RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

derrickdj1, on your gen 1 rf-7's did you replace the xo's with the deanG mod, or are they stock? If they are stock have they ever exhibited the harshness some have observed?

As far as I know they are the original xo. The only time I found them harsh was when my wife took up some rugs, removed drapes and rearanged our family room. They were real harsh when I bypasse MCACC. The real problem then was reverb. We have a lot of windows and hardwood floors. I replaced some rugs and smaller/lighter drapes with plus furniture and the sound is great. No harshness or reberb problems. I brought the 7 in perfect condition from a guy in Michigan. I never thought to ask if the xo were replaced. I never thought of opening them up. I ask Dean about the xo and he said if you like the sound, no need to replace them.

I think the preamp in the SC 35 does a lot to EQ everything. Even when I was running Icon V speakers with the RF 7, and the RC 64, I never experienced timber problems. I remeber when I first got the 7's and did not hear a major tonal difference from the Icons. The sound was a blend of the two different speakers for the system. The SC 35 is the only piece in my system that I have never second guessed on upgrading or could I do better.

Our family room is an open concept design so I have a large space to fill. Somehow I think that helps with some typical room problems. The wife will not go for room TX panel and things on the ceiling, lol. I have spent a lot of time in custom shops listening to different high end speakers, amp, ect. and I am a happy camper with this setup. I have been slow to replace the Icon VF 35 rear speakers with reference speakers because I will most likely not hear a difference.

I feel the harshness is related to the tweeter playing 3-5 db louder than the woofer. It is a setup problem related to EQ and room correction.The RF7II's are a great speaker and has a lower xo. This afford the speaker to produce less frequencies and less distortion. This is why I like letting my subs have some real work, to reduce the demad on the woofers to produce as many frequencies. The subs do the LF which is a big demad on the woofers.

I know this is in the Home Theater section, and have no doubt that they would perform great in said environment, but I am also interested in how they do with music-only; are there any owners that have heard the Heritage and/or Classic Klipsch speakers that have a comparison of how the RF-7 II reproduces 2-channel music? I have owned Fortes for years, and have also been enticed by the fully horn-loaded sound of the mighty K-Horn, and just wonder if the RF-7 would compete with the great in-your-face, you-are-there sound I have heard from the older Klipsch models...

derrickdj1, on your gen 1 rf-7's did you replace the xo's with the deanG mod, or are they stock? If they are stock have they ever exhibited the harshness some have observed?

Fwiw, I have only experienced harshness on my original RF-7s when playing an overly bright recording..That said, I almost exclusively listen to multichannel music and when I hear folks claim how much of an improvement Deans Crossovers make I am puzzled--He and another guy claimed on AVS forum that the RB-61 has a better mid-range than the original RF-7s and I can't believe that to be true. {Note: in fairness to the OP, he thought his speakers had deteriorated over the 12 years he'd owned them--Again, mine sound crystal clear with sublime sound after 12 years.}

....comparison of how the RF-7 II reproduces 2-channel music? I have owned Fortes for years, and have also been enticed by the fully horn-loaded sound of the mighty K-Horn, and just wonder if the RF-7 would compete with the great in-your-face, you-are-there sound I have heard from the older Klipsch models...

I think the larger Heritage would be better for music in a 2 channel situation but remember that the RF-7s were designed to be used in a multi-speaker configuration with 3 channels across the front and a subwoofer. When you couple that with multichannel material then it becomes a different situation.Fwiw, I heard an all Cornwall HT with 2 SVS subs and thought it was comparable to what I have below...That said, the best HT I've ever heard was in Indy at Kiipsch HQ with 3 LaScalas across the front, 2 Belles in the rear and a pair of the THX subs taking up the lower end and it was INCREDIBLE!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd post a picture of my home cinema as it looks currently-

Posted Image

http://s885.photobucket.com/user/BigHairyBloke/media/IMG_0323.jpg.html

http://s885.photobucket.com/user/BigHairyBloke/media/IMG_0320.jpg.html

As you can see, i have 2 sets of RF 7IIs, one set lent to me by a pal of mine along with his 120w valve amp and new Cambridge Audio BD player, as he hasnt got his own place set up yet[H] and the other set are mine allong with the maching centre, sides and rears.

I am using this rare chance to do a/b comparisons bettween the valve amp vs the Onkyo 5009, audyssey vs no processing etc. I must admit that i am currently enjoying myself in there listening to music much more than watching movies[:D]

Steve

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good evening all,

I seem to find RF 82 everywhere on craigslist lately, in a lot of cases I could get them cheaper than RS 62ii's. In February I will be putting together a RF 7ii HT , what would be the advantage to using RF 82 as surrounds instead of RS 62's? The RS 62ii must be very capable speakers, because a lot of people here on the forum(Who have much more knowledge than I do)have them on their signature. Would it be better for music to have the RF 82's to use as surrounds? Also while I have some of you reading, if I decide to go with B stock RF-7ii will the RC 64ii Match? does the RC 64 I I come in B grade also? I know I've read in this RF 7ii owner thread towards page 30 and on that sometimes people received "a" stock because they did not have a center that would match their RF-7ii "b" stock.

thanks ahead of time for any comments have a good evening.

In February I will be putting together a RF 7ii HT , what would be the advantage to using RF 82 as surrounds instead of RS 62's?

If multichannel music was your primary thing with this setup, I would say go with the RF-82's for surrounds. For HT, RS-62II's definitely. IMO, having towers as surrounds for HT places them too low for my liking. Most suggestions are for surrounds to be on the side walls at the 6 to 7 foot height slightly behind the ears.

Just my take on it.

Bill

In February I will be putting together a RF 7ii HT , what would be the advantage to using RF 82 as surrounds instead of RS 62's?

If multichannel music was your primary thing with this setup, I would say go with the RF-82's for surrounds. For HT, RS-62ii

Bill

Im about 70/30 movies/music. me but usually when I listen to music I use PLXii music so its mostly 2 channel. sometimes I'll switch it around and play all 7.2 channels or music video setting on receiver utilizing multichannel. But from what I've read just making the upgrade to the RF 7 I I HT will be such an upgrade I'll have a smile on my face continuously anyway :)