 01:18 PM

Seems like we need to start exploring the room and the speakers placement within the room for an explanation as to why you are not achieving the sound you expected. Your equipment is certainly satisfactory IMHO. How about some photos?

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Bang & Olufsen Beosound 9000

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

m00n - What kind of equipment was driving the speakers when you listened to them at the audio store? Although the 520 with 85wpc should be fine, there IS a difference if they had them driven by some monstrous amp or something.

Can't remember - speakers set to small?

I think it must be the interconnects -- ya should'uv popped for the $700 ones (KIDDING!)

Doug

------------------

My System

ACK! Show you my living room infested with childrens toys?cwm6.gifcwm1.gif

I can try to get a pic of our our living room.

However, for the sake of arguement, what would you replace? The speakers or the receiver.

I am wondering if the receiver is not strong enough to push the speakers. The RF-3IIs can handle upto 150watts, the harman is pumping out only 75 watts per channel at 5.1. Could that be part of the problem, or is the a suffecient amount of power?

It's just all so strange to me because, there are some sounds that sound great! Again, I refer back to The Matix. There is that one scene where you see bullet shells falling to the floor and you hear the ting ting ting ting ting ting of the shells hitting the gound. Sounds great, but as I said previously, the actual gunshots sound blah.

With everything I have described, I CRY OUT... WHY?cwm45.gif

So, I am lead to belive that one of these would be the most perdominate factor, but which one?

The receiver, not enough power or just the way it was designed to sound

The speakers themselves

The fact that I don't have my surrounds yet.

It has been suggested my living room and speaker placement.

Simply the fact that I have a Champaign appitite with at Maddog 20/20 pocketbook

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

m00n - What kind of equipment was driving the speakers when you listened to them at the audio store? Although the 520 with 85wpc should be fine, there IS a difference if they had them driven by some monstrous amp or something.

Can't remember - speakers set to small?

I think it must be the interconnects -- ya should'uv popped for the $700 ones (KIDDING!)

Doug

It was a comparable Yamaha same price range. I belive it was the RX-V1200

Have tried speakers both large and small.

And Craig, ya, I have made sure that I pressed the AVR button to gain control of the receiver after controlling the DVD player. I may be audio challenged, but not that bad. cwm27.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

moon, i think C-E is where you want to concentrate. especially w/ all speaks set small, the hk is more than enough power imo. hk have high power (current) amps.

get the surrounds & adjust your expectations to reality. Smile.gif also maybe you need some better material disks. the matrix is a classic for sound, especially when u get those surrounds set-up. but other disks can really vary on their sound quality & mix work.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

IMHO, none of the other suggestions, assuming you have your receiver set up correctly, could compensate for a poor room (acoustically) or poor speaker placement.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Bang & Olufsen Beosound 9000

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Ok so boa12 (or anyone for that matter), you agree that part of my problem is most likely champiagn taste. If you had $1000.00 and could take your stuff back before it was too late, what would you do with it?

Three thoughts come to my mind.

Split it in half, upgrade my receiver, and upgrade to RF-5's

Just upgrade the receiver to something with more power per channel and quality.

Just upgrade to the RF-7's (but is 75 watts per channel enought to push these?)

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-18-2002 at 02:37 PM

that's a tough ? moon. hard to say. again, i'd let everything you got or are waiting for to come together and let your ears get used to it.

may need some $ for room treatments. i agree w/ kevin that room & placements is the most important of your above concerns, & probably what you need to work on along w/ the settings.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Ya, your most likely right there boa. I need to hear it with everything before I go and jump to some $1000.00 exta conclusion. The surrounds may be the missing answer to my lack of full enjoyment.

More than ANYTHING I need to get a good surge protector/conditioner. Right now I have a standard $10.00 local hardware special. I can just friggen see the bolistic temper tantrum I would throw if I lost my system because I was too stupid to get good protection.

Also, I will try and get some pics of my living room posted. I will admit, I have a jacked-up living room. There really is no good solution.

I still want my question answered though. cwm1.gif

------------------

Internet Software Engineer: Will code for HT upgrades.

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-18-2002 at 04:16 PM

testing my sig. Nothing to see here... Move along. cwm12.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-18-2002 at 04:23 PM

What flew over there? My response? If so, ya, I have 3 PC's here in my cube at work. One for code writing, one for testing and surfing, the other just sits and consumes electricity. Also, I have been keeping a close eye on these two topics the last two days. Ya, gotta understand, when you baby seems sick, you worry. I have been looking for the cure. cwm27.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>f>