CORNSCALA

Your project seems to be flying, cabs look great and I like the lowboy look of the base cabs.

Hey, a wood worker can never have enough clamps. Good luck on the build!

I am doing a "Cornzilla", (ok there are 4) at the moment and ran out of clamps yesterday. Just gluing up the first of them and I hope to put a topic together if the freeby camera arrives soon. Yesterday things were getting out of hand, I had all of the clamps I own out. There are 8 - "3 foot" bar clamps, 4 - "2 foot" bar clamps, 4 - "4 inch" C clamps, 1 - "6 inch" C clamp, 4 - "2 inch" spring clamps, 4 – "4 inch" spring clamps and a couple miscellaneous ones. Most were in use yesterday and I was wishing I had some more.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your project seems to be flying, cabs look great and I like the lowboy look of the base cabs.

I am doing a "Cornzilla", (ok there are 4) at the moment and ran out of clamps yesterday. Just gluing up the first of them and I hope to put a topic together if the freeby camera arrives soon. Yesterday things were getting out of hand, I had all of the clamps I own out. There are 8 - "3 foot" bar clamps, 4 - "2 foot" bar clamps, 4 - "4 inch" C clamps, 1 - "6 inch" C clamp, 4 - "2 inch" spring clamps, 4 – "4 inch" spring clamps and a couple miscellaneous ones. Most were in use yesterday and I was wishing I had some more.

Yes, during my last hard wood project I had all 16 of my bar clamps, 6 pipe clamps, and 4 quick grip clamps going at the same time. And could have used more. Here is the book shelf completed.

post-33301-13819638414966_thumb.jpg

Yes, during my last hard wood project I had all 16 of my bar clamps, 6 pipe clamps, and 4 quick grip clamps going at the same time. And could have used more. Here is the book shelf completed.

One upper cab glued together.

starting on the next cab.

wish it wOOd stop raining i need some sun[li]

post-47079-1381963843818_thumb.jpg

One upper cab glued together.

starting on the next cab.

wish it wOOd stop raining i need some sunLightning

pic

post-47079-13819638448624_thumb.jpg

Wow Cronwall70, You are making much faster progress than I did! It's looking great.

Yea, your area is getting a lot of rain! Need some sun and dry air to cure and dry that glue up from the damp air your getting!

You are going to be happy and proud of your new build! Looking forward to seeing the final results!

Gary Anderson, Try and get some pictures while you are building so you can share with us! Curious to see what your build looks like now!!

I have the front, top, bottom and one side assembled so far for the first one. Tomorrow the other side gets installed. The plan is very close to what I have drawn out at the following topic.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/146289.aspx

JimE did the original drawings and I just hacked them for my needs, more of Jim’s work is at the following topic

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/50919.aspx?PageIndex=1

I added the Decorator as I couldn't find a good drawing.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/50919.aspx?PageIndex=5

Due to some oops on my part the bin has the woofer opening 3/4 inch lower than what I had drawn. When I went to assemble the sides the bottom looked better than the top so My plan is to Flip the first 2 upside down (port on top). There is enough material cut to build 4 Cornzilla's I figured I would mess up at least one (so far I am right on target) during the build and so the second one will be assembled a bit differently. I guess the first was to be considered a prototype. I liked the look of the Decorator but it seemed to have a few issues, one was the back was a bit thin so I went with a double 12mm back, The second was the lack of bracing for the front baffle so that was reinforced along with back. The project started because I picked up 2 sheets of 4 x 10 Mahogany plywood as well as 3 sheets of Ash plywood for $40. All of it was rejected from a cabinet shop in R.I. The Ash plywood was used to enclose the back of a pair of $500 Klipschorns and make them into TSCM clones. I also found another 2/3 of a sheet of mahogany so I had enough to build 3 Cornwall clones. After researching the build for 3 or so weeks I made some cuts and started on the 17th of Feb. I work slow and not in a big hurry to finish as its still cold out. I had 5 sheets of 12 mm Baltic birch left over from my La Scala clone build last summer so I laminated those for backs and bracing, this made it possible to build a 4th cab out of the stock on hand. Materials for the cabs are at around $165 at the moment. I had to invest in a circle cutting jig and a couple of router bits for another $120 so the initial investment is on the low side. I don't have the money for the components so I will borough the Crites woofers out of my CWL and use some other parts for the HF for testing until the money comes around.

Drawing looks nice! Sounds like you've been very busy with various builds! You must be really good with skills with the know how and gaining experience! Would be nice if it was as easy for myself! And to have the time to do it! I'm having my boxes built for me, it was too much work and took me too long to do them with the little time I had to work on the previous build I built. Plus I don't have all the proper tools that makes things easier like some! [:(]

Looking forward to seeing what they will look like. [:D]

this is my first time working edgebanding i guess the hard part begines

Drawing looks nice! Sounds like you've been very busy with various builds! You must be really good with skills with the know how and gaining experience! Would be nice if it was as easy for myself! And to have the time to do it! I'm having my boxes built for me, it was too much work and took me too long to do them with the little time I had to work on the previous build I built. Plus I don't have all the proper tools that makes things easier like some! Sad

Looking forward to seeing what they will look like. Big Smile

post-47079-13819638510272_thumb.jpg