Looking for SS amp for chorus1's

Icanthearu

I'm looking for a SS amp that would work well with my Chorus1's [front ported] At this time I'm running a C26 McIntoch preamp and Adcom amp GFA-555II. I'm looking for a amp that would match better with my speakers and want to replace the Adcom amp and if so the McIntoch pre amp. Any suggestions are welcome. I would like at least 100wpc or more.

My budget on a amp is $500-$700 and $400 preamp.

Your Adcom is a serious amp to begin with.The Adcom should not have any difficulty driving your Chorus speakers. I would be more inclined to suggest trying a new source. If you are interested in looking to the amp for improvement you budget would be better spent in my opinion on upgrading what you have. One of the best American modifiers out there is John Hillig of Musical Concepts near St Louis. John has much to offer and has done a lot of great work with Adcom amplifiers. Chek him out. I think this would buy you far more than looking for used or starting new with the budget that you have to work with. Hope this is of interest, best regards Moray James.

http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_AdcomAmp_mods.html

I'm looking for a SS amp that would work well with my Chorus1's [front ported] At this time I'm running a C26 McIntoch preamp and Adcom amp GFA-555II. I'm looking for a amp that would match better with my speakers and want to replace the Adcom amp and if so the McIntoch pre amp. Any suggestions are welcome. I would like at least 100wpc or more.

My budget on a amp is $500-$700 and $400 preamp.

I have had great success with B&K with my Forte's, Quartet's, Heresy's, and RF-63's. This would be a fantastic combination.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1304098596&/B-K-Reference-5-s2-Preamplifie

with

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1304743257&/B-K-ST125.2-Power-Amplifier

or

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1304098595&/B-K-EX-4420-350-Watts-4ohms-x2

I do think either amp will sound great but the EX4420 will really get that 15 inch woofer going.

Bill

What model B&K woud you suggest?

Did you open the links in my last reply?

With the B&K's, bright is not what you will get. I would put their sound in the neutral/warm range.

B&K Reference 5 S2 preamp

dsc02926f.jpg

B&K Reference 5 S2 with B&K EX4420(200w/ch) amp

1298915294.jpg

B&K ST125.2(140w/ch) amp

1299559046.jpg

Bill

Another chance for me to point out how happy i am with Emotiva amplifiers!

2x Upa-1 monoblocks and their Preamp should fit into your price range nicely.

They also offer 30 day return policy in case it does not do it for you.

By the way, did you try any other amp than yours to make sure it's not your room

making sound bounce all over? Preamp also has huge impact on sound although

i don't recall people complaining about bright Macs

I have the smaller version of the m506- 508 with matching preamp. I would have to say these are not warm by any stretch. I almost purchased an additional m504 the other day and speaking with the owner he and I concluded that these amp preamp combo's are dry and fairly bright and a little clinical. If you did go with one of these types of amps, I would look for a tube pre-amp.

Technics SE-A5 vintage. Sounds clean, articulate, and full bodied from 0.001watt up. Beautiful looks. Affordable high-end. 120W/8ohms; 40lb, some of the biggest vu-meters in power amp history :)

I use mine on a pair of LaScalas and it's a delight to listen to. Who said SS gear sounds sterile, dry and harsh? certainly not me.

Needs a GOOD preamp, tho. I heard mine connected to the pre-amp section of a NAD C320bee and it sounded very bad, thin and harsh. Your McIntosh preamp should be fine.

post-45946-13819638209308_thumb.jpg

Technics SE-A5

That's a sweet looking amp. The meters might be over the top for some but and I like it. [Y]

Now back to Icanthearu's topic. I know you asked for 100 watts per channel minimum and a stand alone amp, but have you considered (integrated) vintage Harman Kardon, Marantz, or Sansui? These are well within your desired price range. I'm using an HK 730 with Chorus IIs and it gives a very warm sound. They're a great match to my ears.

his

is on the high side for vintage ss receiver that has not been

refurbished, the largest model, the 930 sold for $150 on eBay before the

depression, yet the sound of this receivers is as good as some of the

best $2K receivers I have heard on big ole horns! Not tube like, of

course, but still smooth and accurate without the SS harshness...

http://stereolist.com/stereolisting/twin-powered-stereo-receiver/

very good with big ole horns! search the Forum, you will see how much people love this for the money (offer $50) or see eBay...

Out of curiosity, has the Adcom 555ii ever had the appropriate caps on it re-freshed due to age?.

It is an older amp at this point. Personally. I think that amp can reproduce bass exceptionally well (if it is brought up to date). In that price range, it would be hard to beat, but I have also never understood that "warm sound" thing.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I like the Carver M-1.5t. Bob Carver is one of those who will get arguments started. I also have a Carver AV-405 (5 channel) that I am happy with running the center and surround channels. The M-1.5t sounds great on my Chorus IIs and La Scalas. I was surprised because I did not care for the Phase Linear 400 that my friend loves (a Bob Carver design). It is all about the listener for sure though.

I have also never understood that "warm sound" thing.

I understood it after A/Bing to other receivers. So far I've only had the chance to compare a vintage Kenwood KA-5002 and Sansui 9090DB, but my HK 430 and 730 have a softer, more laid back treble (with all dials at zero). I like it. [Y]