KSM2 Please advise!

buckskin

Help please? Not long ago my church choir director gave me a set of KSM2's. He said another driver ? had blown, and he did not want to deal with it so he replaced them. I got them home, removed the (metal) grill covers, and noticed the 15" woofers looked different. (voice coils are different sizes.) I removed the woofers from both cabinets. The first cabinet had what looks to be the original, factory woofer. Stamped on it is K-43-SK with a voice coil 5 and one half inches in diameter . Second cabinet a Carvin woofer. The Carvin (naturally) needs to be replaced with the correct Klipsch K-43. Since I live in Arkansas, I called Klipsch for a replacement. "Parts" told me they could not find a K-43-SK listed, however a K-43 is now a K-43-EP ,part number 121535. Cost $214.00 plus shipping. I ordered it. The woofer I received has part number "121535" on it .BUT ( Problem number one) The voice coil is 5'' in width. (Problem number two) The new one doesn't work!!!! Besides calling Klipsch tomorrow and getting a RA number so I can return a defective woofer, what do I do next? Last thing, I do not have PayPal. Thanks for any help.

A 43 is pretty much a 43, forget all those letters.

I suspect you have the later KSM2, which has a rabbeted recess 1/2 motor board thickness. The original woofer would have been stamped steel frame, when you receive any cast frame woofer (although the specs might say it electrically and acoustically works in that enclosure), it won't fit the recess- right?

You need to search for an older stamped steel frame woofer, trying to rework the wood is next to impossible.

I'd bet if you look in this section you'll find a thread where I've shown photos and everything.

Michael

Hi Buckskin;

I believe I have original K-43-Es in stock if not I do have original stamped K-43-E frames ready for recone which I can do. You said that the speaker had a K-43-SK. That is a cast frame speaker that Klipsch manufactured, does the other KSM have the routing for the cast or stamped frame? Either way I can help you. Mr. Coulter is correct, forget all thoes numbers any K-43 will sound correct in that speaker.

I have 16 KSM MK II I use for my sound Co. I have been repairing Klipsch gear for 25 years. I also have been reconing speakers and repairing horns for 27 years.

drop me a line at my home e mail at jophise@comcast.net if I can help you.

Good Luck Joey B KP600

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread - but how did you do on the K43 issue - just to advise you that I have 3 sets of the correct K43 - also if you are parting with the KSM speakers - I would be intersted in these as well - either way wins -tx