RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Lol we got the same problem Scrappy lol. you got one heck of a system too. We both are Kuro lovers it seems. Look forward to the day of seeing your JTR set up. would love to hear one. I have been looking at them the past few days online. Serious looking speakers for sure. I am debating on selling my 15 Cinnamon HDMI. I have it sitting on the floor since I dont need it anymore with the new Monoprice Redmere cables that arrived last week. Man those things are THICK. Its a great looking well-built cable for sure but not really sure if it is necessary to hold on to anymore. May just wrap it up with some speaker ties and hold on to it for the downstairs system. The fiancé wants custom drapes downstairs in the living room where the TV is so my bargaining tool was while she was excited looking at material I mentioned that after the wedding Id like to put a pair of Cherry RF-7iis in the corner she said ok and went back to talking about the fabric. Is it safe to buy them after the wedding and say honey you said it was ok or should I get it in writing for the day those big boxes come???

Actually believe it or not I had a JTR guy over for a demo and he thought the center was the only weak link. He loved my rf-63's. he said I should

Keep looking for a third one to run as a center. So until I move to my new house and only if my room is huge there and what I have won't reach reference levels at the LP, I'm just gonna try and be happy and stick with what I have. It's hard to do it seems like but i sure do love what I have. We had a really long talk about it never ending. Even after JTR there will always be something out there that's better but let's face it doubt there are many billionaires on this forum so spending the same on a home theater as the house you live in would be kind of stupid.

Lol we got the same problem Scrappy lol. you got one heck of a system too. We both are Kuro lovers it seems. Look forward to the day of seeing your JTR set up. would love to hear one. I have been looking at them the past few days online. Serious looking speakers for sure. I am debating on selling my 15’ Cinnamon HDMI. I have it sitting on the floor since I don’t need it anymore with the new Monoprice Redmere cables that arrived last week. Man those things are THICK. It’s a great looking well-built cable for sure but not really sure if it is necessary to hold on to anymore. May just wrap it up with some speaker ties and hold on to it for the downstairs system. The fiancé wants custom drapes downstairs in the living room where the TV is so my bargaining tool was while she was excited looking at material I mentioned that after the wedding I’d like to put a pair of Cherry RF-7iis in the corner she said ok and went back to talking about the fabric…. Is it safe to buy them after the wedding and say “honey you said it was ok” or should I get it in writing for the day those big boxes come???

LMAO

Hey guys, new kid on the block here. I have Klipsch in ceiling speakers in my family room and Klipsch patio speakers but finally had an opportunity to start working on my media room. At this point I have set up my RF7ii's and a pair of SW-12 subs. Im loving life at this point but still going through the endless(but fun) game of trial and error on setting up all the characteristics of the speakers and the room to sound the best. In the process I have read this thread front to back in hopes that I don't sound like an idiot for my first post.

My Home Theater(listening room) is not huge. Roughly 18x12. I have my towers angled slightly in on each side of the room and sit about 9' horn to horn. My listening position is right about 12' from each speaker. Im currently running them off a Elite SC-63(165watts per ch) in stereo with no other speakers hooked up. Currently have them crossed at 50hz and Im letting the 12's pick up the low end.

Here is my question for the pro's here. For the longest time I was having some listener frustration and I couldn't pin point why. I grew up around my father having some pretty good equipment and knew what sound I was looking for but couldn't quite get there. In an act of frustration tonight I turned the subs off and found myself pleasantly surprised. Think maybe I was asking for to much from the subs when the Towers didn't really need much. The gain on the bass frequencies, even though most were much lower then I was listening for was causing some audible confusion for me. Now that this has been corrected I am fairly happy sittiing with the subs just barely present and then gain on each is at about 9 o'clock. That being said I still feel like Im getting a bit to much mid bass? its almost overwhelming on certain tracks, especially those with a lot of acoustic guitar. James' Taylors low e string will just about drive me deaf. What could be causing that? I currently have the towers angled in and about 6-8" from the rear wall. Could they be to close and causing the mid base to sound punchy? Has anyone else had this issue?

