RF-7II Owners Thread

BluBitRates

I also read there is a theory subs do not always reproduce sounds about 40hz as well as they do sounds below that point. 

I am glad that is just a theory. ;) 

40Hz to 60Hz  is where my subs are truly in their element. :D

Bill

Crossover question.

My first thought is to run the 7ii's set on "small" in the Denon and 60hz. I would think they could do 60 fine and I will have an amp with plenty of power. That will send everything below 60 to the subs for those two channels. I'm guessing 45hz would be too aggressive? Just wondering what you guys are using.

I currently run the 82ii's and 62ii center at 80hz but an audio calibrator had recommended even the 82ii's on 60hz and small. 

Sub is optimum, but I find 8 x 10" woofers at front plenty in my set up. Some times it's 12 x 10" that's more than plenty :D

All of them are set to big, where RF-7 II's are set to 40hz and RC-64 II is set to 60hz crossover point. That said, some day I might add a sub or two, but I like tight bass and not fond of blurring vibration to muddy up the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Very good stuff. Do you have a size of the cabinet in mind? Similar to a RC7?

Some people wouldn't agree that this could sound good, but I am going to try for a sealed box that is shorter and narrower than the normal cabinets, then of course make it symmetrical and turn it sideways. There are no published specs for these woofers available, but look at most any woofer in a ported box that is tuned below 35 hz then compare that to the same thing in a smaller sealed box... typically the sealed version is still virtually flat comparatively at 60 hz and has to get down to 40 before you can see much of any difference at all. My thoughts are that this is somewhat of a waste for a center channel that is crossed over at 80 hz especially when Audessey can smooth things out somewhat.

I was also hoping to have a built in 15 degree or so tilt if possible, but I don't know how I could ever wrap it in real wood veneer like that.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Some people wouldn't agree that this could sound good, but I am going to try for a sealed box that is shorter and narrower than the normal cabinets, then of course make it symmetrical and turn it sideways. There are no published specs for these woofers available, but look at most any woofer in a ported box that is tuned below 35 hz then compare that to the same thing in a smaller sealed box... typically the sealed version is still virtually flat comparatively at 60 hz and has to get down to 40 before you can see much of any difference at all. My thoughts are that this is somewhat of a waste for a center channel that is crossed over at 80 hz especially when Audessey can smooth things out somewhat.

I was also hoping to have a built in 15 degree or so tilt if possible, but I don't know how I could ever wrap it in real wood veneer like that.

Interesting idea. I like the built in angle on the RP speakers, I think that can definitely help in most cases. What about if you veneer it normally like on a square edged speaker, and just angle the face?

The problem is that when you go to route off the veneer, the bit would leave a bit chunk of veneer behind near the edge on the top, or actually eat in to the edge on the bottom. I don't know how you're supposed to do it. Parts Express has that vinyl veneer, I thought about ordering some to see how bad it clashes, it may be close enough. Should be able to cut that stuff with a utility knife. Of course I guess some guys just cut wood veneer with a utility knife anyway then sand it down. I don't know how hard this is.

imhope this works out for you. The crossover is based on them woofers being in a rf-7ii cabinet. Still not sure why you don't build the same size cabinet and just build it sideways and front port it.