RF 52s and New Reciver

Hey everyone. I currently have the RF 52s and a RP-10 d Sub hooked up 2 a 5.1 receiver (Yamaha HRT CRAP), and i am thinking I will buy the Yamaha RXV667 for $499.99 from the local store. Now my question is, Can I biamp my 52s with this amp? The Klipsch site says 100 watt RMS, and 400 Watt Peak. And the Yamaha Amp is 90 Watts a Channel. So that would be 90w X 2 = 180 Watt. Would that mess up my speakers? Thanks.

Hey everyone. I currently have the RF 52s and a RP-10 d Sub hooked up 2 a 5.1 receiver (Yamaha HRT CRAP), and i am thinking I will buy the Yamaha RXV667 for $499.99 from the local store. Now my question is, Can I biamp my 52s with this amp? The Klipsch site says 100 watt RMS, and 400 Watt Peak. And the Yamaha Amp is 90 Watts a Channel. So that would be 90w X 2 = 180 Watt. Would that mess up my speakers? Thanks.

Definitely buy the Yamaha RX-V667,its a great receiver and quite different from the Yamaha HTR you own. For one thing the RX-V667 will work well either way ,it has a nice discrete, high current amp section. Also it is able to do bi-amping and by doing so , it will deliver more CLEAN power to your speakers. CLEAN power is not what blows speakers. Speakers are usually blown due to distortion and/or overexcursion.Distortion happens when an amp is overdriven. Amps are usually overdriven because they are not properly matched to the speakers they drive (usually underpowering). Overexcursion happens when a speaker is given frequencies which it is not properly tuned for ,which causes the woofers to move too far in and out, which causes the voice coil to slap against the back of the magnet when recoiling as well as hop out of the magnetic gap when pushed past its limit of excursion , and go back in crookedly. This causes extreme heating and therefore deformationof the voice coil,which is heard as crackling.

In short , you can't have too much power as long as its good CLEAN power and its used properly. Buy the RX-V667 with confidence and enjoy.Remember to remove the couplers on your RF-52s before setting the RX-V667 into bi-amp mode !

Hello Again,

The "125 watts rms" rating is the continuous rating, in essence what the speaker can take all day, all night provided that the amplifier is capable of delivering that without distortion. The "400 watts peak" rating is what the speaker will take for a moment without damage.Most good quality high current power amps are capable of producing more power than their rms ratings,but the peak rating is momentary and usually involves a higher degree of distortion, how much depends on how well the amp is made and how accurately it is rated.

If you bi-amp you stand a pretty good chance of getting more clean power to the speaker, do not worry about having a little more power, it actually is better to have more than less so as to keep distortion down ,in turn this helps with overall dynamics and clarity,which also helps with " imaging ".

thanks for your help man. But what does the 400 watt peak, and 125 RMS mean? my dad is wondering..