Austin

Thanks for posting and welcome austin. Subs can have some strange affects on normal music. Most of the music from what i understand really stays above the 40hz range but there are parts that dip lower. When using subs those parts that dip low can sound almost like a wave of bass that goes though the room. Not sure if thats what your experiencing but i hear that when i put music on in the ht (which is rare).

Hey guys, new kid on the block here. I have Klipsch in ceiling speakers in my family room and Klipsch patio speakers but finally had an opportunity to start working on my media room. At this point I have set up my RF7ii's and a pair of SW-12 subs. Im loving life at this point but still going through the endless(but fun) game of trial and error on setting up all the characteristics of the speakers and the room to sound the best. In the process I have read this thread front to back in hopes that I don't sound like an idiot for my first post.

My Home Theater(listening room) is not huge. Roughly 18x12. I have my towers angled slightly in on each side of the room and sit about 9' horn to horn. My listening position is right about 12' from each speaker. Im currently running them off a Elite SC-63(165watts per ch) in stereo with no other speakers hooked up. Currently have them crossed at 50hz and Im letting the 12's pick up the low end.

Here is my question for the pro's here. For the longest time I was having some listener frustration and I couldn't pin point why. I grew up around my father having some pretty good equipment and knew what sound I was looking for but couldn't quite get there. In an act of frustration tonight I turned the subs off and found myself pleasantly surprised. Think maybe I was asking for to much from the subs when the Towers didn't really need much. The gain on the bass frequencies, even though most were much lower then I was listening for was causing some audible confusion for me. Now that this has been corrected I am fairly happy sittiing with the subs just barely present and then gain on each is at about 9 o'clock. That being said I still feel like Im getting a bit to much mid bass? its almost overwhelming on certain tracks, especially those with a lot of acoustic guitar. James' Taylors low e string will just about drive me deaf. What could be causing that? I currently have the towers angled in and about 6-8" from the rear wall. Could they be to close and causing the mid base to sound punchy? Has anyone else had this issue?

Austin

Welcome to the forum. That was a good first post. What listening mode are you using on your receiver? Is it just in stereo? I'm not familiar with that Pioneer. Is there some sort of direct mode with a tone bypass that doesn't go through all the processing circuitry? Also what are you using as a source for your music?

That being said I still feel like Im getting a bit to much mid bass? its almost overwhelming on certain tracks, especially those with a lot of acoustic guitar. James' Taylors low e string will just about drive me deaf.

Welcome to the forum. I suspect a boost near the xo where the subs and 7's are both producing bass. DId MCACC set the xo that low? I would move the xo up to 80 Hz and run MCACC with speakers set to small. This may give you a better blend between the 7's and the subs. You may also try moving the speaker 2-4 in.and see if that helps, but it sounds like a bass boost from the sub and mains. You have 2 12in subs, they will better reproduce the bass than the 7's from 80 Hz down.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Im just listening in stereo mode currently. I ran the MCACC setup and I didn't like the flavors it added so I bypassed it for music.

MCACC set the xo at 80 as I think most due for THX.

I tried the sounds at crossed at 80 originally but felt like the music sounded fuller by letting the 7's run a larger range so I switched to 50.

Tonight I think I may experiment with setting the mains to large and set the sub line to plus(sends bass signals to both mains and subs) and then I'll set the manual xo on the back of the sub to 40hz. That should allow me to get a little low end bump where the 7's roll off but still give them room to run the full signal. If that doesn't work I will try derrickdj1's advice and kick it back up to 80 and play with the positioning some more.

On a side note, its pretty appearnt to me that the music listening frustration I was running into was the cones flapping from the subs. Not necessairly all aduible bass(im guessing)but it was frustrating my ears from all the waves hitting me in my enclosed listening room.

In general the Plus setting should not be used. The sub xo should be disabled, turned all the way up or cut off. One thing I do is after running Full MCACC, then Auto MCACC is to run Manual MCACC-EQ Pro-Advanced EQ Setup with a time position of 30-50 ms. This will change the way MCACC handels the bass reverb. The normal time position is 80-160 ms. The difference is that the bass is less in the 30-50 ms compared to the 80-160 ms position and the trebble is just the opposite in most rooms. The whole ideal with Bass Management is not to have multiple sources of bass and major standing waves. This will clean up the sound. There is no way to have all the bass resonance for Large speakers and subs to all arrive at the primary listening position at the same time. Leading to muddy, boomy bass at certain frequency. It is not unusal for the bass response in the bandwidth under 200 Hz to differ by 20-30 db in a HT setup with no EQ or room mods.The object of selecting a xo is not to have the mains playing bass or the sub, it is to blend the mains with the subs at the xo region for smooth integration.

