RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

Pulled the trigger on 2x RF-7ii, RC-64, and 2x RS-62. All in black! Hopefully they come next week before 4th of July holiday.

Congrat. Do you have already a sub? What receiver/amp are you gonna use to drive them?

Right now I have a Denon 2112ci that I've been very happy with. Eventually going to kick it downstairs for use with our ceiling speakers in the living room and patio. Just need to identify a suitable replacement.

I have a Premier Acoustic PA-120 subwoofer. Seemed to be a good bang for the buck choice when I bought it years ago. Glad I'm finally in a house and able to use it to its full potential. It was NOT suited for apartment use!

Update - Speakers arrived and set up properly! Thanks to Acoustic Sound Design (http://www.acousticsounddesign.com) for getting them to me before the July 4th Holiday. There was a small amount of box damage but this is common with freight shipping. Speakers were in perfect condition.

Edited by rhyx

• 9 months later...

Crossover question.

My first thought is to run the 7ii's set on "small" in the Denon and 60hz. I would think they could do 60 fine and I will have an amp with plenty of power. That will send everything below 60 to the subs for those two channels. I'm guessing 45hz would be too aggressive? Just wondering what you guys are using.

I currently run the 82ii's and 62ii center at 80hz but an audio calibrator had recommended even the 82ii's on 60hz and small. 

Crossover question.

My first thought is to run the 7ii's set on "small" in the Denon and 60hz. I would think they could do 60 fine and I will have an amp with plenty of power. That will send everything below 60 to the subs for those two channels. I'm guessing 45hz would be too aggressive? Just wondering what you guys are using.

I currently run the 82ii's and 62ii center at 80hz but an audio calibrator had recommended even the 82ii's on 60hz and small.

Solely up to you. It's more efficient to let your subs do the heavy hitting, but personally I think they sound better when crossed over low. It can strain the receiver pretty badly though.

• Like 1

Well, the Outlaw 7500 I have coming should run about 240w to each speaker at it's rated distortion. So Im thinking I am in a situation to run the xover lower.

Depends on the material too, even though they sound more accurate, sending them information you could send to your subs may rob you of some chest beating kick drums on a concert blu ray for example. On rock music if the subs don't kick in until down low they're not going to do much.

Makes sense. 

I guess the hard part is seeing such a large tower with dual 10's crossed at 80 hz. Makes you wonder what the 10's are for! Or is the large part of the 7 sound over the other models the larger horn and the 10's just add more cone to cover the sounds the horn isnt?

Edited by gadgtfreek

I guess the hard part is seeing such a large tower with dual 10's crossed at 80 hz. Makes you wonder what the 10's are for! Or is the large part of the 7 sound over the other models the larger horn and the 10's just add more cone to cover the sounds the horn isnt?

On certain frequencies they can be as loud as some subs but its nothing I'd want to do all the time. Even if you did cross them over high though it's not like crossovers act like a brick wall, there are still enough low frequencies that get through that things like gunshots and rock singer's voices still have a good authoritative growl to them which is why I like them. They also don't sound nearly as shrilly as other offerings. Some people have said that the metallic cones on Klipsch woofers can lead to some weird and harsh resonances up high, maybe the 10's are heavy enough that it tames some of this, I don't really know. I just know they're smooth.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Cool deal. I will stay at 80. A lot of that makes sense and explains why everyone enjoys them over the 82. More cone space means more air moved. As the xover rolls off below 80 the dual 10's are going to handle that better than dual 8's.

Can't wait to hear them next weekend.

You can XO at 60 Hz.  No know benefit except placebo effect to run lower.  Congrats on the new speakers.  If you have a good sub, 80, 70, 60 Hz bass note should sound darn close to identical, shouldn't they? lol.

If you run it flat it shouldn't matter much. Running not so flat, it can help keep male voices from being muddied up in the subs, help keep pistol shots from sounding like cannon fire, and make electric/bass guitars sound more realistic and defined. Although, I actually used to run them at full range then at 40 hz. Whether you can tell a huge difference between 60 and 80 is a different story.

I also read there is a theory subs do not always reproduce sounds about 40hz as well as they do sounds below that point. 

I can relate to the gunshots and voices in the sub (even at 80hz) being a bit much. I remember my first speakers that crossed at 100hz, man that was bad with a decent sub. Even with the 82's right now at 80hz, I still feel sometimes you hear things in the sub that are a bit much (voices). May just be the content.

Edited by gadgtfreek