I forgot to mention the sub position in the room may also be part of the reason for the mid bass problem. Try placing them in opposite corners in the front and rear of the room if possible. Also it seems counter intuitive but facing the driver toward the wall will weed out some of the secondary harmonics above the subwoofers passband. From a design standpoint the down firing and rear firing subs are the easiset to setup and integrate. Getting the bass right in the room takes time and experimentation! Understanding all the MCACC tweaks may take even more time, lol.[;)]

I forgot to mention the sub position in the room may also be part of the reason for the mid bass problem. Try placing them in opposite corners in the front and rear of the room if possible. Also it seems counter intuitive but facing the driver toward the wall will weed out some of the secondary harmonics above the subwoofers passband. From a design standpoint the down firing and rear firing subs are the easiset to setup and integrate. Getting the bass right in the room takes time and experimentation! Understanding all the MCACC tweaks may take even more time, lol.Wink

I switch the xo back to 80 and heard a slight diff. The sub may be just a slightly less muddled in the middle. After that I went ahead and moved the speakers out from the wall another 6"-8". Night and day. The mid bass was so much cleaner instantly. I am guessing it was getting muddied up by the reverberation from being to close to the wall/corners. I think you hit the nail on the head when you started referring to the reverb in the room. I need to start playing with acoustics of the room now and the settings in MCACC. If it wasn't for carpet the room would be all hard surfaces.

Derrick, do you use the MCACC settings even for just listening in 2ch?

Yes, I always use MCACC. My 5th and 6th presets are untoched and 2 channel sound great with them. But, it is mainly a volume difference since everything is a 0 and the RF 7's and other speakers are all in the negative numbers on the sound level. Some people like to use pure/direct or no EQ, but I feel the sound is more balanced using MCACC.

The reason I ask about the xo, is that MCACC usually does not favor a low xo. I like the option of a higher xo and letting the subs do what they do best, reproduce the bass for the system. MCACC sets my xo to 100 Hz. This is not related to the speakers, but has something to do with standing wave interaction in the room. So, 80 or 100 Hz is fine for me. Even with the xo at 100, the subs can't be localized.

There are some advantages of a higher xo, less cone movemet- lower distortion, more detailed lower mid bass. Using the subs converts the 2 way speaker system closer to a 3 way system. I am in the minority on this option, but it sounds good to me, lol. Also, the Pioneer used 3 filter for the sub/s that adjust for the freqency, bandwidth and attenuation for a great blend with the mains. My PA 150 and Epik subs play well up to 170 Hz.

Yes, I always use MCACC. My 5th and 6th presets are untoched and 2 channel sound great with them. But, it is mainly a volume difference since everything is a 0 and the RF 7's and other speakers are all in the negative numbers on the sound level. Some people like to use pure/direct or no EQ, but I feel the sound is more balanced using MCACC.

I haven't had an opportunity to play with the MCACC settings yet, however what your stating makes sense. Would it make sense for me to use the MCACC with exception to the channel levels for the mains? In other words I would leave all settings as set by the calibration but change the gain settings on the speakers back to 0??? Im just thinking that would allow me to utilize the benefits of the acoustics but bypass all the settings that would be intended for a THX set up or a home theater set up?

Just go to the preset 4-6 and the levels are all at 0. If you did not run your speakers or sub as THX, then the THX controllers are not engaged. I am not an audiophile and setup things for what I like.[:P] It takes months to figure out want you do and do not like, which is the fun part and it is nice to have options. Using the THX modes shift more sound to the center. THX DDPLIIZ dose sound good with some types of music. I use DDPLIIZ and stereo for music. The difference is the sound is over there vs right here! PLIIZ is great for jazz vocals.